Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Hi
    I am wondering a couple of things. Why did you not flip the tarp over to get it the right way up?

and where are you from, I did notice a lack of Japanese accent in your movies

Otherwise, keep it up. You get better as you go and it get easier.
    Thanks
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Congratulations on your hang! Good or bad, they are a learning experience either way. The main thing is -you went!!

Hammock
    Hennesey Explorer
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Hi Gunn,

I can do a pretty fair JP accent if I try, but I'm an Aussie (originally a Queenslander)

Sakura is my oldest daughter, btw (watashi wa Mark desu)

I didn't flip the tarp because it was dark and I had only brought a wind-up torch with me... I wasn't expecting 'serious rain' like I got, though, or I would have had a go.

(I put the Japanese intro in there for Shug-san - he seems to enjoy that sort of stuff )
    Last edited by sakura1998; 08-05-2009 at 15:17.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.7 Dbl & ENO Dbl.
    Tarp
    GoLite Cave 2
    Insulation
    Thermarest or CCF
    Suspension
    Rings n' Straps
    Looks like you did OK.

I've had some serious misery in rain before. It gets easier with practice.. but after days of continual rain it gets harder and harder to keep stuff dry.

A few tips-

-Definitely get a headlamp. This will allow you to work at night and use both hands.

-Set up when it is light. It sounds like you knew this.. but now you "learned" this.

-In rainy weather I keep a set of dry clothes (mostly for bed/camp ... fleece bottoms, wool socks, and a long sleeved top) and a set of cloths that can get wet, (for hiking, collecting wood, etc) Keep them separate and put your wet clothes back on in the morning if expecting rain.. otherwise you will have two sets of wet clothes and no dry clothes the next night. This is much more important on longer trips when you can't run to town to dry out.

Otherwise.. it looks like you had fun.. and that is the most important thing.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    congrats on your first hang------trust me , it gets alot better! My first hang was a total disaster, just about everything went wrong, but it all works pretty smooth now! I almost think the first hang disaster is a rite of passage: every one has to go through the initiation process before things get better! anyway, welcome to the club!

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    Aus. army hootchie
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Images
    Great first hang Sakura-san.

Now get out there and do it again! LOL. Practice makes perfect.

The HH is great in the rain.

From watching your youtube videos, I've got a couple of pieces of advice...

1. Sling the hammock as tight as you possibly can (DO NOT use a truckie's hitch though). It'll be more comfortable for you - remember to lie diagonally in the hammock.

2. If it rains... you might normally tie out the tarp at a 45-55 degree angle, in the wet, tie it out at a 25-35 degree angle. I have survived monsoon rain without getting wet in this way.

3. Take a poncho liner or even a department store fleece blanket with you every time. If it's too warm to put over you, then roll it up and use it as a pillow. You would have become intimately acquainted with the cold air that flows over the bottom of the hammock by now.

Great videos and write-up.

Cheers mate.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mclmm View Post
    1. Sling the hammock as tight as you possibly can (DO NOT use a truckie's hitch though). It'll be more comfortable for you -
    This is a rather controversial piece of advice. While some folks have reported that being the case I, and a lot of others, have found quite the opposite to be true. I usually end up hanging what I would call "pre-sagged" where the ridgeline is just taut but hardly as tight as I can get it. The suspension is dropped to roughly 25-30* from horizontal. There is minimal initial drop in the hammock upon loading and I have been far more comfortable.

There is a lot of conversation between HH devotees about which is better. What it comes down to is you may need to try both out and see for yourself.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I'll call it not just controversial, but ill-advised. There is no need to pull the ridgeline overly tight, since the hammock will drop anyway under weight. Also, you're far more likely to snap the ridgeline - which has happened to quite a number of HH users.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    Aus. army hootchie
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Images
    Respectfully guys, I've tried both ways and settled on the taut line early on. In 8 years of hard use I've never had a problem with it being hung "overly tight" except the spectra main lines snapping due to the knot I used - since been swapped out for climbing accessory cord.

But as always, your mileage, etc...

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mclmm View Post
    Respectfully guys, I've tried both ways and settled on the taut line early on.
    While I agree with Angrysparrow, I did not kick it into the "ill advised" but it is still controversial. I would kick it into the "ill advised" for a webbing/buckle suspension as you _can_ string those much tighter than a rope suspension.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast