Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Post Official 2015 Sign-up and Contribution Spreadsheet

I have posted a new copy of the spreadsheet used for previous years:

SPREADSHEET

This is where we all have to work together to make sure we have everything we need as a group, and to have enough food, water, and firewood, to fuel everyone in the deep cold.

Those that are going please sign up on the first page of the sheet and continue through tabs 2 and 3 for equipment and food contributions.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again, and meeting some new participants as well.

Michael
    Last edited by vampiresmiley; 09-23-2014 at 07:22.

Hammock
    Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ & EE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I'm planning on attending again this year. Heading up on Wednesday the 14th to help with set up.
    Last count I have 50 of the foam foot/seat pads like I brought last year.
    I checked the spreadsheet but could not update it.

KC

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaycee View Post
    I checked the spreadsheet but could not update it.
    KC
    The link has been updated. Please try it again.

Michael

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I'll throw this out there, but I hate how organized and rigid this hang has become in past years and it's part of the reason I've attended the Wisconsin hang instead. I'm for making our own meals rather than eating a shared slop. As for axes and saws and whatnot, I say if you have them, bring them.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I sure everyone is open to suggestions. I personally appreciate the shared food available, and think it provides a good opportunity for everyone to interact, and to make sure that everyone has enough to eat in the cold. That said, I see no reason why someone could not make their own food as desired.

With a winter hang, I think there needs to be some degree of organization to help insure that everyone comes prepared and the event runs without any major problems. The margin for error due to lack of preparation or knowledge in the winter is obviously a lot smaller than it is the rest of the year, and this event now tends to draw participants who may not be as familiar with the conditions that MN experiences every year.

What aspects of the hang do you feel are too organized or rigid, and what can we improve on?

Michael

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    I'll throw this out there, but I hate how organized and rigid this hang has become in past years and it's part of the reason I've attended the Wisconsin hang instead. I'm for making our own meals rather than eating a shared slop. As for axes and saws and whatnot, I say if you have them, bring them.
    I appreciated the organization in the past hangs and those who stepped up to make a big hang like this happen. Those with no Winter Hanging experience appreciated it for sure. Certainly if you want to cook your own food you could or can. The food sharing is a big part of this hang. Makes it easy for the less experienced to focus on thier rigs and keeping warm. Many folks were not from the cold North.

As to it being too rigid......I don't even get what that means)))) With as many folks that attend wishy-washy won't cut it.
    Just come to it and pass judgment after the fact. I think you will feel differently about it.

Shug
    Last edited by Shug; 09-23-2014 at 10:07.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm definitely thinking about trying to make it to this hang. It's a long drive from Cincinnati, though. I need to look into a car pool and to see if i can get the required amount of time off.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    To be honest, I was a bit freaked out by the whole "dump everything into a pot and cook it" going in last year. I wasn't expecting it to taste so good. That said, I had a weeks worth of food with me in case I started to gag. Even the coffee was better than I was expecting.
    I call dibs on Hikingdads portion of Shugs pork butts!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I appreciated the organization in the past hangs and those who stepped up to make a big hang like this happen. Those with no Winter Hanging experience appreciated it for sure. Certainly if you want to cook your own food you could or can. The food sharing is a big part of this hang. Makes it easy for the less experienced to focus on thier rigs and keeping warm. Many folks were not from the cold North.

As to it being too rigid......I don't even get what that means)))) With as many folks that attend wishy-washy won't cut it.
    Just come to it and pass judgment after the fact. I think you will feel differently about it.

Shug
    As long as I'm not chastised for not contributing to the pot o' mush :P

As for being rigid, It seems that in the past people were getting rejected/told not to come based on what they were going to bring/wear. It was "conform to our standards of cold weather camping or don't come" mentality. My good friend CryOTheWild and I have camped in the winter together many times, and he used to use NO QUILT! I guess he's just hairy and all, but in the past I think most of the "planners" would have told him not to come. And I have been before, Shug...so am I allowed to pass judgement now?

I guess I just believe that we're all adults that love to participate in these events and we should all be responsible enough to do our own planning/research and determination of what will work or not. Thinking that maybe "rigid" wasn't the best word to use Regardless of how rigid or not this becomes, I'm sure a good time will be had by all!
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    As long as I'm not chastised for not contributing to the pot o' mush :P

As for being rigid, It seems that in the past people were getting rejected/told not to come based on what they were going to bring/wear. It was "conform to our standards of cold weather camping or don't come" mentality. My good friend CryOTheWild and I have camped in the winter together many times, and he used to use NO QUILT! I guess he's just hairy and all, but in the past I think most of the "planners" would have told him not to come. And I have been before, Shug...so am I allowed to pass judgement now?

I guess I just believe that we're all adults that love to participate in these events and we should all be responsible enough to do our own planning/research and determination of what will work or not. Thinking that maybe "rigid" wasn't the best word to use Regardless of how rigid or not this becomes, I'm sure a good time will be had by all!
    Reckon I have not been on the MFBH as the same time as you....did not know that. It is your right to say what you feel.
    I still believe the trip planners/leaders were just looking out for the best interests of those wanting to attend as is the planners responsibility by proxy according to the ways many of us were taught. Especially on these kind of events.
    Last year Jason and Madhob took over when Stairguy dropped out (where is he by the way?)...they brought the parachute fire shelter, tarps, rope and built the pot stand/clothes thawer/ and did all kind of extra chores. Led the wood gathering too. Also tended the fire and area like a couple of pros. As this hang gets bigger and bigger the Canadian style fire and all the tending is needed to make sure all get some fire comfort.
    The temps were not too bad last year but had they plummeted...as everyone wants.....we just want to make sure everyone is prepared.
    Hoping I can make it to this again though there will be winter camping regardless.
    Whooooo Buddies and Betties)))))
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast