Tarp
    All WB tarps
    Insulation
    Down quilts
    Suspension
    WB webbing/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin_bound View Post

How well do you find it works?
    Used it this summer for the first time, and I am very pleased with it. I done with DEET.

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    Just finished spraying my Ridge runner hammock with Sawyer Picartin (however it's spelled). Hmm, coated nylon does _not_ absorb. Now who'd a thunk it. Oh well I wanted it on the bug net. Yes I did ... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Is rubbing catnip on yourself and hiking in cougar country the same as rubbing salmon on yourself and hiking in bear country? Can you really tell the difference between grizzly bear scat and black bear scat because grizzly bear scat contains those little silver bells?
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 10-10-2014 at 15:59.

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    Just saw some black bear spoon and there wasn't a bell to be scene. Course I ain't big on up close and personal with any bear type thing☺

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Is rubbing catnip on yourself and hiking in cougar country the same as rubbing salmon on yourself and hiking in bear country? Can you really tell the difference between grizzly bear scat and black bear scat because grizzly bear scat contains those little silver bells?
    Yup. And those bells smell lIke pepper spray
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeVee View Post
    Just finished spraying my Ridge runner hammock with Sawyer Picartin (however it's spelled). Hmm, coated nylon does _not_ absorb. Now who'd a thunk it. Oh well I wanted it on the bug net. Yes I did ... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    So you sprayed it with Picaridin rather than Permethrin? Though neither should hurt your hammock, the Picaridin might not last through a long night. The Permethrin should last for weeks. IOW, the Picaridin might get expensive for more than 1 night.

I am now 3 or 4 years hiking mostly in our jungle like and or swampy MS woods without an insect bite, Truth is I rarely see an insect, it's almost like no insects live in MS! This is all since I started spraying my hiking clothes/hat and packs with 0.5% Permethrin plus usually spraying exposed skin with 20% Picaridin. Prior to that, it was not uncommon for me to find ticks on myself or my packs if I used nothing. Plus, even when using DEET I was swarmed a lot more by either mossies or gnats, something always buzzing right in my ears, even when covered with DEET, though they probably would not bite. I hope what I use now proves to be long term safe because it is wonderful. And anyway, nothing safe about insect bites.

If I am sleeping in the above combo, I don't always treat my hammocks, and especially if I will be using UQs or double layered hammocks. But I now have at least 2 trips behind me using no bug net in major bug country. One was in the Sipsey Wilderness in AL, the other camping by the lakes in the Sawtooth range of ID in early Sept. My hammock and clothing were treated, plus I would spray another dose of Picaridin on my skin right before bedtime. I got away with it both times, no bites and unaware of any insects at night except for some big bugs in ID that would dive bomb my head lamp. But paranoia had me wishing for a net anyway.

I will report this negative: while in ID I was wearing a very thin white Merino wool Long John top that I had sprayed with Permethrin about a week before, as I had all my other clothing and hammock. One late afternoon/dusk while cooking supper, my friend told me that my back had a good number of mossies on it. I looked and there were also some on my front and sleeves. As we watched, they did not seem to be biting, and each one would fly off after a few seconds. Still, I was surprised they would even lite on this treated shirt, and with it so thin and porous it made me nervous. They were not landing on my pants or other clothing, just that shirt this one time. So I sprayed on some Picaridin- on the shirt- and they went away. I slept that night in the same clothing, no bug net, and did fine. BTW, there were 3 of us on that trip, I think 2 of us had no net, and no bites. All were using the Perm/Pic combo.

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    Permethrin the evil spelling fairy struck again.

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Montexan View Post
    To be fair picaridin is new, especially compared to DEET, in the States. It was almost useless at the lower % it used to be, then the FDA got around to catching up with Europe and OZ by allowing the current the 20% max.
    EPA's Doc
    And more information than a normal person would ever need

I've almost completely moved over to Picaridin. No more double bagging my DEET by itself in an outside pocket for fear of sliming my food and gear. For the dogs I use Pop's Organics since skeeters spread heartworm and Revolution doesn't do anything for skeeters, only the heartworm. You could make it yourself, but essential oils are ridiculously expensive.

I have a couple polycarbonate Nalgene bottles completely foggy from a single trip 2 years ago at a lake. The skeeters were real bad and 100% was required.
    While storing some back of car camping gear - I put a full can of Deep Woods Off in a liquid measure cup of poly carbonate about five years ago - Dad bought a full camper and I forgot about it - well the camper is gone and I went thru the gear yesterday to get back into car camping and backpacking and discovered a puddle of poly carbonate as the can had rusted and the DWO leaked out.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I once put a scrap of rs nylon in a shot glass, sprayed it full of deet, and left it for an hour or so. If there was any damage to the fabric, I couldn't detect it.

I don't like deet, but I like skeeters, ticks, and the diseases they carry much, much less.

it degrades the nylon over time - you get holes in it.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Deet will harm most fabrics

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast