Tarp
    Superfly or Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies

Jarbidge or New River

Hey folks,

I'm giving serious thoughts to trading in my Eno Vulcan UQ for an AHE UQ. The trouble is working out which one to get.

I am not a thin guy, about 235# on a 6 foot frame, and while I like the thought of shaving 10 oz off the quilt weight and carrying less bulk, I worry about coverage. How much of a difference is there in comfort between using a 3/4 quilt with a foot pad vs a full length? Also, how significant is the width difference between the two. 6" difference in width doesn't sound like much, but am I making a newbie mistake? Haven't hammocked below about 55 degrees yet.

Also, does the Jarbidge have the same loops along the side as described for the New River?

Thanks!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Full Length versus Partial Length comes up frequently here is my general thoughts on it. Choosing between the two are a couple factors. Partial length quilts came about to reduce pack volume and make use of a pad that can serve double duty as a sit pad around camp or on the trail...make that log a little more comfortable. Some pack manufactures also use a pad as the back support...mostly ultralight packs....so now the pad could serve 3 uses making it more functional for the weight to carry. In the long run it works out as a net weight savings over a full length quilt.

Full length quilts like the New River however can function warmer as if you roll over and the pad moves out from under your feet they get cold and you wake up...a full length quilt does not have that issue. They let you stretch out and your still insulated.

The Jarbidge does not have the side loops...being smaller in size/weight it does not need the extra support along it's length the day the New River could.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    If you haven't slept below 55 yet, the first question is, will you? Either one will work as Paul said but the next thought becomes personal preference and use. Are you concerned about a little more weight or pack size?

I own both UQs in question. I like the full length. I am 6' 2" and like knowing I will not wake up because my feet are off the pad. The full length is full coverage and very cozy. The 3/4 feels warm but, well, it's not full coverage.

To be honest, I bought the 3/4 for my 15 year old son because it gives him almost full coverage. If I want to backpack at a longer distance and need to save space and weight, I will use the 3/4. Otherwise, it's the full length for me.

Being a big guy, my gut tells me you should have the full length unless you never plan to travel that far or below 55 degrees.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I've got the New River UQ and really like it. The full coverage offers more warmth and there is no worry of your pad moving around causing cold spots. Does great on those chilly Ga winter nights.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly or Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Thanks all!

Yeah, I plan on being below 55. I camp year round, (in Georgia, mind you, not Minnesota, though, so a 3 season quilt for me means fall, winter, and spring) ...it's just that I was a ground dweller until late spring of this year.

I *am* trying to keep my pack weight down, though, but I'm not going to be miserable for 10 ounces of weight, so I guess that's the key...how much of a comfort difference is there? On the other hand, I do a good deal more car camping than backpacking.

The pad will not likely get used for a sit pad, nor for backpack support (in my current pack, anyway)...I'm carrying a hammock anyway, and probably a gear sling, and either makes for a much more comfy chair than I can imagine a sit pad on a rock or log would.

One question...do you keep the pad in the footbox of your top quilt, or under it? My wife uses one of those Big Agnes sleeping bags where the pad fits in a sleeve, and I guess, based on that, I assumed that's how it would work with the TQ.

Anyway you guys have helped me sound out the issues. The lack of a resounding, "Oh, it's really the same experience" makes it sound like I may be best doing the New River, at least for now, and then maybe later investing in a Jarbidge for backpacking / having a spare on hand for when the wife or one of the kids decides to try hammocking instead of tenting.

Thanks!!!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Everyone is different...of course. But for me personally...take it for what you will....Using a pad does not faze me in the least. I don't notice it, think about it, really at all. I and most others will tell you to shove it down in the bottom of the top quilt to keep it in place. I turn from side to side throughout the night and don't tend to think about the pad much at all. Other folks fight and fidget with a pad all night long...again personal preference and depends on how active your feet/legs are. I got used to the pad and almost only use partial length quilts.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    You'll want to keep the pad in the footbox of your TQ so it will stay under your feet.

• + New Posts