Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Tarps for cold weather?

When you live in Minnesota (land of Shug!), you know that even in mid-summer that cold weather isn't far off!!!

I've seen Shug's video for his DIY winter tarp (with door flaps on the ends), and I've been looking at the Warbonnet Superfly as a similar design concept.

What I'm looking for is comments/experience from others about such "expanded" tarps and how much difference they can make. Heck, Turk's pictures of his winter setup complete with wood-burning stove are really intriguing.

I'm hoping you folks can help me out with your experience, opinions, suggestions, recommendations and more on adapting to really cold conditions.
    I'm also aware that insulation (top and bottom) is a whole 'nother topic, but I haven't seen a whole lot (yet) on the tarp aspects of dealing with the cold.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    I know doors can be added to almost any tarp, in the event of winter or terrible wind/weather, i will tie my tarp super close sometimes crossing the stakes to block the weather. However, i want to put doors on mine someday, btw i have a maccat deluxe in spinn (arriving soon).

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    ...I haven't seen a whole lot (yet) on the tarp aspects of dealing with the cold.
    I will just say like I said in another post recently that the colder it gets the lower I try to pitch. For me, the idea is keeping the wind out so it is not robbing my heat. I did this at the last Mt Rogers hang and it was pretty windy that first night (although it got much colder the 2nd night and was less windy). I was using a equinox 8x10 tarp had it pitched like a like the Speer Winter Tarp that I have now (but I had much less room inside).

Stormcrow

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I agree with what stormcrow said about blocking the wind. That is where the winter tarp designs excel. I have mucho time under a SuperFly and have weathered some pretty nasty nights in relative comfort. Make your best guess on the prevailing wind direction and the SuperFly will take care of you. I haven't had any condensation issues so far, either out here in the west or out east on the AT. They even do a respectable job cutting those rolling fog moments.

My winter tarps are a very small weight price to pay for the protection they offer.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts