Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images

DIY Argon 1.6 Hammock

Have not done any DIY projects for last 6 months due to medical issues with a pinched nerve in the neck causing extreme arm pain and a house guest staying in my DIY room (actually one of the kids bedrooms I took over when he moved out ). House guest left and either the new dosage of pain meds and or Physical Therapy did the job and the pain is mostly gone.

Went with Black and Forest Green Argon 1.6 fabric from Dutch (http://dutchwaregear.com/argon-1.6.html ) as I have heard so much about it. As usual Dutch had it shipped out fast. Had to be a double layer as I weigh in right at the max recommend load rating for a single layer. This is no big deal as most of my DIY hammocks are doubles. Ultra Light I am not in the hammock area. I build industrial strength

The fabric does feel slightly slick and did feel like it was a little bit slippery when sewing, Could also have been my imagination.

Had my son help me fold the two fabrics together and pin them to length and then cut to length.

I then proceeded to sew the two layers together with a 1” overlap of the black over the green on the sides and 3” end channels with three rows of stitching to make sure end channels do not fail (which has worked so far on all my DIY hammocks ). I do not leave an opening for a pad as I use UQ's. I may go back and add some UQ hooks later.

I added four 1” wide grosgrain tie outs placed 4 ft in from the ends of the hammock, two per side. May not need them but figured it would be better to do it now so I could incorporate them into the seam.. Wanted to use 3/4” wide grosgrain but did not have any left and did not want to wait to get any.

I took about 3 days of sewing an hour or two each day taking my time as I was in no rush and wanted to think about each step as it had been awhile since I had made a DIY hammock. Also made a double ended stuff sack with the left over black argon fabric. Decided that the hammock also needed a storage pocket so I made a 12” long by 6” deep pocket and added it to the black side of the hammock. If I had thought about it sooner I could have sewn it in with the seam but it still looks decent. Also added a “Neusiok Trail Gear” logo tag that I now add to ID all of my DIY sewing projects.

Finished the hammock a week ago but it was not until last night I found where wife had packed my spool of Amsteel 7/64 ( got thru Redden Marine http://www.reddenmarine.com/samson-r...ue-spools.html during one of their sales ) when the house guest showed up.

I cut two 4 ft lengths and used a double fisherman's knot as shown here http://www.animatedknots.com/doublef...Categ=climbing to make two loops. Then I threaded a loop thru the sewn end ( be sure to hold on to one end so it does not get pulled thru ) and then larks head the knotted end thru the other end of the loop. I them create a semi loose mushroom head with the fabric and wrap the Amsteel around the inside edge of the mushroom a couple of times and then stick my finger thru the end of the mushroom to create an opening just big enough to grab the Amsteel loop and pull it thru and tighten everything up. I then larks headed some cinch buckles onto the Amsteel and finished it off with some 1” wide Camo Straps and used a pair of 1,500 lb rated binners from Lazer Designs shttp://www.lazerdesigns.com/Merchant...uct_Code=CLOAD.

This total rig weights in at 1 lb 14.2 ounces. Like I said, not ultra light but industrial strength.

Was ready to go outside this am and try it out but of course it decided to start raining. Wife got home from work and the rain stopped so we went out to set up the hammock and take some pictures.

Initial results....it holds me just fine. I think for me I need it to be a few inches wider. Out initial test got cut short as the skeeters decided that it was meal time and chased us off. Will try again later when it is safe to go back out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gunner76; 09-08-2014 at 22:37.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    More Pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Looks good. I so want to make a gathered end out of some of the argon I have, but I just can't get as comfortable in a gathered end.

If you don't mind answering, what do you weigh?

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    If you don't mind answering, what do you weigh?
    Since my weight is not classified I am 6ft 2 and currently 270-275 lbs.

Trying to loose another 25 lbs as I want to get a RR. Wife gets nervous when I get around hers.
    Last edited by gunner76; 09-08-2014 at 18:54.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nice. Good looking hammock and nice tag. I started tagging all my diy projects as well.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    SLD TR, BIAS HL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ, AHE
    Suspension
    DW Whoopies/Straps
    Very nice job sir.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Since my weight is not classified I am 6ft 2 and currently 270-275 lbs.

Trying to loose another 25 lbs as I want to get a RR. Wife gets nervous when I get around hers.
    I am roughly the same dimensions, 6'4 and hover between 250 and 275. I think youd be surprised what a single layer would feel like. I know first hand a single layer in a bridge supports me.

And a double layer RR will support you fine. You might find it a bit narrow in the middle, but the fabric will support you.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I don't need to have a hammock fail on me and let me hit the ground due to issues with my neck. My physical therapist doesn't want to ride my Mt Bike anymore and I am just riding flat and level trails ( well a little bit of ups and downs but nothing wild like I use to ) and it would not hurt to loose some more weight.

This is where I use to ride a lot back in the 80's
    After watching the current videos they have done a lot of work on the trails and added a few. There were a few down hill sections where you had to have your rear end back over the rear tire to keep from going over the handle bars. I would also go run the trails and take my troops running back on these trails.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I understand.

I raced Cross Country back in my hayday. With some trials riding thrown in during the down time. I certainly miss it, my knees dont, though.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    DIY straps / Fancy
    Looks real nice. Great write up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast