DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Help/ideas on zipperless netting on a bridge hammock

Hey all looking for some help but more of ideas on doing a net for a bridge hammock. I would like to do something like Shug did for his Grizz Hammock. I'm thinking of doing a shock cord around the bottom like the bug-a-nator instead of the flaps. Has anyone done anything like this on a bridge? I already have the tubes sewn for the spreader bars and the No-see-um ready to go just like to see a picture first and maybe some feed back on this idea before I go to town on it.

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    bug-a-nator: Amazon.com : Texsport 15086 Bug-a-nator II electronic Insect Zapper Assorted Colors

I'm interested in what you really want to convey by the term "bug-a-nator"

I made a Fronkey style net for a gathered end hammock. The shock cord compromises the loft of an underquilt. The fronkey also slides over the ridgeline of my hammock, so for a bridge hamm, you should anchor it to the spreader bar sleeves with a tiedown, velcro, snaps, side or center release buckles, etc. I like the shock cord idea, but won't do it again.

Perhaps you can upload a jpg of a sketch of your net, or just go ahead and sew it and upload picture when you finish?

Truly "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." do what you have planned and see if someone copies you.

Jeff

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    He prolly means a bias buginator (name brand fronkey style net)

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ok this is what I came up with it's not done yet I need to get some 1/16 shock cord from Zpacks to run in the hem on both sides to clinch it up a bit. The net is clipped on with 8 of these with http://www.countrybrookdesign.com/we...-3-8-inch.html Great source for DIY parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by krshome; 09-16-2014 at 09:27.

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images

Great design. Maybe you can omit the shock cord on the long edges of the bug net

You have done a bang up job on that! I see you have Dutch's joints (or the like)--you've integrated it nicely.

And many thanks for sourcing those 3/8" center release buckles and webbing! I'd quit looking so long ago.

Now, I'm thinking that when you add the shock cord, it pulls the corners together. And if you first shock cord the ends first, that pulls the corners together so that instead of being spreader bar length (36"?) apart, you can bring the corners closer than the hammock width at the middle. That might be close enough to omit the shock cord on the long edges of the bug net.

Do you plan to use an underquilt?

Can you leave the net home off for dead-bug-season camping?

Jeff

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hey Jeff thanks for the kind comments. Yes I'm going to use an UQ, I don't know If you can tell by the pictures but I cut the end pieces on an angle to pull the sides in just enough not to compromise the loft of the UQ. I'm hoping the shockcord takes out just a little of the slop on the sides. I ordered some stuff from zpacks last night so hopefully I can finish this up by this weekend to update how it works.

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    On my bridge I sewed the bug net to one long side and put pockets along the bottom of the net on the other three sides. Loops at the top get shock corded to my tarp ridgeline. Then I out gear like my stove and nalgene in the pockets. That pulls it taught and seals it around the body of the hammock. It also leaves the UQ uncompressed.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Looks good.

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by stalker42 View Post
    On my bridge I sewed the bug net to one long side and put pockets along the bottom of the net on the other three sides. Loops at the top get shock corded to my tarp ridgeline. Then I out gear like my stove and nalgene in the pockets. That pulls it taught and seals it around the body of the hammock. It also leaves the UQ uncompressed.
    The pockets on the long sides of the net to weigh it down where one of the ways i was thinking of doing it and still may, if the shock cord doesn't work out. I'm also thinking of putting a pocket on the head end of the net for storage since the end cap has the shock cord all i have to do is pull down to access the pocket, just an idea at the moment

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So as good as it looked the shock cord idea was an epic fail. The shock cord actually pulled the side netting all the way up to the top leaving the sides open by 4-5 inches. Also after getting into the hammock I found the netting to be to long by about 6 inches. I have shortened it and now that seems ok. The shock cord I had pulling the netting up off my face is not needed at all there is plenty of space created from the sag of the hammock. So now I'm going to try pockets on the sides to weigh down the netting. Temporarily I have sewn a loop in the middle to clip my sneakers to. If the sneaker thing works I may be able to save this project.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast