DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle

Trying to sort out Dyneema options

Can someone help me sort through the various Dyneema options? I've researched Zing-It, Lash-It, Dynaglide and Z-Line Slick Dyneema and have a few questions.

Zing-It & Lash-It (by Samson Rope) are single braid Dyneema, available in 1.75mm and 2.2mm. As far as I can tell, the only difference between the two lines is Zing-It is yellow and Lash-It is light gray. Is that correct? "Avg. breaking strength" of 1.75mm=500lb, 2.2mm=650lb

Dynaglide (by New England Rope) is also a single braid Dyneema, sometimes listed as either 1.8mm or 2mm, but I think it's the same size, just rounded by some vendors. 1000lb tensile strength-Is this the same as "average breaking strength", meaning it's twice as strong as 1.75mm Zing-It/Lash-It? Doesn't sound quite right. Colors-orange and yellow/green.

Z-Line Slick Dyneema (unknown manufacturer, vendor=Z-Packs) is also a single braid Dyneema, available in 1.4mm (330lb), 1.75mm (450lb), and 2.2mm (650lb). All 3 sizes are available in orange and dark gray. Can I assume that this stuff is the same as Zing-It and Lash-It (all three coming in 1.75mm and 2.2mm sizes), with Z-Line Slick Dyneema also available in a 3rd and smaller size (1.4mm)?
    Last edited by Spaceman; 09-08-2014 at 21:19.

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    JRB or KAQ
    Suspension
    vectran whoopies
    Average Breaking strength is just a way to compare the various rope types (nylon, polypro,etc) against a standard rope type (which is the age-old manila type). The prevailing wisdom is to only use working loads of 20% of breaking strength.

Tensile strength is the actual, measured strength of the rope. Again, derating by about 25% of Tensile strength is prudent for lines that will be used (loaded) many times.

The lines you mentioned are all of the (relatively) same material and will all be good choices for tarp lines.
    "Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage." -William Shakespeare

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The information looks basically right. I use Zing-It 1.75 mm for my guylines, ridgelines and even bear bagging. The Z-Packs website says the Z-Line Slick Dyneema is great for bear bagging, which leads me to believe it might not be all that great for guylines and ridgelines, and I don't know how spliceable it is.

Dynaglide is kinda overkill for guylines, but a lot of people use it for hammock ridgelines and even whoopie slings. I'm not that much of a gram weenie, so I use 7/64" Amsteel for my my whoopies because it's 1600 lb. breaking strength and I prefer the higher safety margin.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    My Jeep
    Insulation
    Carhartt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    When you get to the purchase stage, check out Dutch's site. He's got a crazy price on 180' for what you'd normally find 25'. He would also probably be a good source of info.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Yes, zing it and lash it are color variations of the same product.

Average breaking strength is the manufacturers tested (in accordance with the appropriate standards) ABS. It has nothing to do with comparisons to a "standard" rope type.

From the NE Rope Dynaglide product sheet...

"Tensile strengths reported are approximate averages for new, unused ropes. To estimate the minimum tensile strength of a new rope, reduce the approximate average by 10%. (The Cordage Institute defines minimum tensile strength as two standard deviations below the average tensile strength of the rope.)"

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
    ...Z-Line Slick Dyneema ...Can I assume that this stuff is the same as Zing-It and Lash-It...
    You could assume that, but you would be wrong. Differences in manufacturers, braid/braid tightness, type of Dyneema, coatings, etc can all make for a different cord.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    There is also a Red colored Zing It out there that is harder to find but Dutch said he is going to start stocking it.

If you go by you local DIY store and see braided mason line, it looks similar and feels similar to Zing It but is not. Slightly smaller than the 1.75 Zing It and has much lower breaking strength. Suitable for tarp or hammock tie out lines but I would not trust it for a tarp ridge line.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I definitely need some Red Zing-It to go with my red tarp, red hammock, and red TQ/UQ. I'll be stylin'!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Roaming Gnome 11"
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie, UCR
    I've used red zing it on one of my tarps for a year now, maybe good to know that it turns pink very fast

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    JRB or KAQ
    Suspension
    vectran whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post

Average breaking strength is the manufacturers tested (in accordance with the appropriate standards) ABS. It has nothing to do with comparisons to a "standard" rope type.

gmcttr is correct. My apologies for the confusion (the perils of answering from memory and not fact checking...)
    "Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage." -William Shakespeare

Trying to sort out Dyneema options

So suggestions for geting lengths?

I could get 1000 feet, but really suggestions for say
    Ridgeline
    6 timeouts

I would be interested knowing this as well as suggestions.

I liked the suggestion of the 7/64 since I car camp.
    I am not a gram weenie.
    And like the durability and larger safety margin.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast