Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    My first true camping hammock was an ULB by HH. I slept in it many a night before the DIY bug bit and I was forever changed. I have shook Tom's hand and thanked him for turning me into a hanger. I would also love to thank Risk, Sgt. Rock, Ed Spear, and Just Jeff for their very helpful sites before I found HF.

It just goes to show what one can do if they find something that (s)he is passionate about.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Images
    I've got a full boat of Hennessies. It was my first and has continued to be my primary. I have a couple DIY hammocks that I love and even one I call the stealth fighter I bought from a fellow forum member that is really sweet. I just keep coming back to my Explorer with the Mod 4.

Yes I have tweaked it and made it my own but, as they say, you never forget your first love. I watched Tom's videos for months and looked at what seemed like hundreds of other hammocks and read a ton on HF before buying what I did. His innovation, vision and salesmanship were what hooked me. I haven't regretted one moment of it and I've never looked back. I'll never go back to ground until they put me six feet under it.

Elevated perspective indeed. I may one day sleep exclusively in another brand but I'll always remember and think fondly of that bearded fellow showing so eloquently the ease and function of hammocks in general and the beauty of his design specifically.

We all stand on the shoulders of giants. Tom Hennessy is but one of many. Thanks Dutch for the thread. Well intended and graciously posted to.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    +1 on what Dutch said. Tom was thinking out of the box and was one of the early innovators.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    Interesting write-up Dutch. I have to admit that I was just about ready to order a HH when I found this site. After a few more weeks researching I did change my mind and bought a WBBB but I have always been intrigued with HH. Who knows one may make its way into my gear closet one of these days. Thanks for the history lesson.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    My first hammock was a Hennessy expedition asym, and I loved it but I just got too tall to use it so I had to get a longer hammock. I really enjoyed that Hennessey and I plan on buying a deep safari some time soon. I appreciate Tom for helping me get started!
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I got here by way of JRB and HH, in that order. In 2006 was gearing up for a Philmont trek with 2 sons, looking to cut weight using quilts rather than sleeping bags. Stumbled onto the JRB site, where I saw pictures of these things between trees that looked like they belonged on a Star Wars planet. Bought quilts. 1 year later, planning for a backpacking adventure with same sons in the White Mountains remembered the pictures, realized that those hammocks would open up way more camping opportunities on the trail. Bought 3 HH Explorers and now only camp on the ground when I have to.

Thanks Dutch for reminding the community about some of its roots.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    As a community we do owe Tom our thanks for what seemed like a big risk back then. Thankfully he took that risk pushing hammocks toward the mainstream which ultimately fueled a hammock industry.

Years ago when I was a ground dweller, someone on BPL mentioned hammocks and my Google search led me directly to Hennessey. That was my first look at a camping hammock.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Thanks Dutch! It Tom who pushed me to look at hammocks in 2007. He had this octagonal thing set up at the 07 world scout jamboree. He had the scouts I was with jump in the hammocks. They sure did look comfy. I declined to try one out at the time. He said here take this CD home. Check it out, if you like what you see, I am offering a discount to the scouts who are at the world jambo.

I got back home from England, threw the CD in the computer, got excited at what I saw. Talked to the wife and placed an order for a explorer and deluxe. They also came with free hex tarps as well as the aysm tarps. Not a bad deal. Found out how great they were to use camping in Fla. Other scouters took note, and asked a lot of questions. They too followed me.

Thanks Tom for changing the way I sleep in the woods.

And thanks for taking the time to experiment many hours hacking up a GI surplus jungle hammock to make it your own design!

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Thumbs up

First real venture into hammock camping was with several of his first generation Hammocks ... heck they weren't even asym! Good old HH, foam pad and sleeping bag. This was our first night using them in Linville Gorge at the east end of Cambric Trail back in November 2001.

First time using hammocks was back in the mid seventies with a Vietnam surplus jungle hammock HEAVY and not that comfortable! So hats off to the man from Canada and his innovations!

2866211741_c2b7f9a3e6_o.jpg

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird/WB RR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    AE New River MM TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Agreed, we all owe a big thanks to Tom for making us hammock addicts.

A HH Exped was my first hammock and I still used it occasionally. It's a well made hammock and it sure beats sleeping on the ground.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast