Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension

Ridge Runner review of full time use

Been waiting a bit to make this post. I have been using the DL Ridge Runner now for about a year and half as a full time bed. I am 6.1ft and 220lbs. (I'm working on the 220 part )

At first I had a hard time getting used to it, and it took me about 3 days to finally settle in and have it be comfortable for me. But since that time it has been great. I find myself being able to sleep on my back and quasi-side throughout the night no problems. All of the stitching, seams, buckles, amsteal lines, etc. have held up no problems with no signs of wear.

I deliberately bought this hammock to be a full time bed for me. But I have used it occasionally on a car camping trip as apposed to my normal hammock I bring.

Would I ever use it as a backpacking hammock??? No I would not, solely based upon weight (see signature below.) Also I noticed that non of my tarps fit over it very well, and therefore I would have to purchase Brandon's specifically made tarp for it. Also the only UQ that works well with it (that I own) is my 3/4 UGQ 40f. My full length quilts are not designed in a way to fit the bridge, so again it would be purchase the proper fitting quilts from either Brandon at WB or Paul at UGQ.

That's not to say it doesn't make a great backpacking hammock, it just doesn't fit my backpacking style. It still is a very comfortable hammock.

I have tested, and slept in several bridge hammocks, and waited with anticipation for Brandon to get this model in production. And it has not disappointed at all. I am a broad shouldered fellow, and the others seem to always squeeze me, and I have limited mobility with them. Not the case with the Ridge Runner, I have full mobility and do not feel "squished" at all.

So if you are looking to try a bridge hammock, save yourself the trouble of buying multiple ones only to be disappointed, and just by the Ridge Runner, you'll be glad you did.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    You may want to consider getting a gathered end hammock. They're a lot lighter, and with the right set up, their weight is comparable to UL tarp tent set ups.

http://watermonkey.net/2011/09/08/th...ammock-set-up/ weighs in at 3.3 lbs for a full setup.

You can probably get lighter than that with some SGT Rock, or other, modifications. (ex: Use tulle instead of noseeum, an asym tarp...)

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    I've had mine for less than a week, and I absolutely love it. The RR is awesome.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    You may want to consider getting a gathered end hammock. They're a lot lighter, and with the right set up, their weight is comparable to UL tarp tent set ups.

http://watermonkey.net/2011/09/08/th...ammock-set-up/ weighs in at 3.3 lbs for a full setup.

You can probably get lighter than that with some SGT Rock, or other, modifications. (ex: Use tulle instead of noseeum, an asym tarp...)
    Oh I know...I have a UL system already. I was merely giving a review of the Ridge Runner, and how I use it, and what I use it for. Not trying to make it part of my UL kit at all. Hope that clears up any mixed messages.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Just because of the comfort factor, I'll probably take it on the next section hike.... probably use it primarily for car camping, or backyard hangs.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    NeoAir Xlite
    Suspension
    Straps
    Have you tried it with a pad? If so, how was it.

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    Mugs question

curious if you ever had back issues on beds or ground ? just waking up and taking a bit to kinda feel stretched out

I know in hammocks now I dont get that sore morning and I feel stretched out from the get go

so kinda curious if you think the bridge gives that same feel of no back pain ? or is it just more like a super nice bed from home feeling ?

I am seriously thinking of trying hanging in the house even though the wife is again thinking I am nuts

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by ckmaui View Post
    Mugs question

curious if you ever had back issues on beds or ground ? just waking up and taking a bit to kinda feel stretched out

I know in hammocks now I dont get that sore morning and I feel stretched out from the get go

so kinda curious if you think the bridge gives that same feel of no back pain ? or is it just more like a super nice bed from home feeling ?

I am seriously thinking of trying hanging in the house even though the wife is again thinking I am nuts
    Our wives will think we are nuts no matter what it is we do

Yes I almost gave up backpacking just because I could no longer sleep on the ground. That is when I discovered hammocking, and have not looked back since.

As far as at home daily back pain. Yes I used to have that everyday. As an automotive technician my back was always in pain. Admittedly that did change when my wife and I bought a real good quality bed, and I sleep fine in it now for the most part, but still do get some back pain on occasion.

But in the end, I still sleep better in my hammock and yes I wake up with the already stretched and ready to go feeling. And since I have gone to permanently sleeping in the hammock my back has not hurt at all

Not only that, I used to have insomnia really bad, and be a very light sleeper. I feel like I sleep way more soundly now. And I go sleep right away, and stay asleep. And wake up super refreshed every morning. So it actually has help me get better sleep for a longer time. I can now sleep 8 hours a night no problem, VS I used to only be able to sleep 3-5 hours a night

Hope this helps clear up some things for you. If your wife thinks your truly nuts, just have her spend a day with me, and she will come home thinking your normal

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by mugs View Post
    snip.... If your wife thinks your truly nuts, just have her spend a day with me, and she will come home thinking your normal
    or she will realize there are other folks like me and I am not alone ahhahahahaha

• + New Posts