Question Taum Sauk Section of the ozarks.

Hello,
    I am new to this forum and I would like to thank every one here, its great effort.

I am planing with a couple of friends to do Taum Sauck section of OT, its 3 days backpacking trip, and I have some concerns I need to go over.
    I will number them to make them clear

1- We will do it in late November, and based on some reviews it looks like the water is an issue there. Some streams and water pools are dry unless it rains. I do not know what to say here, I need to hear you guys on what are the major streams or rivers that will have water in it for sure.

2- Is the trail explicitly marked, any points where getting lost might become more possible.

3- Based on google maps, and this website:
    http://www.ozarktrail.com/taumsauk.php

it looks like, to my understanding, that there is a parking lot at Highway A, where the trail intersect with it, and another one at Highway 21. Are these easy accessible by small cars? and is it ok to park there while we are gone?. and how to get from end point t back to our car?

4- Any information is appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.
    Mazen.

Hammock
    GT Ultralight
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge 4s
    Suspension
    Loops/Straps/Dutch
    Hi Mazen- I did part of this hike back in March of this year, it's a great section to hike.

I parked/started at the HWY 21 trailhead, it's a large gravel parking lot with plenty of room. I left my vehicle there for 2 days and it was fine. I did an out and back so shuttling me or vehicle back and forth was not an issue. The trail was well marked when I was there as well.

There is claybaugh creek not far from the hwy 21 TH which is a reliable water source, also another creek (intermittent) at the bottom of Taum Sauk mtn, it was flowing good in March, can't say how november will be. I topped up there before the climb up Taum Sauk. After you get over Taum Sauk there is Mina Sauk falls which should have water, then you'll have Taum Sauk creek. After Devils Tollgate I can't say what there is for water because that's where I turned around.

Have fun!

Hammock
    Darien UL, Ridgerunner, DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazen View Post
    Hello,
    I am new to this forum and I would like to thank every one here, its great effort.

I am planing with a couple of friends to do Taum Sauck section of OT, its 3 days backpacking trip, and I have some concerns I need to go over.
    I will number them to make them clear

1- We will do it in late November, and based on some reviews it looks like the water is an issue there. Some streams and water pools are dry unless it rains. I do not know what to say here, I need to hear you guys on what are the major streams or rivers that will have water in it for sure.

2- Is the trail explicitly marked, any points where getting lost might become more possible.

3- Based on google maps, and this website:
    http://www.ozarktrail.com/taumsauk.php

it looks like, to my understanding, that there is a parking lot at Highway A, where the trail intersect with it, and another one at Highway 21. Are these easy accessible by small cars? and is it ok to park there while we are gone?. and how to get from end point t back to our car?

4- Any information is appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.
    Mazen.
    I have done this section many times. Below is a link to the last set of videos and write up May 2013
    http://mustexplore.blogspot.com/2013_05_01_archive.html

This is probably the toughest section of the OT (not tougher than other trails, but rocky and rooty in sections.) The trail is very well marked these days. the only real decision come when crossing or not crossing the Black River near the Shut-Ins, but you can go around and that is marked also.
    November water should be no problem, you will need to plan for some very cold nights if the weather has shifted in that direction by then.
    Be careful of the 35 and raining scenario which is the most dangerous conditions to be out in
    Yes there is plenty of good parking at A and Hwy 21
    If you have any questions just let us know. By the way we are planning another MO hike Sept 19-20
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...eptember-19-21
    "nature speaks in the silence between words"
    www.mustexplore.blogspot.com

19MoHiker79,
    Thank you so much for replying, very helpful information, I might get back to you in case any questions come up.

Quote Originally Posted by Skygzr View Post
    I have done this section many times. Below is a link to the last set of videos and write up May 2013
    http://mustexplore.blogspot.com/2013_05_01_archive.html

This is probably the toughest section of the OT (not tougher than other trails, but rocky and rooty in sections.) The trail is very well marked these days. the only real decision come when crossing or not crossing the Black River near the Shut-Ins, but you can go around and that is marked also.
    November water should be no problem, you will need to plan for some very cold nights if the weather has shifted in that direction by then.
    Be careful of the 35 and raining scenario which is the most dangerous conditions to be out in
    Yes there is plenty of good parking at A and Hwy 21
    If you have any questions just let us know. By the way we are planning another MO hike Sept 19-20
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...eptember-19-21
    Hi Skygzr,
    Thanks for information. Very, very helpful reply.
    I saw that hike. I am planing a 3 days trip with a couple of friends, we did not yet fix the dates, the only thing I know, that its going to be near the end of November. I will see if we can join you guys, or at least I can join you, its a great chance to start some of the activities you guys usually arrange here.
    I will certainly get back to you with some questions. I am pretty sure I will have some more concerns as I am preparing more for this hike.

Hammock
    Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    HG CF w/Door
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Any time for an OT outing! Might I suggest 2 days on the current river from Powder Mill to Big Spring with a 3 day hike back up to Powder Mill? The best loop in Missouri, and only one car needed!
    My hammock...is MyD0j0!

Hammock
    GT Ultralight
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge 4s
    Suspension
    Loops/Straps/Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by MyD0j0 View Post
    Any time for an OT outing! Might I suggest 2 days on the current river from Powder Mill to Big Spring with a 3 day hike back up to Powder Mill? The best loop in Missouri, and only one car needed!
    I just kayaked 40 miles on the Current river, Akers Ferry to Two Rivers. It was an a great solo trip, went during the week to avoid the masses.

Hammock
    Wbrr
    Tarp
    Noahs 12
    Insulation
    New river uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Another good source for the ozark trail in General is a book called the ozark trail guide .

Hammock
    Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    HG CF w/Door
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MoHiker79 View Post
    I just kayaked 40 miles on the Current river, Akers Ferry to Two Rivers. It was an a great solo trip, went during the week to avoid the masses.
    That's a nice trip! Do you have your own kayak? What length?
    It appears many of the outfitters are starting to go with inflatable kayaks and I'm not sold on their durability. So I may be in the market for one soon... So much nicer than a canoe.
    My hammock...is MyD0j0!

Hammock
    GT Ultralight
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge 4s
    Suspension
    Loops/Straps/Dutch

Taum Sauk Section of the ozarks.

Quote Originally Posted by MyD0j0 View Post
    That's a nice trip! Do you have your own kayak? What length?
    It appears many of the outfitters are starting to go with inflatable kayaks and I'm not sold on their durability. So I may be in the market for one soon... So much nicer than a canoe.
    Yeah I have an Aruba 10 (10ft). It's an inexpensive recreational model but I've made some mods to it. Would like to get a liquid logic remix soon. Everyone I saw on rentals were all sit on top style. I prefer kayaking over canoing for sure.

Trip:
    http://youtu.be/9FbkycZAqs4
    Last edited by MoHiker79; 09-02-2014 at 13:48.

• + New Posts