Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So new I don't even have a hammock yet...

Hello All..

Just wanted to introduce myself. I found myself here several times while I do research from switching from being a ground dweller to a hanger. Learning so much already through this forum but if anyone has any hidden advice they want to share I'm all ears. I think I'm leaning toward the Trek Light Double for now with their bug net, tarp and swing/gear loft.

Jen

Hammock
    LSOH,WARRIOR EDGE
    Tarp
    dd xl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster Down
    Suspension
    various
    I just started hanging this year myself , from being a ground dweller , best move I ever made ,my only advice is ,read ,read, and read some more ,this forum is fantastic place for help, idea,s etc,etc,so enjoy ,and welcome .

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Hi! Welcome! Both of you. Pick up a copy of "The Ultimate Hang".....great quick resource. Watch the Dutch videos on his gear. Find Shug's videos (only when you have a few hours to kill and feel like laughing)
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Welcome! You have already gotten some great advice. Shug's videos, Derek's The Ultimate Hang web site/book, and do both of these before you spend any $ at

Thanks for the advice and the warm welcome. I just order "The Ultimate Hang" today and I'll take your advice and watch some videos on my hour commute (train) home from work!

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    Pad & Wiggy's Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/dutch buc
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Welcome! You have already gotten some great advice. Shug's videos, Derek's The Ultimate Hang web site/book, and do both of these before you spend any $ at
    +1 to this.
    “The path of least resistance leads to crooked rivers and crooked men.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Welcome!

Great advice so far.

I jumped right into it, buying things, making a lot of mistakes, like nylon tree straps because they were cheap. No regrets because I got into hanging real quick and saw right away how nice it was. But yes, do your research first -- the guys here are great for advice -- ask away! They will save you money and frustration.

Slept in the back yard with my newest set-up last night, using a strap and ring buckle suspension. It went great, once I learned to put a half hitch aft of the rings. That keeps the mule tape straps in line with the rings that compress them.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    As you research different tarps, quilts, pads, hammocks and such, I found it helpful to start a spread sheet of items. What it is, weight, vendor web site, cost, stuff like that. VERY helpful when you start looking at the "for sale" forum....that way you have a good idea of what something is, and what it regular costs is. Then when you see one for sale....be ready to JUMP on it.....Some stuff sells in minutes...
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    I always tell people to attend a group hang, even if for the afternoon or in a tent. Nice to meet people, pick their brains and check out their gear.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    UQ Zepplin 20
    Suspension
    Whoppies ENO SS
    I just started a year ago and made some hastey decisions as well. The love for this is te gear and the people and the fiddle-factor. Gotta play with it to see what suits you best.
    Congrats in being bit by the bug.
    If you know someone in your area you may try their setup to touch and feel.
    Just thoughts from a fellow nube!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast