Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images

Velcro Bug Net

I'm going to make a hammock basically following HeadChange's DIY Hennessey plan.

I think I'm going to do this one with velcro instead of a zipper, though. I think it will be more forgiving than zippers. I ordered 1.5" velcro from OWF. Is that a good size(now that it's too late)?

How big a pain will it be to put the net on do you think?

Should I use vecro on both sides or just one(sew the other)? I'm no gram weenie so carrying the weight wouldn't really bother me.

I'll probably put a zipper on the next one.

Thanks for any input.

Jbo

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    1.5" seems a bit wide, most velcro I've encountered in the wild id 3/4". 1.5" would give you more leeway when "zipping up" though, so try it and see if you like it I guess..

Acer

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I sewed one side and velcroed the entry side of my now famous "gargoylebird". (famous in my mind) Its kind of a pain to line everything up. I weighted the hammock with a couple of books and pillows to mimmick the 'sag' of body weight, while the hammock was hanging up. Draped the netting over my ridgeline and pinned the netting on the one side, trimmmed off excess and stitched it on. Then set everything back up and aligned the netting on the entry side, I used a dozen small office clips, trimmed excess netting and stitched on velcro.
    Very, Very time consuming and slighly frustating, setting up, taking down, etc.

Once I was done, it was functional, but not removable

On my second hammock I opted for a removable mosquito hammock sock. Much more happy with this option, it give me excellent protection from the bugs, when needed and when it is not needed, it stores in the bishop bag at end of hammock. I used a 46" wide piece of netting, 24 feet long, folded it lengthwise and cut making two 46 x 12' sections, hemmed the two short ends to except a drawstring for closing. Hemmed the long sides together creating the sock.

If I had to do it all over again, I would just build a sock. Much easier
    Plus I can use the sock with any hammock I build in the future.

These dimensions worked for my hammock, adjust dimensions as needed for your hammock and how much sag you like. Make it about a foot longer than your actual length, to allow for gathered drawstring shrinkage.And leave yourself a foot of extra netting under hammock for under quilts. Better to be a little big than too tight and you can't use it.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Gargoyle--

Have been contemplating the mosquito sock all day while playing with my ENO out in the yard and here you've gone and posted the information that I was needing.

Do you have a ridgeline to hold the top end off of your face or do you just let it hang down onto the top edge of you hammock?

When you hem the mosquito netting do you just fold over and stitch or do you finish the end edges with another piece of material to put your draw cords through?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    When you hem the mosquito netting do you just fold over and stitch or do you finish the end edges with another piece of material to put your draw cords through?
    I have dealt with netting both ways. Part of it is whatever floats your boat. Part of it is what you want to accomplish. A solid casing can add accents which can be very nice. You could coordinate the effect with trim on the tarp or hammock if the OCD really kicks in. A rolled hem with a self casing (think stuff sack drawstring) is perfectly serviceable. I don't know that one would be "stronger" than the other. Netting can be wicked strong stuff.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    Acer, that was my thought on using the 1.5". It should be a little less finicky to get it "zipped".

I do keep thinking about a bug sock too. I'm guessing I'll wish I had gone with that option.

Jbo

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Ed Speer told me his preference for velcro is based on his belief that zippers will fail. It makes sense, given that for Ed, a single zipper failure is unacceptable.

Can you imagine being trapped in your hammock, with a stuck zipper, and without a knife?

I've yet to meet anyone who has had a zipper failure, but I do baby my Heresy, now that I have the 2Q/ZQ #2 Bugnet mod.

Maybe I shouldn't have sewed up that bottom entry...

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Anybody done research to find a good source for mosquito netting? I've googled it and found quite a few suppliers, but at ~$6/yd, it seems pricey. Any suggestions?

Any comments as to the visibility though black vs gray vs olive vs camo? 625 holes/sq in. vs 525 holes/sq in? I'm assuming more holes=tighter weave. Is the 625 = noseeum? Getting conflicting info from different sites.
    Last edited by BER; 08-04-2009 at 20:56.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post

If I had to do it all over again, I would just build a sock. Much easier
    Plus I can use the sock with any hammock I build in the future.
    Hey Gargoyle, do you know how much your bugnet sock weighs?

SC

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    Anybody done research to find a good source for mosquito netting? I've googled it and found quite a few suppliers, but at ~$6/yd, it seems pricey. Any suggestions?

Any comments as to the visibility though black vs gray vs olive vs camo? 625 holes/sq in. vs 525 holes/sq in? I'm assuming more holes=tighter weave. Is the 625 = noseeum? Getting conflicting info from different sites.
    You should be able to get netting at a little over $3.00/yd at www.owfinc.com.

Black gives the best visibility from the inside looking out, and blocks visibility best from the outside looking in. White does the opposite. Go with black.

I don't know if 625=noseeum, but the fewer holes the better the air flow. Reg. mosquito netting breathes much better than noseeum, but either should be fine.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast