Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Do You Stealth or the like? For the Undecided

Now this is not to try and convert a dedicated ground dweller. For one thing, if forced to, I will go back to ground when ever needed. But this is for any body who camps away from designated campsites, and has to find camp sites in the middle of the woods. And for that same person who currently Ultra lights it EDIT: on the ground with maybe a tarp,pad and ground cloth. Or heck, even a tent. (EDIT: Oh, and who also has been considering trying hammocks but is not sure of what the possible advantages might be).

I day hiked today to do a little more stove testing in the wet woods(it has rained all week until today), which went fine. But this would naturally call for taking a break. You can't quite tell very well in these pics, but I am on a pretty good slope. A ridge sloping to the right of these pics and to the valley in the background. There is very little ground any where that is not sloping. I am over a log and thick weeds and very damp ground. I probably could have hung a half dozen other hammocks with in 20 yards of me in this same inhospitable area. Just happened to be a fair number of usable trees.

I am quite comfortable, and the ants ( and whatever else) are a couple of feet down below me. Where they belong.

Yes, I probably could have found a place( with MUCH searching) without a root or log or reasonably dry and maybe even all of that plus on even ground. I probably could not have found a place without a lot of brush. And in the end, I would have to be laying down there on the ground in water moccasin/copperhead country, with all of the ants and such.

But it could be done. I suppose. If you wanted to or needed to.

Then again, I'm just sayin...... To each his own, AKA HYOH!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-03-2009 at 17:50.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    I prefer to stay away from camping at designated shelter/campsites. I usually hike solo and I not only feel safer away from them, but I also like to just stop where I feel like stopping for the day, rather than feeling like I have to get to a certain place.

It's great to have more choices with my hammock!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I find myself on a lot of moderate sloping hills. Only problem is dropping a stuff sack or water bottle. They tend to roll quite a ways and at surprising speed!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Wraith UL, XLC ,Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ & Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow,TeWa,GoLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Now this is not to try and convert a dedicated ground dweller. For one thing, if forced to, I will go back to ground when ever needed. But this is for any body who camps away from designated campsites, and has to find camp sites in the middle of the woods. And for that same person who currently Ultra lights it with maybe a tarp,pad and ground cloth. Or heck, even a tent.

I day hiked today to do a little more stove testing in the wet woods(it has rained all week until today), which went fine. But this would naturally call for taking a break. You can't quite tell very well in these pics, but I am on a pretty good slope. A ridge sloping to the right of these pics and to the valley in the background. There is very little ground any where that is not sloping. I am over a log and thick weeds and very damp ground. I probably could have hung a half dozen other hammocks with in 20 yards of me in this same inhospitable area. Just happened to be a fair number of usable trees.

I am quite comfortable, and the ants ( and whatever else) are a couple of feet down below me. Where they belong.

Yes, I probably could have found a place( with MUCH searching) without a root or log or reasonably dry and maybe even all of that plus on even ground. I probably could not have found a place without a lot of brush. And in the end, I would have to be laying down there on the ground in water moccasin/copperhead country, with all of the ants and such.

But it could be done. I suppose. If you wanted to or needed to.

Then again, I'm just sayin...... To each his own, AKA HYOH!
    What a way to spend the day.

Hammock
    various homemade Speer type
    Tarp
    10' X 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    CCfoam, Down quilt
    Suspension
    various
    Images
    BB58,
    What are the hammock end caps (black) made of?
    They almost look like shrink wrap.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    I prefer to stay away from camping at designated shelter/campsites. I usually hike solo and I not only feel safer away from them, but I also like to just stop where I feel like stopping for the day, rather than feeling like I have to get to a certain place.

It's great to have more choices with my hammock!
    Exactly how I feel! Hammocking allows a certain freedom I really enjoy.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    HH Stock
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle/Strap
    I always prefer to stay off the beaten path. That is half the fun of going out into the woods and a good hammock is the perfect enabler for those of us who like to escape from the crowds.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh-No View Post
    BB58,
    What are the hammock end caps (black) made of?
    They almost look like shrink wrap.
    Just whatever kind of nylon that is standard issue Hennessy Hammock: this is an Uber comfy HH Safari model, sans net.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    Exactly how I feel! Hammocking allows a certain freedom I really enjoy.
    Freedom---- exactly! Most folks, if they are going to camp in this area with reasonable comfort and safety, then they are going to be in a developed ( even if "primitive") campground. With all the other folks. They are not going to be laying on THIS ground, unless they are in a fully closed up tent. Even then, if you are not at a campground where the ground is at least level and cleared of brush, it is going to be challenging to find a spot. Not impossible, but a real challenge. And it is not necessarily where you would like to be or had planned to be.

I really like this spot. I call it "crooked tree" way point on my GPS. I think I could stay a week here and not see another soul. Though on some days, especially weekends, I can hear the dirt bikers and ATVs not far away. Hikers are scarce in this park, almost non-existent. Over the years I have only seen other hikers once or twice. But most week days it is just silence and solitude, and lot's of shade in this spot, and most others in this area. But when it is time to get off your feet, it doesn't have much to offer. I like the freedom of being able to comfortably use a spot like this. There is a lot of lonely acreage here that is really only reasonably accessible (IMO anyway) with a hammock.

Hammock
    HH ULBP; WBBB
    Tarp
    HH stock
    Insulation
    HH UC
    Low impact, low visibility. Solo or with companions I want to enjoy my surroundings and feel as though I'm a world away. The hammock gives so many more off-trail options, but can still hang near a campground that's where friends need to pitch.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast