Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    First hammock I slept in was a borrowed Hennessy because my buddy wanted a Clark. Eventually he took his Hennessy back and I bought one of the early explorers about the time the hex tarp came out. ;-) We made and played with a lot of alternatives but that is my goto today.

It's really nice to see somebody like Dutch point out Tom's products and their place in the hammock world. I kind of view him like Henry Ford. He brought a decent complete package to the mass market even if they are green instead of black. ;-) It gives the other folks something to compete against and keeps getting a lot of people off the ground. Good stuff at a reasonable price.
    Last edited by nothermark; 09-01-2014 at 21:15.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Yep. I don't use an HH anymore, but the ULB was my first, as well.

It was Sgt Rock that got me to take the plunge.

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    9X11 DIY Syl
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    Before I became a DIYer, I very much considered buying a Hennessy. Without stumbling upon his website or videos, I don't remember which, I may be using a one-man shelter - on the ground. Never met the man, but thanks to him who sent me on my way...

Pro V

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Never owned one, never even tried one. But I use to have his site favorited on my computer, before finding HF.

Tom without a doubt lit the fire under me.

Thanks for this Dutch and Thanks Tom!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I no longer say publicly how many hammocks I own. I will say that although I started with a DIY based upon instructions from IMRISK's site for the "Test Hammock", my first full blown hammock camping set up was my HH Expl UL I purchased a decade or more ago. I am still using one today.

It was shortly after I had that first one that I bought my first JRB Nest and No Sniveller. I made the mistake of letting my wife try it out and that whole set up became hers. I picked up another HH Expl UL and No Sniveller and still use them today.

Although our gear list in our family has expanded as the cottage industry has grown, it's good to reflect back a bit.

Much of my early gear choices and Christmas wish list items were thanks to what I learned from Sgt. Rock, JustJeff, and the Jacks, as well as others from Whiteblaze before HF started up nearly 8 years and over 33,000 members ago. I greatly valued the "what if we tried _____" conversations and threads that turned into gear prototypes, then custom made items, and finally cottage industry businesses by people like Brandon and Dutch et al. The list goes on and rather than try to place all the names of folks who I've purchased gear from, corresponded with, and shared campfire time with I will stop with the names right now.

Thanks Dutch for reminding us to remember. Without roots, there'd be no trees and without the roots you reminded us of, there'd likely be a lot less to hang from the trees.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Images
    Ditto for everything said in the OP by Dutch. I had my 1st hammock sleep and trip under my belt- one week in Sept 06 above 10,000+ ft in the Wind River Mountains of WY- before I found HF a few months later. I was referred by a hammock hanging friend to the concept of hammock hanging in general and TH's site specifically. I knew of no other back packing oriented hammocks, or really I knew nothing about any hammocks period. And truthfully, there were few others. I went to his site, and ended up talking with TH about my planned trip. I ended up ordering a HH UL Explorer and a Super Shelter. When it arrived a week before my trip, it was 100F around here and I was on the cell phone with Tom, talking from my backyard, trying to figure out how to stay off the ground with my trees which were 21 feet apart. I got that part(how not to sag to the ground) figured out, but the HHSS was a different story. I could not stand to be out in the heat- and sweating in my new hammock- long enough to figure out the mystery. So when I settled in on my 1st night with severe altitude sickness and the mystery of the HHSS, and a low of 22F, let's just say the trip was quite a learning experience.

But after I got back, despite the miserable start on that trip, I realized something had changed. I kept thinking back to how, after the 1st freezing night anyway, I had the most profoundly comfortable, restful sleeps while deep in that wilderness. And that happened in an HH. A few more talks with Tom once I got back helped me figure out how to tweak the hammock, tiny tarp and HHSS. TH got me started!

When I got to HF a few months later, HHs and the occasional Speer(or DIY versions) were pretty much the hammocks of choice here, with HH dominating. And most folks had a similar story to me.

To this day, that original system is still a pretty strong contender when I am trying to decide on which hammock to take for a backpack! It is always hard to decide between that system vs my JRB bridge with MWUQs vs Claytor No Net with PeaPod. I would probably pick the JRB bridge if only considering hammocks, but deciding on which insulation system I feel like using always makes it a tough choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Believe me, there should be another thread that is titled Ode to JRB. You guys moved it down the road many more miles. Everyone should know how you had basically the first quilts, larger tarps, bridge hammocks, tarp tensioners, upgraded suspensions. Also was a great help in getting my start and was the sole outlet for my products back when I was just a youngin'.
    Yep, in addition to the whole TQ/UQ thing started years ago, and a great tarp, the inventors of the bridge camping hammock!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-02-2014 at 12:15.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    My thanks go out to Tom and JRB. I own 2 HH and they are my "go to" hammocks for camping. I now own 3 JRB quilts (1 Nest and 2 Old Rag) and could not be happier. Nice to know some history on the products I love.

thanks Dutch

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    In late 2002 I was planning my thru-hike and doing research for what type of shelter to use. I went out on a limb, so to speak, and chose a hammock. An Ultra Light Backpacker Asym to be exact. The next spring I was on Springer Mountain and slept in my HH for the first time. I think hammocks are the perfect solo shelter for thru hiking. At trail days I got to meet Tom and thank him for his innovations that made me so comfortable. However I don't need to preach to the choir about hammocks.

What I really want to press upon everyone is that Tom Hennessy was on the forefront of this industry. He has changed many people lives for the better making this a much better place to sleep. JRB also were early leaders, but they built their business providing gear specifically for Hennessys. I doubt most of us venders would have an industry to supply if it weren't for Tom bringing hammocks to the masses. When you are laying in your Warbonnet/Dream hammock/BMB/Wilderness logics hammock give thanks to Tom. We are all riding his coat tails. Believe me there would be no Tarp Flyz, Stingerz, Dutch Clips, or what ever if it weren't for Tom. I doubt there would be an HF except Tom brought hammocks to the masses and made it popular enough that HF was a spin off of White Blazes. Many of us have only been here a short time, Tom saw the promise early was one of the great early innovators. His marketing and ability to bring products to the market has started something big. There were others and I am sure it would have taken off sooner or later but he certainly was one of the great ones. I still use my ULBA and it has more miles on it than any other hammock I own. So if you ever get a chance to meet him, shake his hand and give him the appreciation he deserves.
    I didnt start as long ago as you but my venture into hammocking started because of hh. I saw a video of someone reviewing a hh with the velcro closure. I was amazed. The concept of being able to climb up into a hammock and the opening seal itself was just far away from what I thought camping was. I was not in a position to be buying solo gear and could not afford such a luxury. So I would get gear for me and my son to go and maybe my family.
    So my hammocking was delayed, but it didnt stop me from talking about hh.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've been so happy with my HH as well, it's certainly a big part of my backpacking experience as well, and I share the perception that Tom Hennessy brought a lot of the innovation to the industry, and sometimes doesn't get the credit he deserves. His kit is really good quality, and while there may be cheaper ways to do it, I really like having the fully integrated system put together so that I can just get out and backpack.

Finding my HH hammock was the first step I took a few years ago to updated equipment to get me into a more lightweight form of backpacking, and I wouldn't give it up for anything. Being able to sleep comfortable, anywhere, is the bonus that I didn't expect but brag about to everyone I meet.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Great post. I still have and use my HH ULBP from the same era. Tom H always seemed to be the kind of person I would enjoy meeting and thanking for his contribution.
    We also need to thank the guy who took (and neglected to return) Tom's Jungle Hammock. This event is what lit the spark in Tom to create the modern camping hammock. ... And I'm sure this guy is here on HF :>)
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast