Dutch PoylD 11' charcoal grey
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

what angle for ropes

I keep watching alot of video's with HH in them and it looks like most people pull there suspension ropes up pretty tight. alot closer to 10 or 15 degs not even close to the 30 deg that i keep hearing about.
    when I set my new one up last weekend but not able to sleep in it that day. i noticed that at 30 deg angle my RL was real loose and bug nut saged way down into hammock. as i got close to 20 deg I would say it started getting the RL up and seemed to get me more flat of a lay.
    Been playing with the Hammock App and seeing what stress it would be putting on trees and ropes with that angle.

What angles are people using when hanging a HH
    I have the DJ XL with Typhoon fly

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Backpacker UL
    Tarp
    Stock Diamond Tarp
    Insulation
    HHSS or HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I would agree with the 10-15 degrees that you commonly see. I have found that the stretch extends it to 30 degrees once I am in it, and it becomes comfortable. Dejoha, however, showed that an initial 30 degree hang does overcome the issue with the tarp settling when the angles change.

Perhaps some experimenting on your part to get a sense of what you find comfortable is the best approach.

Hammock
    HH Expedition & HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Stealing from Derek again http://theultimatehang.com/2014/01/r...-hammock-tarp/

I started hanging like the link above to get rid of the sagging tarp but I found an added benefit. Using the 30degree hang angle greatly reduced the calf line ridge I was experiencing when I was hanging my HH tighter.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The use of a structural ridgeline allows a tighter angle for the suspension ropes. But in any event, the 30* angle is considered to be a guideline, not a mandatory setting. The general geometry of the hammock body, not to mention your own, can change the optimal hang angle. So go by your experiential results. Not by what a general all purpose _guideline_ suggests.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincoupal View Post
    I would agree with the 10-15 degrees that you commonly see. I have found that the stretch extends it to 30 degrees once I am in it, and it becomes comfortable. Dejoha, however, showed that an initial 30 degree hang does overcome the issue with the tarp settling when the angles change.

Perhaps some experimenting on your part to get a sense of what you find comfortable is the best approach.

looking thru alot of old post on this topic i came across one that really stuck with me. sorry did not copy it to post link here.
    it talked about what i been seeing and thinking. that it is the 30 deg with you in the hammock. not with it hanging alone.
    i also dont need to worry about the fly cause mine is hung on it's own lines. so I'm feeling better about the angles on setup being closer to 15* and it setling to 30 with my butt in it.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Images
    It sounds like you ridgeline is too long. Check it and it should be 80%-85% of the length of the hammock length.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by cbsinnett View Post
    it is the 30 deg with you in the hammock. not with it hanging alone.
    Can anybody confirm this (or not)? I've also wondered this as I need to set my tree straps at around 7 feet high (even with normally spaced, maybe 15' apart trees) to get the 30 angle (with me NOT in the hammock yet).

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    IME the 30 is empty. But again, there are many variables so it is best to figure out what is best for YOU.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    IME the 30 is empty. But again, there are many variables so it is best to figure out what is best for YOU.
    Yeppers I'm at that point after getting my DJ XL and my son's ultralite backpacker out this morning and doing some measurements.
    came up with that both are set at 89% RL to hammock length.
    most every video I watch that has a HH set up in they are hung pretty flat with suspension but when they get in them it sags down to a better hang angle.
    that is what i noticed with ours too.
    With me in it I could still put a 45 plus deg bend in RL so never felt it was hung to tight.
    thanks for all the extra insite into this. just wanting to do things right and not over stress any part of the setup.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Stealing from Derek again http://theultimatehang.com/2014/01/r...-hammock-tarp/

I started hanging like the link above to get rid of the sagging tarp but I found an added benefit. Using the 30degree hang angle greatly reduced the calf line ridge I was experiencing when I was hanging my HH tighter.
    Very informative, I like a lot of his videos and reviews. thanks for sharing