Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I just recently spent hours (and hours) debating with myself on whether to get the 20* or the 40* burrow to go with my 20* UQ. I felt that the 20* would be overkill for the majority of my outings but occasionally I would have to carry extra gear if I went with the 40*.
    Suddenly our nighttime low temps went from the low 70's into the upper 30's. My mind was made up. I didn't want to have to supplement my new top quilt the very first time I tried it.
    i ordered a 20* Burrow with 1 oz overfill (just to minimize down shifting) 2 days ago. C'mon fall weather...
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Images
    Everyone always talks about being a cold sleeper. Heck I'm a cold camper, haha
    If I know the evening temp will be below 40F I always pack these (see pict) minus the helmet and arm/leg pads.

I also use an UQP on a hammock with a zip over cover. So a lighter TQ is a no brainer for me.
    And don't forget the old hot water bottle trick.

Hammock
    hk 11' hyperD - The Silver Bullet
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Everyone always talks about being a cold sleeper. Heck I'm a cold camper, haha
    If I know the evening temp will be below 40F I always pack these (see pict) minus the helmet and arm/leg pads.

I also use an UQP on a hammock with a zip over cover. So a lighter TQ is a no brainer for me.
    And don't forget the old hot water bottle trick.
    I never leave the trailhead without my helmet..???

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    OP - Do you vent your mattress when hot while in your bed or do you kick your covers off a bit? TQ is much easier to vent as stated several times above. I am with the thoughts that you will freeze trying to make a 40° TQ work below 30° or so. My coldest is 6° but most of my winter temps are between 25-35° (night). I have used a 20° SB or TQ since day one.

Alright, based on the majority of responses and keeping an eye on recent temps in the mountains, I've opted for the 20/20 combo. I'll let you all know how she does. Thanks for the input!

Here's a bonus collage of black bear tracks on Sauk Mountain

Bear Track Collage.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by r00st3r View Post
    Alright, based on the majority of responses and keeping an eye on recent temps in the mountains, I've opted for the 20/20 combo.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    No put-down meant, just curious, I have recently noticed several of our newer Southern Hangers posting suggestions on cool weather hanging. I always wonder how cool it gets in Florida or some of the gulf states. Although my friends from Huston talk about the fireplace they have in their house, or their wool coat with a fur collar, in their next breath, they are telling me how they never use the item. I do realize some of us move around a lot, I have Hung in several states, each place is different and what the locals call cold varies greatly.

Hammock
    WBBB's
    Tarp
    UGQ, WB, OES
    Insulation
    UGQ UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    I think you're on the right track. A 20* UQ is a no-brainer for that range. That's the more critical component to keeping warm, vs. a TQ. A 20* UQ has a really wide comfort range, since it can easily be hung a little loose to allow some venting to be comfortable in warm weather. The TQ has a slightly narrower comfort range, IMO, and is the only thing in question. In warmer weather, you can loosen the neck drawcord or unsnap the closure entirely and use the TQ pulled up to your armpits like a blanket. You can even kick your feet out of the footbox, but when it's warm enough that you start kicking the thing off and draping it over one part of your body or the other, you tend to wake up with a chill, yank the TQ back over you, get hot and kick it off...repeat. It's not a huge deal, but it affects a good night's sleep. With a 20* TQ, I start running into this somewhere in the mid-50s and above.

A 40* TQ is definitely more comfortable in the mid-50s and up. If a 20* night will be a rare thing for you, a 40* TQ would work if you bring plenty of extra insulation to wear. If you get caught in a cold snap with a 40* TQ, though, you'll be in for a cold night, but probably not terribly so with 20* UQ, which again is the key piece of insulation. So it boils down to your expected temps and how prepared you want to be for those cold snaps. A 20* TQ really is more versatile since it will get you down to colder temps, but it's bulkier and more than you need for 60* nights. If you can't decide, you could split the difference and get a 40* TQ loaded with overstuff or get a 30* model. Food for thought.

Having spent a few evenings outside lately, I think the 20* TQ is the best option (brr!). When next summer rolls around and sub 40* nights are no longer likely I may opt to purchase a 40* if a fleece or woobie won't cut it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12