SuperFly
    Insulation
    UKH UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images

Exclamation UQ problems ??

Hi all.

I am new when it comes to the use of underquilt and have a few questions .. ??

When I lie in my WBBB XLC and pulled my UQ up to my shoulder, I wake up often because my shoulder is cold and my UQ has slipped down the "middle" of the hammock,and do not cover my shoulder any more.

Although I span my UQ "hard" up so I thought I still experience "cold but" syndrome.

I have WBB XLC and Winter UQ full-length from UKHammocks.

Thanks in advance Oudoorfreak

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Sounds like your underquilt is set up too tight. You want it tight - enough that it lifts the empty hammock - but not guitar string tight. That should help with the slippage. If not, you can get some Dutch quilt hooks. One goes above the shoulder, another one near the feet. Run the main suspension through there, and your quilt should stay fixed.

With regards to CBS: after using a Hammock Gear underquilt, I would absolutely recommend adding a secondary suspension. Most long(er) and heavier underquilts are prone to the accordion effect. The weight pulls the quilt to the lowest point, creating a gap under your butt. To counteract, you'll need to straighten out the quilt. Most underquilts have loops sewn in at the head and foot end. Get some thin shock cord (thinner than the main shockcord), attach it to the loops and to the hammock ends (where your quilt suspension is attached). Play with the tightness until you get it right. If you can sew, get 4 linelocs and add them to the 4 corners of your quilt. Then your secondary suspension will be easily adjustable.

IMG_20131125_123523_846.jpg

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This video may give some insight. Often it helps to put some bias or off-set on the UQ suspension.
    Hope this helps some.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I'd recommend the triangle thingies suspension for the ends of the hammock, and some dutchware for the middle part of the quilt where you're experiencing CBS.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    kaq jerbridge
    Suspension
    Webbing, Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the Heads up on UQ adjustment. I have had the same problems with mine moving around..
    Jef

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.7 xlc
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    UKH UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Thank you for your response.

Shug ... whoooo buddy .... I've seen all your videos (almost) and have tried what you show to the one you have used in your answer. BUT still slip it down and stuck in the middle of the hammock ??
    Before I even chose hammock and underquilt I saw your videos and chose the setup that suited me from your knowledge. :-):-)

Have also tried those triangle thingies that I bought for safety's sake, but it does not change the problem and so I thought it causes problems when I have to hang my UQ up.

When I lie in my hammock is max 5 millimeters air in between the hammock and my UQ so it is not set too tight up. and it can not be draft as collars at both ends tight.

But thanks for your ideas and help.

Outdoorfreak

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorfreak.dk View Post
    Thank you for your response.

Shug ... whoooo buddy .... I've seen all your videos (almost) and have tried what you show to the one you have used in your answer. BUT still slip it down and stuck in the middle of the hammock ??
    Before I even chose hammock and underquilt I saw your videos and chose the setup that suited me from your knowledge. :-):-)

Have also tried those triangle thingies that I bought for safety's sake, but it does not change the problem and so I thought it causes problems when I have to hang my UQ up.

When I lie in my hammock is max 5 millimeters air in between the hammock and my UQ so it is not set too tight up. and it can not be draft as collars at both ends tight.

But thanks for your ideas and help.

Outdoorfreak
    Maybe your gonna need these........http://dutchwaregear.com/aluminum-quilt-hooks.html

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ New River/PLUQ
    Suspension
    DYI Straps/Woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorfreak.dk View Post
    and it can not be draft as collars at both ends tight.
    I'm no pro on this, but when you say "tight" does that mean you're cinching the ends tight, or that they're tight against the end of the hammock when you're inside?

If you have someone local who is also a hanger, have them (or you) get in the hammock and get situated as you would be for a night, and give everything a good inspection as far as the ends, and do some flopping around in the hammock and see if you can figure out why the UQ is sliding around under you. My guess is that it's a simple fix like the Quilt Hooks Shug mentioned.. Or maybe it's too tight on the ends??

Looking forward to hearing what you find!!
    No man is an island. Except the Isle of Man.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I have a WB Yeti that I put a secondary suspension on to keep it from moving around after I have it adjusted. My experience is that all quilts using shock cord through a channel and without a secondary suspension will slide around, bunch in the middle and create an airgap.
    With the Yeti, I sewed small small grograin tabs on the ends at the reinforced area and tied shock cord pieces on that I then hook to the primary suspension with Prussics. This makes it easy to adjust them while in the hammock and to be able tweak them in the night.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.7 xlc
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    UKH UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Shug ..... it's not such a bad idea, maybe I should try with some clips to see if it works before I order Dutch hooks.
    Many thanks for showing a good way to keep his UQ in place ....:-)
    Whoooo Buddy .....
    There should be tested with another person in the hammock and with various options before going started to sew .... thanks for the help everyone ...:-)

Outdoorfreak.Dk

• + New Posts