View Poll Results: DL 1.1 vs SL 1.7

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Double Layer 1.1

17 58.62%
  • Single Layer 1.7

12 41.38%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Opinions on WBBB DL 1.1 and SL 1.7 are welcome!

Hello dear hammockers!

I have now decided to go with the Warbonnet Blackbird. I am sure I will go for either the double layered 1.1 or single layered 1.7, but I just can't decide which will be the best choice, and it's starting to drive me a little nuts! (I'm a little bit of a perfectionist so it is very important for me that I make the right decision...)

I'm planning to use the hammock with an Yeti 3/4 under quilt + sit pad under my legs. I'm 132 lbs.
    for those of you who have/or have tried both of these:

- Which one do you think is the most comfortable?
    - Which one of them has the most stretch? (Of course this question depends on how much you weigh too..)
    - Is the 1.1 in a grey color? I would rather have it in olive green for sure, but of course it's not the most important thing.
    - Why should I choose the DL 1.1 over SL 1.7? And vice versa.

Thanks a lot!

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    well. I only own DL WB's. I like the 1.1 DL. I can put a pad between very easy. I can put some wet clothes in there to body-warmth dry (maybe). Bugs can't bite through it.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Do you find it stretchy?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    Yeti, Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I am 200 pounds and find the 1.1 double layer stretchy and I had more calf pressure problems. The 1.7 is firmer and less calf pressure for me. Some people like the heavier stiffer fabrics, like me. The down side with the 1.7 single is that if you are using a Yeti you will need a pad. Hard to use a pad in a single layer hammock. You could go with the 1.7 double. I know it is heavier, but a good nights sleep is heaven.

Although we have to take in account that you weigh around 70 pounds more than me, so it wont stretch as much for me probably.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    Yeti, Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    True, that would definitely make a difference. 1.1 double would work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustavus View Post
    True, that would definitely make a difference. 1.1 double would work for you.

But regarding the 30D material, it isn't the exact same material as the stuffsacs are made of is it?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    At your weight, I'd go 1.1 single and treat with permithren for the skeeters.

I will say I used a 1.7 single xlc last year for a while and may buy one based on comfort, I really liked it a lot it had a stretchy feel. If I can shed another 20lbs, it may be all the excuse I need.

David

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1/1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Marmot Meteor bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I had a similar line of thinking over the course of the last week, and I ended up going with a double-layer that has 1.7 on the outside and 1.1 on the inside. That said, I was dead set on a DL because I'm using a pad. I'm a bit heavier than you (150 or so) and I wanted a mix between stiffness and weight. Plus, like you, I was partial to the green.

If I had an UQ, I probably would've gone with the 1.7 SL. You could do a 1.1 SL at your weight, but some folks here will probably tell you that it's stretchier and less durable. I wouldn't know from firsthand experience, I just spent a lot of time hunting around the forums.

Oh, and based on the current specs (not the pictures) on the WB website, it looks like the 1.1 fabric is "Olive Brown," no longer gray. Can't say I've ever eaten a brown olive, but I'm color blind.

Best of luck. Let us know how it works out.

Ampersand:
    Thank you for your thorough reply!
    Did you special order that one? How much did it cost?

1.1 SL doesn't feel like the right choice for me for several reasons.

1) I have also heard and have a feeling that the lifetime won't be as long as with a DL or 70D material. (I'm not the most careful person when it comes to handling material stuff, definitely something I should adress. Some day...)
    2) Since I will be using an 3/4 UQ I will have a pad under my legs. Of course, it works with the SL but I have the feeling that it's gonna slide around and as a result I will just be lying there annoyed over not going with the DL. Additionally, there might be cases where I leave the UQ at home and go with a pad as only insulation.
    3) With DL, I could stuff blankets and clothes in between the layers. I can imagine it can be nice to do that sometimes when you're looking for that perfect lay and support on specifics parts of your body, but at the same time don't want to drown in your stuff.
    4) Better mosquito-protection with DL. May not be so much of an issue with an UQ, pad and sleeping bag + clothing. But but..it does feel safe to know that you're well-protected with double layers.

Well, I think that's all I could come up with for now. It's leaning towards the 1.1 DL for now but I will wait some days before doing my order just to let that sink in.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast