Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CBS during the night in hot weather

Hello all. I purchased the Yukon Outfitters bug net hammock and tarp off of Woot a month or so ago to see if I could get into hammock camping. Just spent my first two nights in the hammock and as the title states, I got CBS. I live in Texas and the weather was in the mid-80's at nighttime. I suspect that while I was hot and sweating throughout the night, the wind off the nearby lake cooled my backside down. The temperature in the morning was around 72 degrees. Hot on the front side and cold on the backside. So my question is while I wanted the wind to cool me down at first and didn't need any insulation on the bottom, by morning needed some. Have others experienced this? What are thoughts to combat this happening? Maybe put on clothes in the morning during the call of nature trip, or an 1/2 or 3/4 UQ slid down toward the feet and then moved into place when needed?

Also, I am 5'-10" tall and I've concluded that either I didn't pitch the hammock correctly or that the Yukon is too short and/or not wide enough, because I woke up with knee pain right below my knee cap from what seems to be hyper extension of my legs (patellar tendon?). The suspension have been changed out to whoopies with a structural dynaglide ridgeline. Maybe I still need to play with the lengths of everything. I have read where people add a small pillow or something under their knees to remedy this, but really don't want to if I don't have to.

All in all, I really liked it, and can say that I could be hooked if these issues can be worked out!

Sorry for the long post, and if this is covered elsewhere. Tried searching, but everyone usually discusses cold weather hammocking mostly.

8r1an

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I live in SC and use an UQ when it will be below 75*. A breeze that feels nice and is cooling you off when you hit the hammock, will be a cooler breeze later and will make you cold as the night goes on and you are inactive and your metabolizm slows down. A poncho liner made into a PLUQ will suit you fine, and is pretty inexpensive.

I am 5'10 and I love an 11' hammock. I found the Yukon's too short for me.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've been hammock camping for several years and have never tried doing it without bottom insulation. When I was a pad user, it wasn't practical to add/remove a pad to vent; therefore I vented with my TQ or sleeping bag. Now that I use underquilts, I still only vent using the TQ.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    CBS generally occurs in the 70 degree range, and susceptibility to it varies from individual to individual. Here in the Houston area, sometimes all I need is a gear hammock underneath my sleeping hammock that blocks air movement enough to keep from getting butt cold. I also use what i call a ULUQ, which is a layer of packing foam (the kind they wrap TVs with) sandwiched between two ripstop nylon shells. The concern is with using a non-breathable layer that traps mositure between you and that layer, so I don't use that when daytime temps is going to get over 80.

Right now I'm working on a UQ using a modified Snugpak Jungle Blanket for temps between 45 - 60.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Typical cooling down throughout the night. Try setting up your hammock and UQ (once you get one, 3/4 length should serve you well down in Texas) as you would if you're using it all night. Before you turn in for the night pull the UQ off to the side, downwind side of you still want the breeze to you cool off. When you get cold simply pull the quilt under you and nod back off minus the CBS.

You'll most likely be more comfortable in a longer hammock, but try shortening your RL before you give up on what you have. I'm about your height and have slept comfortably many nights in a grand trunk skeeter beeter, a 9' hammock.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    You'll most likely be more comfortable in a longer hammock, but try shortening your RL before you give up on what you have. I'm about your height and have slept comfortably many nights in a grand trunk skeeter beeter, a 9' hammock.
    Sorry, but the specs say the GT Skeeter Beeter Pro is a 10.5 ft. long hammock. I've heard the length is a major selling point of the Skeeter Beeter Pro, as opposed to most shorter mass-produced made-in-China hammocks go.

Is that just a typo or is there some reason you think it's 1.5 ft. shorter than the specs? Just curious 'cause it caught my eye.

BTW, I'm 5'11", 160 lbs., and I agree with the general premise that a longer hammock will be more comfortable. I found an immediate increase in comfort just going to a longer hammock (and longer ridgeline). Seems like short people don't notice the positive effects of a longer hammock, which makes sense. Well, 'cause they're short!
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 09-04-2014 at 20:30.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    skeeter beater pro with bug net is 10.5 ft long. Got one, wife loves hers and won't change to any other hammock period as she loves the parachute material feel and stretchie ness.

Hammock
    HH Explorer, 2 or 3 others
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Pads + Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    Stock (for now)
    This time of year I slide a ccf (closed cell foam) Walmart pad into a fleece sleeping bag liner and am golden all night. As it cools down I will add a Reflectix layer under the foam pad and can be comfortable to about 40. Too much lower than that I'll probably be in my pop-up camper...

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Sorry, but the specs say the GT Skeeter Beeter Pro is a 10.5 ft. long hammock. I've heard the length is a major selling point of the Skeeter Beeter Pro, as opposed to most shorter mass-produced made-in-China hammocks go.

Is that just a typo or is there some reason you think it's 1.5 ft. shorter than the specs? Just curious 'cause it caught my eye.

BTW, I'm 5'11", 160 lbs., and I agree with the general premise that a longer hammock will be more comfortable. I found an immediate increase in comfort just going to a longer hammock (and longer ridgeline). Seems like short people don't notice the positive effects of a longer hammock, which makes sense. Well, 'cause they're short!
    skeeter beater pro with bug net is 10.5 ft long. Got one, wife loves hers and won't change to any other hammock period as she loves the parachute material feel and stretchie ness.
    Sorry, but I don't have the pro. I have the original skeeter beeter, and my brother has the pro. I can pull my hammock out to measure it, but I know it isn't 10.5'.
    I KNOW it's shorter because I've had both models hanging side by side.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that they discontinued it a few years ago and don't list it anywhere on their site.
    Last edited by goobie; 09-04-2014 at 21:37.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Even hanging in my studio in Las Vegas, I used a thin 1/8'" pad by Lawson.
    I am a hot sleeper, to boot.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast