Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by texron View Post
    From your sig I see you use the Yeti. So what do you do about your legs? Count on the overquilt to take care of it?
    Down to the low 40s - high 30s, yes, it's the topquilt's job. Works pretty good too! When it gets colder than that, I usually carry a small Gossamer Gear 1/8" pad, but have mostly just used my empty pack under my legs. This winter will hold a lot of testing, but based on last year's results I'm probably ditching the pads for good.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Wraith UL, XLC ,Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ & Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow,TeWa,GoLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Down to the low 40s - high 30s, yes, it's the topquilt's job. Works pretty good too! When it gets colder than that, I usually carry a small Gossamer Gear 1/8" pad, but have mostly just used my empty pack under my legs. This winter will hold a lot of testing, but based on last year's results I'm probably ditching the pads for good.

Pads just don't feel right in a Hammock.In my opinion, I realize others like them, my friend actually prefers them..he's a little sick though

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by texron View Post
    Pads just don't feel right in a Hammock.In my opinion, I realize others like them, my friend actually prefers them..he's a little sick though
    I agree (about the pads, I don't know your friend ).
    Nothing better to me than a nice comfy hammock wrapped and covered in downy goodness. But, pads sure are an inexpensive way to get started.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Wraith UL, XLC ,Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ & Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow,TeWa,GoLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Straps
    Images
    I agree (about the pads, I don't know your friend ).
    Nothing better to me than a nice comfy hammock wrapped and covered in downy goodness. But, pads sure are an inexpensive way to get started.
    You bet. Not veryone can afford, nor do they need a Snugfit with a Nunatak $$$$$.

Thanks for all the advice and the welcomes. Definitely going to be an exciting experience. I love backpacking but I really hate sleeping on the ground. Glad to be going to the sky!

Back on the subject of pads. I read a lot of you guys talking about cutting the pads down, and I was thinking of cutting it below my knees but isn't this going to result in frosty footsies? Also, I went and purchased the pad today and I only saw they had one kind (the $6 one). It's half an inch thick but only 20" wide. A little bit worried about drafts coming in through the sides. Is this the same one everyone else is rocking?

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by drninja View Post
    Thanks for all the advice and the welcomes. Definitely going to be an exciting experience. I love backpacking but I really hate sleeping on the ground. Glad to be going to the sky!

Back on the subject of pads. I read a lot of you guys talking about cutting the pads down, and I was thinking of cutting it below my knees but isn't this going to result in frosty footsies? Also, I went and purchased the pad today and I only saw they had one kind (the $6 one). It's half an inch thick but only 20" wide. A little bit worried about drafts coming in through the sides. Is this the same one everyone else is rocking?
    I use this same pad. If you decide to cut it, you can just throw your extra clothes or your pack under your lower legs/feet for insulation. Personally, I use the whole pad with no problems. The 20" width can cause some cold spots along the sides, but you can always make a "pad extender" to provide additional width across the shoulders.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    I have the blue wally pad cut into a size that fits inside my down bag, and it's been to the mid teens comfortably, not sure how cold that set up would go down to yet. Highly recomnend it.
    I'm very new to this whole hammock thing and I had never heard of this before... putting the pad inside the bag. Sounds interesting... is this pretty common? I'm scrambling to figure out some insulation ideas before the WI cold weather hits, preferably without spending too much more money.... this season I've already bought a new tent, two used bags, and I have a deal on a Clark NX200 in the works here. I imagine eventually my wife is going to start wondering what the heck I'm doing with all this money!

Anyway, to the original poster... I bought a Wally World pad the other day. Have to wait for a hammock to confirm or deny it's cold weather abilities.

Side-topic: I am from the Austin area. Miss it terribly... do me a favor and walk outside sometime and hug a tree, or kiss the ground or something, and tell Texas I miss 'er!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Yeti / Ultra 20
    Suspension
    Straps/Biners
    Cannibal, what topquilt do you use for those low 40's - high 30's?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokeEnthusiast View Post
    Cannibal, what topquilt do you use for those low 40's - high 30's?
    Either a down top quilt I got from Warbonnet or my DIY down quilt; whichever is closest to the pack when I'm packing. Both are about 2 - 2.5" loft. I also always wear mid-weight base layer tops and bottoms and usually a watch cap on my head.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    down top quilt I got from Warbonnet

OOOO a new toy maybe? or just helps to know people in places?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast