Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennesy Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex - for xmas

Need some experienced help please

My 14 yr old son and I have reciently caught the hammock camping (both HH Explored deluxe zip)bug and love it, and getting into it so late in the year we have found out about the cold issues with no bottom insulation. We would like to continue with camping into the cooler fall season as fall is our favorite time of year. We have been using our thermorests that we used for the tent but they are a real pain. I have looked at under quilts and would like to buy us each one but the price is keeping me from doing that. I just can not justify spending that kind of cash right now to buy one, let alone two. I realize that an underquilt would be the best idea but it's just not going to happen, so I have switched my focus to the HH supershelter. I have been reading reviews and see that there are lots of mixed feelings about them. I realy like the fact that the under cover mirrors the whole bottom of the hammock with the hammock tied out as I like alot of room to move around. Now from what I have read the under pad only covers a small area beneath you and I would like it to cover more. On the HH site they sell replacement undercovers only. My question is how tight does the undercover fit to the bottom of the hammock and can it be adjusted to fit looser (if looser is a word. lol). Would it be possible to put a sleeping bag between the Hammock and the UC with out compressing the sleeping bag too much. BTW weight and bulk is not an issue for the camping I do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I just gotta say that this hammocking thing is realy addicting.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    0 Lynx, MMSS
    Something you can do is use some sort of closed cell pad (or in my case a gold's gym exercise pad) with some reflectix insulation (you can get some for like $23 for 25 feet at most hardware type stores) on top of pad to reflect heat. It can cause some condensation. It is not perfect but it works until you decide to save up for an UQ.

I am not familiar with the Supershelter so I cannot help you there.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    So you can't justify the purchase of a 20 degree 3/4 UQ for $199, but you can justify the purchase of a Supershelter for $149.95 that doesn't even include the overcover? If you can't justify the cash layout for an UQ right now, how do you come up with spending 25% less to get a foam pad and some silnylon? Sounds penny-wise and pound foolish to me.

If you don't like the UQ, you can sell it for darned near what you paid for it. If you don't like the Supershelter, you'll probably have to sell it for 30 to 40% discount because there are a limited number of Supershelter enthusiasts. If I were to buy a Supershelter, I'd go with all synthetic insulation because you're going to get a lot of condensation. Silnylon, spaceblankets and the pad are all vapor barriers. You'll be swimming in your own juices, and all that moisture would degrade the performance of down.

Personally, I'd ditch the Thermarest, get a cheap ccf pad, and deal with it till you can afford an UQ. I used a synthetic 0* sleeping bag and ccf pad for two years, down to as low as 22* F, and was comfortable (although swimming in my own condensation every morning).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex - for xmas
    Thats the problem, I don't want a 3/4 UC, I want a full length one that will work with my HH when it is staked out on both sides. Is there an UQ that will work for this. Keep in mind that I will have to buy two of them and that drives the price up.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Jacks or Better The Nest is a perfect fit for any of the HH ...if you want lower temp get The Winter Nest. If you don't have a bottom opening, no issues...just seal the Velcro and use it on any gathered end hammock.

edited:

Sorry just realized you are looking for a lower cost alternative than an UQ. Personally I would not spend money on the SS but that is just me. I have never had one so can not speak from first hand experience but what stopped me from getting one was after reading all the information on the forums and You Tube about them it just seemed like more putzing around than I wanted to do.

Before I got my UQ I used a Walmart blue pad and a DIY pad extender for the shoulder area. Over the top I used my sleeping bag. I had no issues staying warm down to about 20F with a set of merino wool long johns, wool sox, watch cap, and gloves on. I also made my pad extender out of fleece so it would help wick moister as they are a vapor barrier.

Shug talks about the set up here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFWs6UH7C74
    Last edited by dkurfiss; 09-02-2014 at 13:33.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Arrowhead Equipment's Potomac fits the bill nicely:

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...der_Quilt.html

Granted, its $50 more than the Super shelter, but as you say, the SS has "issues", particularly with durability.

The question is are you ready to spend $300 this year, and another $400 next year after the SS fails to meet your expectations or does not stand up to use, or bite the bullet on $400 this year for a piece of gear that will last a lifetime?

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Put a "want to buy" post up requesting an under quilt in the price range you can afford. Synthetic is a good start. I bought a used Arrowhead Equipment full length New River under quilt for a good price.

If you post what you want and what you can afford, people will let you know what they have and if they can help.....or if you need to pony up some more cash.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Arrowhead Equipment's Potomac fits the bill nicely:

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...der_Quilt.html

Granted, its $50 more than the Super shelter, but as you say, the SS has "issues", particularly with durability.

The question is are you ready to spend $300 this year, and another $400 next year after the SS fails to meet your expectations or does not stand up to use, or bite the bullet on $400 this year for a piece of gear that will last a lifetime?
    This is the smart play here imo, AHE is the way to go !!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex - for xmas
    Thanks for the replys guys, these anawers are what I was hoping for. Like I said, I am new to the hammock thing and need all the advice and help I can get. I never heard of the arrowhead UQ before but after doing some research on it, it looks like exactly what I am after and the extra money isn't an issue considering I would sooner have an UQ anyway. Thanks again guys.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bstomper View Post
    Thanks for the replys guys, these anawers are what I was hoping for. Like I said, I am new to the hammock thing and need all the advice and help I can get. I never heard of the arrowhead UQ before but after doing some research on it, it looks like exactly what I am after and the extra money isn't an issue considering I would sooner have an UQ anyway. Thanks again guys.
    You won't be sorry with those Potomacs. I used one on my HHDJ for a couple of years before diving head first into DIY. Now my son uses it on his Expedition.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast