hk 11' hyperD - The Silver Bullet
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks

Red River Gorge, Kentucky

Well, I am a couple weeks late posting this, but better late than never!

Lately my job has required that I make some trips from Baton Rouge to different territories around the country. Over the last 6 weeks I've made two trips, one to Lynchburg, VA and most recently to Kentucky. I've been taking advantage of these trips and extending them for one day/night so I can explore some trails that I'd likely not have the opportunity to see. The first trip was great and I documented the report here. I am optimistic that I'll be able to make a few more trips like this for my work. We will see.

Anyway, the purpose of this post is to talk about Red River Gorge. Before I start, I'd like to thank all the Hammockforums.net members who gave me advice and guidance on this trip. Without these guys, specifically Broken Halo, scoffman, and Sintax77 I would have been aimlessly wandering around the area.

I departed Lexington and took the Bert Combs Mountain Parkway to Slade, Kentucky. In Slade I picked up my overnight pass and grabbed a quick lunch at the Subway. Departing the Subway I followed Campton Road to Tunnel Ridge Road, which brings you to the trailhead. I drove a little past the Grey's Arch trailhead to see the sites and I was glad I did.

IMG_3646.jpg

The Tunnel Ridge Road provides many views of beautiful vistas of the gorge and gave me a better understanding for the hike I was about to undertake.

After parking I started my hike by heading towards Grey's Arch. Being summer time I was not really able to see that well through the foliage, but there was one point on the trail where I was first able to see it.

IMG_3658.jpg

Grey's Arch is amazing. I must say I was truly surprised at how large it was. It is hard to take a picture that can actually capture its size. What I ended up doing was using a Google photosphere. I've published it to Google Maps and you can check it out here. Let me know if you like this photosphere. I think it is pretty cool. Here are some more pictures of Grey's Arch.

IMG_3696.jpgIMG_3692.jpgIMG_3697.jpg

After Grey's Arch I continued down the Rough Trail. Some the sites on this trail that I really enjoyed were the Jasmine Rocks IMG_3708.jpg and Corrosion Cave (sorry, no picture, but obvious while you are traversing it).

Shortly after Corrosion Cave you come to Foot Wash Falls. This was a great place to stop and relax, enjoy the sites, and refill on water. Speaking of water, the water in the gorge was delicious!

After the Foot Wash Falls you come to the intersection of the Rough Trail and the Sheltowee Trail. On this trail the you climb to the Signature Rock. From here you get some great views.

And here is why it is called Signature Rock (I swear I did not write my name here)
    IMG_3743.jpg

Continuing on the Sheltowee Trail I came to spot where I would ultimately spend the night. While hiking a thunder storm started threating and I decided to camp near the water and Pygmalion Rock. The site was beautiful and I quickly set up camp to beat the rain. By the way I used my new $20 Yukon tarp and it worked like a charm. Here's where I camped.

The next morning I woke up early and packed up. My phone was dead as I forgot to pack the cord to charge it with my spare battery and therefore I was unable to take any pictures of my return hike. I followed the Koomer Ridge Trail to the Buck trail to the Pitch-em-tight Trail which ultimately brought me back to my rental car. Just as the first half of this trip had beautiful views, the second half was great also. In addition to great views I also had an experience that I will never forget. On a ridge of the Buck Trail, about .25 miles from the intersection with the Pitch-em-tight Trail I had to deviate from the trail to get around a fallen tree. While stepping back onto the trail out of the corner of my eye I spotted something moving where my left foot was about to drop. I quickly jumped forward in mid-stride. After landing from this impromptu jump I turned around to find a 3.5 foot timber rattlesnake sunning itself on the ridge. I swear my heart almost burst through my chest. As I mentioned earlier, my phone was dead, but here is what the snake looked like.

2014-08-30.jpg

After getting back to my car I did a quick charge of my phone and decided to go and hike a small section the the Koomer Ridge trail to see the Hidden Arch. It was a short hike, but the Hidden Arch was cool to see. Here's a few pictures.

IMG_3777.jpgIMG_3778.jpg

Overall, I highly recommend Red River Gorge. If you are anywhere close to this place you need to make some time in your schedule to check it out. Here's a Google Photo Story of my trip.

https://plus.google.com/100005125347...4300e?authkey=

Warm Regards,
    RedStix

Hammock
    DIY HEX70 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY Sylpoly Cat
    Insulation
    CCF pad w/ TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies/MSH
    Great post. I may need to check this out next time I pass through Kentucky and have some spare time when I visit family in Tennessee (traveling from Illinois).

Hammock
    hk 11' hyperD - The Silver Bullet
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokyMtnHiker View Post
    Great post. I may need to check this out next time I pass through Kentucky and have some spare time when I visit family in Tennessee (traveling from Illinois).
    I'd highly recommend it, even if it is a quick day hike.

RedStix

Hammock
    WBBB / Trek Light
    Tarp
    Squidbilly custom
    Insulation
    Jarbidge,UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/strap
    Images
    Its my home turf and it still one of my favorite places hang. Zero problems with hanging a hammock. No hassle, no noise, and just remote enough to feel like your out there all alone (as long as you stay away from the tourist spots). Great write up.
    I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

-Albert Einstein

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Good pics & write up.

I need to get to know The Gorge better. There's so much to see in a relatively small area.

I'm glad you had a great trip. Red River Gorge is one of my favorite places in KY. I would say my second is Cumberland Falls. I'm currently getting ready to section hike the Sheltowee Trace from the divide road in the Big South Fork up to Cumberland Falls, on October 11-16. This is for my son's backpacking merit badge requirement. He really excited, I'm really excited, the only people I think that aren't excited for us is the wife and daughter. The daughter wants to go badly but it's a boy scout function and it's hard enough getting another male leader to go with us, let alone a female so she can come. Oh well if it just ends up being him and I then I'll take the daughter too.

Next time you're up this way you need to check out the Indian staircase, frogs head, and the council chamber. It's one of the more popular spots in the gorge. The views are remarkable and the hike is great. I highly recommend going down the less traveled path from on top of the ridge. It's a blast.

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    I live in Kentucky and the Gorge is probably the de facto best place to spend a few days hanging in the trees. So much to see and it's absolutely beautiful country!

Great write up!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Red River Gorge - June 2014

RedStix - Great report and we LOVE the GORGE!

My last trip with my son:

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Enjoyed your pics & post, Redstix.
    Looks like a great area to explore.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    HENNY HYPER/EXP
    Tarp
    CAMO VERTEX
    Insulation
    BBJB
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    this is LEGIT!!! can't wait to take my hammy out on something like this!
    "You are now Stuckinthetrees..."

• + New Posts