Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Noobien saying hello and having some rain questions

Hello everyone, I have been checking out this forum for a while and I must say that this is a great site. I bought a black bird a few months ago and I have been sleeping in it on my property from time to time. Haven't had a chance to go into the backcountry for months because I have been buying my first home. (God I need to get out there!) So anyways here are my questions about rain: Do you need a waterproof membrane under a down underquilt for splashing? and Does the rain drip down the webbing straps and then run onto the hammock?I have a Superfly tarp so I could pitch it low to the ground with the end doors closed to keep wind driven rain at a minimum.I saw on speer hammocks site that he sells some rain drip things that clip onto the webbing but would bananas work just the same?Or do you not need anything and does the rain just hit the knot by the triangle buckles and drip down. Thanks in advance. Higher Ground

Images
    the rings/backup knot should cause it to drip.

a big tarp will be enough to keep water from splashing up onto the quilt.

just be sure to vent the doors some if it's not too windy, you only need them fully closed in a windstorm, if it's not that windy and you fully close them you'll probably get condensation.

Stockton, New Jersey (along the Delaware River)
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG-4SCCCFT/WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/JRB MWUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, DW baby
    Had my BB out this past weekend, which resulted in a pretty severe thunderstorm with some decent wind gusts, torrential rain and small hail. No problems, no worries. Had my MacCat Deluxe re-staked low when I relaiezed the storm was coming and I stayed snug, comfy and dry! No splash with the tarp staked low, with the majority of the tarp coverage towards the wind.

WG is right, the rings and the webbing backup hitch keep the rain from ending up in the hammock.

As much rain as we got during that storm, I'd be concerned of water coming in if I was in my Sierra Designs tent. In my BB/tarp setup..........no worries.
    Last edited by SoundWitness; 08-04-2009 at 00:35. Reason: I'm a bad speller!
    "Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere."- RONALD REAGAN

"There is new life in the soil for every man. There is healing in the trees for tired minds and for our overburdened spirits, there is strength in the hills, if only we will lift up our eyes. Remember that nature is your great restorer." - CALVIN COOLIDGE

My Backpacking Site

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by J hanger View Post
    I saw on speer hammocks site that he sells some rain drip things that clip onto the webbing but would bananas work just the same?
    Save the bananas for breakfast. Sorry, couldn't resist.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I love bananas
    Welcome to the greatest forum in the world. Your tarp is plenty big to protect you from the elements. If you did switch to a smaller tarp you might have some worries. Sounds to me like you've already made some very wise decisions, BB and superfly are the bombproof stuff that makes sleeping all night easy. Rain does run down, but once it hits the loop or buckle it will fall off. good luck with your new home
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird, eno doublenest
    Tarp
    oes,warbonnet
    Insulation
    yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie sling AHE
    shug loves onions, you love bananas, we need to get a thread started on what food we love!!!! jk, good luck on the new home, it can be a headache, but worth it. i find the pitter patter of the rain quite memorizing into a deep comfy sleep, and like you will find no worries with a bb and a superfly!!!
    i do not remember the question, however i believe beer is the answer

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayaknut01 View Post
    shug loves onions, you love bananas, we need to get a thread started on what food we love!!!!
    Put me down for funnel cake; I've got witnesses!

I've been in some crazy nasty storms and I've never had my underquilts get wet to any real degree from below. The shell is, at a minimum, DWR coated and that does a great job of keeping the casual water off the quilt. You don't even have to take the tarp all the way to the ground because you're still not giving much vertical distance for the rain to fall from your tarp; at least, not enough to make a big splash. If feeling really paranoid, you can always hang your hammock a little higher off the ground and increase the distance from splash even more. I use a much (much!) smaller tarp during the spring and summer when the big storms come through here and still haven't had any problems. With a SuperFly, it never even enters my thoughts.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    I only had splash problems when I hang close to the ground with a small tarp. I don't think the rain will splash 2 feet up. I try to hang higher in the rain now anyways. Helps with the splash and with water running on the ground. Plus it's cool.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The other thing that makes somewhat of a difference is the surface you are hanging over. Soft, absorbent moss gorund is going to splash differently than an exposed shale shelf. But in any event unless you are open end exposed to the rain you should be reasonably safe with a superfly. If you can't get sideways to the rain for one reason or another, close the windward end pointy wise and you'll be good to go
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images

Thanks everone -bananas for all-

Good advice. I meant to say bandannas but my spell check tricked me. I could just see myself hanging bananas like the chikita lady off of my webbing. Nice to meet you all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast