Hammock
    DIY Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Squidbill winter t
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Tarp Door guyline?

I weathered out a nasty storm this weekend under my winter tarp. I had the doors pulled out straight because it was hot. I have 3' of shock cord with linelocs at the tarp and door hooks on the ends. When the wind kicked up, I tried to close the doors. It was so windy that the doors just blew everywhere and wouldn't keep out the blowing rain. Would it be okay to change to something like glowire or do the doors need to have some give?

On a side note, I am using lineloc3's and glowire on my other tieouts. I snugged them down once during the storm and they held tight and no noticeable sag even though I'm not using self tensioning lines.

On another side note, a winter tarp, staked out wide with a pole mod creates an absolutely huge amount of space!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    That's a problem with these summertime thunderstorms. Most of the time you have the tarp pitched for ventilation-not to be able to overlap the doors where you have the most protection from wind. And the wind from a sudden thunderstorm can be harsh and multi-directional. While it's nice to have some "give" in your tie-outs, ( shock cord keeping the pitch tight and giving you a little shock absorption) it doesn't hurt to just use static cordage on the doors to help keep them closed.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    3' of shock cord seem like a lot. Do you have a non-stretch cord in parallel with this?

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Squidbill winter t
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    No just straight shock cord on the doors. I think I'll just get another hank of glowire for the doors.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have weathered several heavy rain storms with out doing anything with the doors on my winter tarp. Been lucking in that aspect so far. I have tried several sock cord methods folks have shared on the forum and am still trying to decide which one works best of me.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Tarp guy line 101, lineloc, self tensioning

minute 7:20 appox shows the shock cord in parallel with non-stretch cord, put this close to tarp or close to ground stake or in-between does to make much difference:

one of the most popular and useful threads on linelocs:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...tarp-guy-lines

Thread by headchange4U:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...arp-Tensioners

I found these links very useful, perhaps you already watched this video and read these threads, please forgive me if I did not understand your question. A bit of self tensioning on a SilNylon tarp is just to reduce the wind flapping IMO. Crossing over the door flaps only requires a low-stretch cord, but when I suspend them up high for only light rain or no rain (sun shade) I like to have a bit of shock cord in the line. If a strong wind comes or a small branch falls on it this could provide a bit of protection as well, not much, mostly just wind flapping is all shock cord is for.
    Edit: never used Glowire brand but looked up specs I have used similar and glowire looks great make sure diameter matches your linelocs, well it obviously does?
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 09-03-2014 at 15:17. Reason: Edit: glow wire brand looks good 2.5mm ?

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I just use glowire, i think it's best to be able to close up tight and ride it out

• + New Posts