HH Expedition Asym Classic
    Tarp
    DIY HexCat
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbidge
    Suspension
    DIY Rapid Deploy

Winterpeg checking in!

Hi... long time listener, first time caller...

I've been a lurker here ever since I purchased my BE Hennessy Expedition Asym Classic at MEC a couple of years ago. At the time, I really just wanted a good quality, light solo shelter for backpacking and canoe trips. Little did I realize that that decision would change the way I camp forever! I was a little dismayed at first, as the first couple of times I tried setting it up didn't come anywhere NEAR the 5 minute or less setup time as advertised. also discovered the hard way about cold back syndrome. However, once I got the hang of it (heh) it was a revelation. I quickly invested in a set of snakeskins, made some custom tree huggers and got some descending rings and carabeeners for a rapid no knot system. Never in my entire camping experience had I ever had such revitalizing rests... the sleep quality that came from sleeping on a pad in a tent was the thing I used to look forward to the least about camping. Now I wake up energized ready for whatever that day has in store from me. I also kind of relish always being the guy who is the first to be set up or torn down in camp. I like to rub it in as I'm helping everyone else take down their kit!

Looking forward to participating here... I've already got some gear purchases in progress!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome VOT
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    DIY tree straps
    Hello and Welcome!

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt

Fellow Winnipeger

Welcome VOT.
    Im a Winnipeg Hanger as well. I first borrowed a HH from a co worker 2 years ago for a lightweight option on my first backpacking trip to the Mantario Trail. Changed my Camping life.

I was sold from the first night and had to get my own.

Now the all my camping revolves around a Hammock. Even when we do the provincal parks and tow the Camper, me and my 7 year old sleep out in the hammocks rather then in the trailer with my wife and younger boy.

Gonna do the Mantario on Sept 20th for an overnight. Gotta test out my new HG 20* phoenix and DIY TQ. I'm loving it.

Cheers

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Welcome aboard from Toronto.

I can totally relate to seeing the light when it comes to "sleeping" on a pad in a tent or getting a awesome night's sleep in a hammock. Changed my outdoors exerience forever!
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Welcome from SW Ontario!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Classic
    Tarp
    DIY HexCat
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbidge
    Suspension
    DIY Rapid Deploy
    Scottie, I did the North half of the Mantario solo this past July, despite all the warnings I've always heard to not go in the summer. It wasn't the 5km of pure mud slogging right at the start that got me, it wasn't the humidity or the heat. It wasn't even the Manitoba bloodhawks (aka mosquitoes). it was the TICKS! I couldn't believe how many their were. Even though I had a good bug jacket, boots and elastic cuffed pants, somehow I still managed to have to pull out about 3 DOZEN over the course of the weekend. That doesn't included the literally countless ones I was able to just brush, shake or flick off myself and my gear. I had to come back a day early because I was so miserable on account of the ticks. Only made it as far as Ritchey Lake before heading back.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    VOT,
    The Ticks were bad this year but that sounds terrible. I sprayed a set of clothes with permethrin and picked up some 100% deet from the States and I didn't have one tick all summer. last year we got bombarded by ticks at birdshill.
    For the most part my summers are too busy to get out backpacking since I have young kids. The fall is when I try to fit in most of my backcountry adventures. The plus side is NO TICKS and very few mosquito's.
    Looking forward to next weekend. Gonna just hit the south trailhead and overnight it at caribou lake.
    Cheers

• + New Posts