Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Have you tried to sleep in the hammy yet? Some just can't get the hang of it at all and give up. Some take a few times before they're comfortable enough to sleep. Some take to it instantly.

My first Winter hang was in my backyard at ~ 28*F (-2.2*C). I used a walmart pad and fleece blanket while wearing long johns and tshirt, long sweats, 2 pair socks, beanie hat. My cheap rectangle Walmart bag (rated 50-60*F) was around the rig like a peapod from the foot end up with my jacket on head end to close it all up.

The pad was a little hard to stay on at first, but, it finally worked. Woke up sometime around 3 for bathroom and the bag was frozen and frosted on the outside, but warm enough inside. I did get cold feet and that was all, but, not cold enough to keep me awake.

I also recommend starting in backyard or close to a bailout option if possible. If your experienced in cold camping in tent, take it if going in woods in case your not comfy enough the first night in the hammy. Definitely go with friends, they can help you dial in your rig while your in it.

Take pics of your hang for us.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Military Sleep Sys
    Well if you ever want to go winter camping again, we had get 30*f on forth of July! Just so you know what I'm up against. It was 50*f this morning at 6 am. Probably down to about 45*f around midnight low. So I have to go "winter" camping in the back yard to test my gear!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Ha, that's the temp inside my fridge. I guess I need a big refrigerator to "Winter" camp here. There are very few times the temps go below freezing here. And we cherrish everyone of them here.

This past MLK weekend in January, at 4th Annual Florida Hang, we hit a record low(for this hang)of 23*F. I guess you'll be there by the end of this month

And get off the forums and go watch some Shug vids!
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Military Sleep Sys
    I would watch Shug if I wasn't working.

Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Military Sleep Sys
    And just so you know I'm not just spouting off at the mouth, here is a screen capture of AccuWeather.com showing temps for July 4th 2014IN the city of park falls, WI. My buddy normally camps out in the country where the temp drops by 10*f due to the fact there is almost no tarmac to hold the suns heat.IMG_20140903_064701484_HDR.jpgIMG_20140903_064701484_HDR.jpgIMG_20140903_064701484_HDR.jpg

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Are you trying to just use the MSS, or will you have insulation under you as well?

If you're just in the MSS, there is no way you'll make -50, -30, probably not even 0. The MSS rating is based on sleeping in all combat gear also, not just the bag itself - keep that in mind. You also need more under you than you would on the ground, due to heat loss from convection with the air below the hammock.

In a hammock, an insulation between you and the hammock will be compressed, and not as effective. Synthetic's will still provide some, down: basically nothing. A good example: I use a fleece lined 20*F LL Bean camp bag in my indoor hammock. It's rated to 20*F, and fairly true to that rating on the ground, with a pad. In the hammock it'll get chilly on my back side below 65*F, and is comfortable at 70-72 my house is usually at. On a bed, or on the ground I'd be over heating.

Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Military Sleep Sys
    IMG_20140905_103500507.jpgIMG_20140905_103500507.jpgHere's my new hammock, buddy gave it to me so tonight's going to be the first night out. I'll let you know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Have you tried to sleep in the hammy yet? Some just can't get the hang of it at all and give up. Some take a few times before they're comfortable enough to sleep. Some take to it instantly.

My first Winter hang was in my backyard at ~ 28*F (-2.2*C). I used a walmart pad and fleece blanket while wearing long johns and tshirt, long sweats, 2 pair socks, beanie hat. My cheap rectangle Walmart bag (rated 50-60*F) was around the rig like a peapod from the foot end up with my jacket on head end to close it all up.

The pad was a little hard to stay on at first, but, it finally worked. Woke up sometime around 3 for bathroom and the bag was frozen and frosted on the outside, but warm enough inside. I did get cold feet and that was all, but, not cold enough to keep me awake.

I also recommend starting in backyard or close to a bailout option if possible. If your experienced in cold camping in tent, take it if going in woods in case your not comfy enough the first night in the hammy. Definitely go with friends, they can help you dial in your rig while your in it.

Take pics of your hang for us.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    For what it's worth, I'm going through the "teaching a new hanger" with my uncle right now. He's trying to take the cheap road out.. thought about using a MSS he currently owns as his only form of insulation.. let me share my own experience with you, just like I did with him:

I started out trying to use a 0° EMS sleeping bag in a hammock. I had taken it BELOW -10° on the ground, using a hot water bottle, a bag liner, and bivy sack. And in fact, it's still my setup for when I need to go to ground in the winter.

I could take it to about 30° in a hammock. Why? Because my butt was compressing all the insulation under me, and I was losing heat big time off my butt and back.

I went to walmart, bought a 35° cheapo poly filled kids (5' long) rectangular sleeping bag, sewed channels into it... Gods know it was ugly.. it was the first thing I ever sewed. Wanna see it?

There it is!! I could take that with my 0° sleeping bag down to about 20° with a liner and hot water bottle, because both layers of the cheap sleeping bag's insulation was below me, and uncompressed. But god it was bulky. But I used it, for over a year. Then I picked up a used Insultex Underquilt on the forums, that was rated to about 30°.. I lost some temp rating, but I lost a lot of bulk too.

Insulation is something you don't cut corners on. Especially an Underquilt. You can put whatever you want IN the hammock, and on top of you. It's the same problem you face anywhere.. cold at home in bed? Grab a second or (in my wife's case) 5th blanket. A space blanket. all the clothes you packed.. Hot water bottle, Hot Hands warmers, a girl, a dead ton ton.. whatever. Anything can go IN with you but UNDER you, is another story. Your hammock is a Single Layer.. a pad is doable, but hard. and it takes away from the lay of a hammock. An Underquilt that doesn't fit right, or is improperly made will make your night miserable.

You know what my uncle ended up doing? He went to Arrowhead equipment and bought himself a Jarbridge underquilt It'll get him down to 25°, which is fine for him. But with other tips and tricks that number can be pushed a little.

Feel free to experiment.. most of us have done it. But at the same time, we're urging you to learn from our mistakes and save some money on gear that won't work.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Check Walmart etc for pads. There are two kinds, a coarse polyethylene type foam that is stiff and a very fine grain volarafoam type pad that is pretty flexible. I have even seen laminates of the two. You want the fine grain type pad. Slip a shorty pad into the hammock under your butt to shoulders as a booster for the quilt/pod. Easier to manage and lets you go colder by fixing the worst spots for compression.

I'll say what the others are saying. Try anything at or close to home first in a setup where you can easily bail out to a warm building. It's not being a wuss to try systems out and find them wanting.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Military Sleep Sys
    I'll try a 0* sleeping bag tonight and report in the morning how it went and what outside temp was.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast