Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

CO>South Platte River Rd>20-21 Sept 2014>Gravel Road Ride / Overnight Hang on the CT

OPEN INVITE and questions thread.

So a few of us are planning a little gravel road ride on mtn bikes along the South Platte River near Deckers
    with a little fishing along the way and a short hike out of the canyon via the Colorado Trail
    to hang at the top of the canyon. Saturday night 9/20

If you park at Deckers its 10.3 miles and if you park at S Foxton Rd it's 5.4 miles to the Gurdy Gaskill Bridge which is the TH for the CT seg 2.
    Here's a little map and I provided a link to a big one for printing if you don't know the area.

If you would just like to come up and hang sans any riding just be at the Bridge around 4PM Saturday evening.

I plan to park at the intersection of the S. Platte River Rd and S. Foxton Rd. @~10AM Saturday and ride up to NightHawk for lunch.
    Then fish my way back to the Gurdy Gaskill Bridge where we will meet everyone at 4PM to hike up to the top of the canyon to hang for the night.

Big Map picture here.
    https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3841/...ee67b092_o.jpg

A few picts of what the road looks like and where we would camp.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...7642300665143/

Confirmed:
    OutandBack
    JollyGreen
    FlexyToy
    Chuckster12

Confirming:
    LanceHawk
    Last edited by OutandBack; 09-14-2014 at 14:27.

Hammock
    WL Snipe, WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    jarbidge, ridge cr
    Suspension
    whoopies

I'm in

This sounds like a great fall hang. I'll probably meet everyone at the bridge, but there is a chance that I might join you for the bike portion.
    Thanks for planning and posting this.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    OPEN INVITE and questions thread.

So a few of us are planning a little gravel road ride on mtn bikes along the South Platte River near Deckers
    with a little fishing along the way and a short hike out of the canyon via the Colorado Trail
    to hang at the top of the canyon. Saturday night 9/20

If you park at Deckers its 10.3 miles and if you park at S Foxton Rd it's 5.4 miles to the Gurdy Gaskill Bridge which is the TH for the CT seg 2.
    Here's a little map and I provided a link to a big one for printing if you don't know the area.

If you would just like to come up and hang sans any riding just be at the Bridge around 4PM Saturday evening.

I plan to park at the intersection of the S. Platte River Rd and S. Foxton Rd. @~10AM Saturday and ride up to NightHawk for lunch.
    Then fish my way back to the Gurdy Gaskill Bridge where we will meet everyone at 4PM to hike up to the top of the canyon to hang for the night.

Big Map picture here.
    https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3841/...ee67b092_o.jpg

A few picts of what the road looks like and where we would camp.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...7642300665143/

Confirmed:
    OutandBack
    JollyGreen
    FlexyToy

Confirming:
    LanceHawk
    Chuckster12

Images
    Is anyone else interested in fishing on Saturday?
    I'm trying to figure out what the best time to meet at the bridge would be. 4PM might be a little late if no one wants to fish.

Hammock
    WBBB - Blackbird
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG UQ & OQ
    I would like to fish...... looking forward to riding. I just got home from from a nice ride from Breckenridge to Frisco and then back http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/3587454

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flexytoy View Post
    I would like to fish...... looking forward to riding. I just got home from from a nice ride from Breckenridge to Frisco and then back http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/3587454
    Cool I feel better about bringing a flyrod.

I love the Peaks Trail. Some pict from my last time up there.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...7631970459662/

Hammock
    WBBB - Blackbird
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG UQ & OQ
    o&b you cheated, you took the bus up. Great pictures. I was having too much fun riding and enjoying being out (rather than flat on my back) to take pictures. It only took my 1 hour to ride down so I decided to ride back up which took me 2 1/4 hours back up and a lot of sweating.

Images
    o&b you cheated, you took the bus up. Great pictures. I was having too much fun riding and enjoying being out (rather than flat on my back) to take pictures. It only took my 1 hour to ride down so I decided to ride back up which took me 2 1/4 hours back up and a lot of sweating.

I did take the free bus from Frisco to the Breck bus station.
    There was a bit of up from there to the TH. Did you take the paved bike path back up or did you ride the trail in the reverse?

You know you might enjoy this weekend ridding better if you rode CT seg 3 and 2 West to East and just before you drop down the
    switchbacks to the river you turn right head South bushwacking about 500 yards along the rim and you will find our camp.
    I would be happy to shuttle you back to your vehicle up by the Wellington Lake/TH parking area.

Hammock
    WBBB - Blackbird
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG UQ & OQ
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I did take the free bus from Frisco to the Breck bus station.
    There was a bit of up from there to the TH. Did you take the paved bike path back up or did you ride the trail in the reverse?

You know you might enjoy this weekend ridding better if you rode CT seg 3 and 2 West to East and just before you drop down the
    switchbacks to the river you turn right head South bushwacking about 500 yards along the rim and you will find our camp.
    I would be happy to shuttle you back to your vehicle up by the Wellington Lake/TH parking area.
    I rode the Peaks Trail -dirt trail- both ways and back up to Breckenridge. This was the most that I have done since the surgey and being so sick. It felt good but also kicked my butt.

Images
    I rode the Peaks Trail -dirt trail- both ways and back up to Breckenridge. This was the most that I have done since the surgey and being so sick. It felt good but also kicked my butt.
    I'll bet. It took me all day just to ride down the 14 miles from Break to Frisco.

So I got the panniers packed. Put my summer quilts and evening jacket in a drybag.
    I like keeping all my down in one waterproof bag away from my other gear that might leak or cut the fabric.

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Backpacker
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG UQ/OQ
    How did the trip go? Wanted to attend but just couldn't get away that weekend.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast