Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware cinch

Have a 20 degree bag, thinking about a TQ

Do I go 20 to handle the cold or 40 for more flexibility since I have a 20 deg bag?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    How light is your existing 20 bag? What are your priorities (Weight, comfort, $...)? Are you a cold sleeper or warm sleeper? What seasons are you planning on camping in?

Do you have a pad/underquilt? What temp is that?

Do you have an over cover, sock, or bugnet? Those retain quite a bit of heat in themselves.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware cinch
    I'm a warmish sleeper. . . my current bag is a kelty cosmic down 20. Currently, I am shopping for insulation so I have no UQ at all, I do have a bug net but usually here in Arkansas, when it cools, bugs shouldn't be a big concern so I'm hoping to leave it at home.

I don't want to be grossly heavy, but I like to get out for fun and do enjoy myself. I certainly don't count grams.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Well is there any situation where you would want to leave your kelty at home? I think your choice is pretty clear: would you prefer to keep the kelty for colder temperatures, and use a 40 degree ultralight TQ the rest of the time, or would you rather have a slightly heavier (but still extremely light) 20 TQ for all seasons?

Of course this assuming your new TQ will be lighter than a kelty, which it most likely will be, and that you're willing to use a sleeping bag in a hammock (Some people say it's tough, I disagree).

You may find these threads helpful if you're concerned about overheating with a 20:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ghlight=burrow
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...comfortable-to

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    The historical average and extreme min and max temperatures for your region.
    Temp Data.png

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...ly/graph/72032

So a 40F should safely take you from March to November.

IMO the temp rating of your UQ/pad is more important than the TQ, and you should consider making it warmer than your TQ.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I have a 40° +1oz for lows around 35° and warmer. At least that's as low as I have tested it so far. So let's say possibly down to 30°. For deep winter, stupid-cold temps, I use my Marmot Pinnacle 15° sleeping bag, which I've taken down to near 0° with no problems. I find you can go way below the stated temp in a hammock - all that down bunched up on top of you is totally differnet than on the ground.

I don't think I get out enough in the winter to justify another TQ, so sticking with the sleeping bag for now.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    The historical average and extreme min and max temperatures for your region.
    Temp Data.png

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...ly/graph/72032

So a 40F should safely take you from March to November.

IMO the temp rating of your UQ/pad is more important than the TQ, and you should consider making it warmer than your TQ.
    I am all but certain I am going with a 20 deg uq. I had looked at the data you posted - that is what had me considering a 40 TQ for more flexibility.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Not to add even another option for you to consider but we offer a 30* which is right in the sweet spot for most folks from Southern states....

30*F Flight Jacket
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by jcblough View Post
    I'm a warmish sleeper. . . my current bag is a kelty cosmic down 20. Currently, I am shopping for insulation so I have no UQ at all, I do have a bug net but usually here in Arkansas, when it cools, bugs shouldn't be a big concern so I'm hoping to leave it at home.

I don't want to be grossly heavy, but I like to get out for fun and do enjoy myself. I certainly don't count grams.
    I forget who makes it but it's called a tech blanket. I think thermarest. I lightweight inexpensive tq option down to prob 50s

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    If you get the 20, you will obsolete your sleeping bag, which is fine as that's what most of us have done. Comes down to what your normal range of temps will be on your outings. The 20 TQ is the workhorse - plenty warm enough for all but the coldest winter conditions (where you are anyway) and plenty ventable to get you into the 50s, maybe low 60s in relative comfort.

The issue is going to be weight/bulk for those trips in warmer weather where you're really carrying too much insulation. And as you know, many nights can be well above the low 60s. I think a 20 TQ is going to be more insulative than that bag (just better quality, likely more down), but if you got a lighter TQ, you'd be able to use it in conjunction with the bag for lower temps. And the 40 TQ typically will take you a bit lower, so that encompasses a pretty good range of temps as it will also be more comfy when temps are mid 60s and up - at least more so than the 20. Together, the two would take you into the teens, potentially lower but wouldn't count on it.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast