Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Nuttin Special
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

'Nother noob question about tarps - non-continuous-ridgeline-thingy lengths?

I'm not sure what to call the lines that go from the ends of the tarp to the trees; not really a ridgeline, but when i did a search here before posting this question and called it "tarp tie outs," what i got were posts about guy lines and stakes. Those were quite helpful and informative but didn't answer my question. And here it is...about whatever you call it. For those of you who use this method, how long are the lines on each end of the tarp, the ones that go to the trees? I know it depends somewhat on the size of the trees and on how far apart they are, but what's a good average starting point? My tarp (MacCat Deluxe) has a 10'10" ridgeline.

And a secondary question, what's your favorite method for securing the lines. I know there are a bunch of ways to skin that cat, but i'm interested to here what y'all have settled on.

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I stopped using a continuous ridgeline a while back and so my ridgeline guy lines are about 12 foot per side. IMO 12 to 15 feet per side should be long enough. I've found 12 feet long enough for most set ups I've done and if I ever come across really big trees I always carry extra cordage to lengthen if needs be.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Great question. Just yesterday I was trying the same search as you with the same frustration.

Dutchware sells his Stingerz with the option of a 12' length of Zing-it or Lash-it spliced on to them. As I was already looking at buying these, I'm hoping the 12' is a good starting point, and that Dutch already did the research for me. I always have some extra cord with me anyway, but then I have to remember my knots. I'm guessing 12' is good unless you're going camping in Redwood National Park, etc.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I stopped using a continuous ridgeline a while back and so my ridgeline guy lines are about 12 foot per side. IMO 12 to 15 feet per side should be long enough. I've found 12 feet long enough for most set ups I've done and if I ever come across really big trees I always carry extra cordage to lengthen if needs be.
    I'm with bubba. 12-15' each end should cover almost every situation if you do the tarp around the tree and back to the tarp connection.
    If you use hardware (like dutch hooks etc) you could probably cut down to about 10'

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    My Jeep
    Insulation
    Carhartt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It seems like a lot of people have settled on the whoopies and continuous loops for their hammocks. The whoopies can be short and connect to tree straps if you so elect. It depends on the distance between the trees and I'm sure finances play in there somewhere too.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I have the same tarp. I started with a continuous ridgeline, but moved to separate lines and like it much better. I looked a the Dutch Stingerz, but ended up with the Tarp Flyz already spliced on 10 feet of Zing-it. I highly recommend this setup. It works great on that tarp. Here is a link. http://dutchwaregear.com/flyz.html

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I will offor these for some tarp intel and insight......
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    This is what I use. This set-up solved a couple of problems for me.

Hammock
    DIY Nuttin Special
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Now, Uncle Shug, I would never have posted such a question without first consulting that Standard Repository of All Hammock Wisdom known as your YouTube page. Lots of goodies there, to be sure, but if ye mentioned a length for the lines, I couldn't find it.
    I am going to attempt to employ the technique therein discussed for self tensioning guy lines, though. Thanks for that.

Hammock
    DIY Nuttin Special
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hutz, thanks for the link. Those were the methods I was considering, actually, albeit with a small Figure 9 biner. I don't have Stingerz, and there's a part of me that wishes Dutch would stop making all those cool little doo-dads. Covetousness is a character default of mine, and I find myself wanting a pair of everything he makes. Dang, but he is both clever and creative.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast