Hammock
    DIY Gathered-End
    Suspension
    UCRs, Marlin Spike

Panthertown Valley Solo - Labor Day 2014

Hey guys, thought I'd throw together a report of my backpacking trip this last weekend. I got to Panthertown Valley, NC around 6 pm on Saturday, and set up camp at one of the first campsites on the Mac's Gap trail. The rain started about the time I got to the campsite, and a few minutes later I was under my tarp, setting up the hammock and hoping my DIY tarp would hold up to its first real thunderstorm. I settled in, did some reading, and dozed off to a drizzle, only to be awoken by claps of thunder and the sound of gigantic raindrops pummeling my tarp. I guess my seam sealing was adequate, because I stayed completely dry

Woke up with the sun the next morning, packed up camp, and hit the trail for the short hike up Big Green Mountain. The clearly-marked trail followed a gradual incline, ending at a fork where I met two hikers trying to decide which way to go. They had just come from the left and reported nothing, so I went to the right. The trial got really narrow and was only marked by a few taped limbs, but I made my way down to a small clearing on top of the cliff face. It was a spectacular view, so I sat down, made some tea, and enjoyed

Back down the mountain, I followed the Great Wall trail to the bottom of the cliff face I was just on top of. It was a crazy perspective; the steep rock face was smooth and curved, and it made me appreciate just how high up I had been on top. From there I went to Granny Burrel falls, where some kids were sliding down the rock into the pool at the bottom. Connected back with Mac's Gap -> Panthertown Valley -> Green Valley -> Mac's Gap -> Little Green, up to the summit of Little Green Mountain. The top was a lot like Big Green, but more open and level than its big sister. I couldn't help but laugh at all the ground dwellers drying out their clothes and tents on the rocks

After some dawdling, I continued down the Little Green trail to Schoolhouse Falls, where I would spend the night. The falls were gorgeous, like something out of a Bob Ross painting, and I took the path around the pool behind them and enjoyed the cool spray. I set up camp a few hundred yards downstream, pitched the tarp in porch mode, and fell asleep to the sounds of the insects.

I woke before the sun Monday morning and decided to eat by the Falls. Whipped up some tea and trail mix and watched the sky over the waterfall, enjoying what I thought was my last sight before heading home. I headed back to the trailhead, changed into my riding gear and loaded up the bike. I was on the road no more than a couple minutes when, coming out of the bushes on the left side of the road, I saw a huge black bear Apparently my motorcycle was too loud, and I woke up Mama and her babies or something, because she did not look too happy to see me... Luckily, she was coming out of the left side, and I was going fast enough to speed past her before she could get into my lane. I hate to think what could have happened if I had been a couple seconds behind, or if she had been on the right, but in the moment, I knew I was safely away, and all I felt was exhilaration - this was the first time I'd ever seen a bear! I laughed for about a mile down the road.

Comparatively, the trip home was uneventful, although I must say that 178 South is a fantastic road for motorcyclists All in all, it was a great trip, made even better by the fact that I was using all my DIY hammock gear...so once again, thank you to everyone on this site for your willingness to share.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Great pics and write up JarrBear.
    I've got to visit Panthertown one of these days.
    Pretty exciting seeing the bear.
    And the waterfalls.
    And cliffs.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.7Dbl Dream Hammock T
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Good to see some Panthertown pics. Haven't been there in a few years. Thanks for the trip report.

Hammock
    wbbb 1.1 dl, Traveler
    Tarp
    wb mamajamba
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    strap
    thanks for sharing

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Looks like a great trip--thanks for posting!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Thanks for sharing the adventure. That's a great place to hike and camp but the trails can be a little confusing at times.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

• + New Posts