Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamystic View Post
    Just imagine what an outright hammock ban would do to camo fabric sales. I'd certainly be converting... ;-)
    Camo zing-it, camo dutchware, camo everything!

Everywhere is getting more crowded as it is. I always feel like I'm way off trail, but still get stumbled upon. The funny look on people's faces when they get within 100' of me lying there having coffee in a hammock is priceless. Go full camo and I can probably knock that down to 25' for a good scare.

Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    I wonder where I can get a medical hammock use card? I'm sure someone is selling them on the internet...

Or maybe there's a way to make it a "emotional support hammock", since now it's popular to have a support goat, ferret, hamster or duck?
    This article is in Spanish, but essentially in Campeche (Yucatan) they do exactly that. A lot of the indigenous population use hammocks as the only bed they've ever known, and they feel very uncomfortable and unstable in beds. So, the hospital added hammocks to the rooms, in particular in the maternity ward.

http://www.excelsior.com.mx/nacional/2017/06/27/1172181
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    I too see obvious signs of the growing popularity of hammocks in the parks...at least in Michigan and Ohio. This thread is pretty timely! I was just out taking a walk at the local metro park with my wife the other day and what did we stumble across? A couple of neon bright ENO's swinging between the trees along the riverbank. They weren't doing anything wrong, they had proper tree straps and suspension, etc. BUT, literally the second thought that popped into my head was " oh Crap! It's only a matter of time before they ban all hammock hanging from trees in the parks". The FIRST thought was...man, that looks like a comfortable spot! I know young 'uns that initially bought ENO's to take tent camping with them so they could lounge, and lo and behold, they morphed into actual hammock campers. I see hammocks in ALL the sporting goods stores, the warehouse stores, print and online advertisements, and for better or worse, yes, there is something of a hammock awakening taking place. I guess I will just have to go a little deeper into the woods!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I’m glad I got my hammock before they get banned....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    I’m glad I got my hammock before they get banned....
    Not to worry. I'm sure they'll just start requiring background checks before you can purchase a hammock- rather than an outright ban. No one is trying to take away your hammocks!

I just hope they don't close the hammock hang loophole.
    Last edited by rweb82; 05-24-2018 at 18:26.

Hammock
    $20 Golden Eagle double
    Tarp
    $20 10'x10'
    Insulation
    $20 CDTUQ
    Suspension
    $5 HF straps
    My suspension is cheap harbor freight 12' straps -- $5ish for a pair. I and the scouts in my son's troop often have lots of extra strap hanging down. I think I need to get myself (& hopefully them) in the habit of "wrap it twice is more nice". A good leave-no-trace lesson.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Wow, this thread is now 3 and a half years old! I'm happy to say hammocks have become much more accepted in state parks, with Florida and New Hampshire going from absolutely no hanging to allowing hanging with 1-inch straps. Great job, and let's continue!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lilricky View Post
    Wow, this thread is now 3 and a half years old! I'm happy to say hammocks have become much more accepted in state parks, with Florida and New Hampshire going from absolutely no hanging to allowing hanging with 1-inch straps. Great job, and let's continue!
    I'm pretty sure that's due to some good folks willing to do the work and inform authorities about doing it properly. Big pat on the back for them! Good to hear about state parks too. Indiana sucks a big one, but there are times I wouldn't mind driving to a nearby park and hang. I'm pretty sure you get arrested for even touching a tree though, so there's work to be done here.

p.s. 3 years old is nothing. I'll occasionally revive an 8 year old thread like that scene from the Abyss!

Banned
    Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I hate to say it Bro, but I think banning is going to happen. I see a lot of tree bark damage and the rangers are aware as well. The problem is, when you hang on a tree, all that weight is cutting the bark and ruining the way the tree gets nutrition. I see banning happening sooner rather than later.

Hammock
    WBBB/HH UL Backpacker
    Suspension
    Ti cinch buckles
    The problem is, when you hang on a tree, all that weight is cutting the bark and ruining the way the tree gets nutrition.
    Only ropes do that, not straps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast