Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    HG 4-Season Cuben
    Insulation
    HG 0°/30° TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

The perfect thru-hike freebird

Hi all. Few (random) questions for you...

I currently have a Thunderbird, but am looking to get a Freebird too. This summer I had issues with not wanting to use my lightest UQ but still getting bit by mosquitoes from underneath. So this had me thinking perhaps I should get a Freebird with the add-on net that covers the bottom. If you still forgo the UQ, does the net just press against the hammock allowing you to get bit from below anyway?

Secondly, I am really torn between the Argon 1.6 (woodland) and the Marpat 1.0. To those that have either, how is the feel? Is the Argon really a lot more dreamy? If the Argon could be wider than 60", that'd be perfect. But my Thunderbird uses the Night Grid and is about 60", and I feel like it's a bit narrow. Maybe that's an illusion or the zipper is throwing me off. I am 5'11'' 155ish. Thus I am leaning toward the Marpat to get to about 68". But... is it very durable, particularly if I want to bring it for an AT thru-hike? Higher risk to rip or drop me? Can mosquitoes bite through two layers of 1.0, if I were to go double layer for pad use/durability?

Any related thoughts that might help me decide would be great. What would your perfect UL setup be? Thanks!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I own a 1.0 Marpat Freebird. For all bugs, Permerthrin soak both net and hammock & suspension. That will solve the problem of needing another layer just for bug protection.

@155# 1.0 or 1.1 should work in most situations, casual hiking/camping situations. However, on a thru I would w/o even blinking go one or two weight classes higher. 1.3 or 1.6. That will give you plenty of options on widths beyond 60". Take to Papa Smurf too. He's been working on some hammock alchemy that allows them to produce Argon products wider than at anytime before.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ Doors
    Insulation
    EE Enigma TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    However, on a thru I would w/o even blinking go one or two weight classes higher. 1.3 or 1.6. That will give you plenty of options on widths beyond 60". Take to Papa Smurf too. He's been working on some hammock alchemy that allows them to produce Argon products wider than at anytime before.
    I too am looking for a good UL setup for a thru hike. I'm curious on your recommendation of the OP going to 1.3 or 1.6 fabrics ?? Is it only for width (e.g. comfort) or is the some other reason you are recommending that ??

Maybe Papa Smurf can post up about his hammock alchemy related to the Argon fabrics

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCut View Post
    Maybe Papa Smurf can post up about his hammock alchemy related to the Argon fabrics
    The Argon 1.6 has a soft, cotton like feel to it and is very strong.
    I've had folks up to 6'4", 240lbs in a single layer of this fabric. He had just a little stretch, but it was plenty supportive for him. Dutch rates this fabric for up to 275lbs. For safety, comfort & durability, I'd probably recommend it for folks up to 250ish.

The Argon 1.6 is 60" wide and we loose between 1-1.5" when attaching the zippers. There are a couple ways we're looking at to build wider hammocks from this stuff. One way is to offset the layers of a double layer hammock. This provides 2 layers through the center portion of the hammock where the most support is needed and 1 layer at each edge. Using double layers, of course increase the weight of the hammock and would be best for the bigger folks.

The other method we're looking at is stitching "wings" on each end of the hammock to widen it. We've got a couple hammock builds coming up in a couple weeks that will use this approach. I also hope to build an 11ft x 72" FreeBird to take with us down to the SC Fall Sprawl for folks to test out.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ Doors
    Insulation
    EE Enigma TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the info. A SL Argon 1.6 is definitely on my radar. I've read many great things about hammocks made with it.

Hammock
    Thunderbird 11ft
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Im using the Argon 1.6 from dutch. I totally dig the fabric it has little give but is fully supportive, Ive got a DL 11ft DIY a friend made for me since my thread injector was down. I really like the breathability and support it provides.
    Puppy love melts even a cold heart

• + New Posts