Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which HH do i get ?

I snow hammock ,so i want a insulated type as shown on HH web site,the 4 season kit i think it is ,but there are so many hammocks there i dont understand what fits what
    i want a bottom entry
    a large rain,weather fly
    a good size but not a double
    prefer camo type or green colour
    Our snowy mountains dont get that cold, around -2 to -5 celsius so there insulated kit should be adequate

what is thye differance between all those models ,its hard to understand the descriptions
    Thanks
    Josh

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Donna here...
    Hennessy has great customer service...maybe you could give them a call. I'm sure they would be glad to answer your questions.

I do know that you can upgrade to a larger tarp...the Hex silnylon tarp is a nice tarp.

I think the green hammock fabric is their heavier fabric. The browns are their ultralight hammocks. I think the camo color is a heavier fabric also. Are you car camping or hiking with the hammock?
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Personally I would give HH a call. I did when I purchased mine a couple of years ago and it saved me a bunch of heartache of the equipment not fitting my needs.

I would also suggest that you might want to consider not purchasing the HH Super Shelter and instead go with an Under Quilt (UQ) and an Under Quilt Protector (UQP). My experience is only with UQ and not the SS but from the treads on here about the SS it appears to be more difficult to adjust and has more condensation issues. If you want more data on the SS just search for threads in the HH section by BillyBob. He has done a great job of testing.

If you decide to go with an UQ look closes at JacksRBetter The Nest. It is the only UQ that matches up with the bottom entry (I prefer the BE also) so it is a breeze to use. You can, however, use almost any 3/4 quilt and it will pop back into place with the BE. The Potomac UQ from Arrowhead is an alternative to JRB The Nest. The Potomac is, however, synthetic so is bulker and heavier.

In either case I would get/use an UQP. It keeps your quilt clean and reduces any wind issues where wind is robbing your UQ of it warmth. To purchase that item just follow the links in Donna's post above. Her and her hubby and the production team for them

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Good questions Josh. As others said, call HH.
    Here are some thoughts I have:
    I have used a bottom entry (HH Backpacker Ultralight) for quite a few years. Started as my main camping hammock (I'm in the NE USA = night temps 70F down to 20F) and I still use my HH for my primary summer bug season hammock.
    After a couple years of winter use with pads (never was 'warm' below 30F) I got a 3/4 UQ and UQP. The UQ worked fine, but the UQP was a pain with BE. I found myself back to using my Gossamer Gear wide pads - for me the pad worked better than the UQ/UQP combo in a bottom entry HH in temps above 50F.
    So, I made a winter hammock (11 ft no-sew gathered end hammock) to use with my UQ/UQP and used this combo for last winter - this worked great in cold weather and I was truly warm/comfortable.
    So, what I found was that a combination of insulation and hammocks work best for me - enables choosing best combo for the trip. HH Bottom Entry with a wide pad cut to fit with fleece wrap for summer (love that integrated bug net and with a pad cut to fit it doesn't move); and a gathered end with UQ/UQP in winter.
    Final thought, HH provides an entire ready to go package, so I have always used my HH tarp with both hammocks. Your winter is probably about over, so maybe just get your spring/summer/fall system together (HH without the SS), learn as you go through these seasons, and make a more informed decision next year for winter additions. My gathered end hammock cost about $12US Nylon material and 25 foot of Amsteel for suspension ($6US) or $18US total. Dutch has them made up and on sale for $32US, plus the $6 amsteel = about $38 but shipping may be the issue for you, but a 2nd gathered end hammock is cheap however you choose to acquire one.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 09-15-2014 at 09:11.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Thank you all for the input , I should add I am in Australia,Melbourne so shipping on large bulky items can be expensive ,eg 4 season military sleep bag, cost ,$130 shipping $160 . From Georgia I think . Oldpaps is spot on about the shipping issue and yeah winter is ending unfortunately,the snakes will be active and mozzies will gear up . I don't usually go bush during summer as it's to hot ,bushfires can be an issue and I detest reptiles. I usually hike into mountains so weight is considered , but I keep my distances short ,I'm not out to get fit or knacker myself out hiking I just want to get off the beaten track a bit. Uq are so expensive and seem bulky I don't know the weights , I will look into it though, it's defiantly the most popular addition for cold hammock'n . Remember though I'm not in Alaska or Yellowknife . Snow is a novelty ,.i doubt I would ever see any colder than -5 Celsius so about 23 f which is T shirt weather for a Canadian
    I will ring Hennessy does anyone know what state there in so I can check the time zone difference .
    Anyway really thank you for your input
    Josh

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    They are in Canada...I think on the west coast.
    Donna
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Yes, British Columbia Pacific Time Zone

Hammock
    TW Green Hornet / BMBH / WBBB 1.1SL
    Tarp
    Sargasso/Cloudburs
    Insulation
    HudsonRvr/Leighlo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Hennessy has flat rate shipping to Oz, so you will get a pleasant surprise ! $30 !

Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    So, what I found was that a combination of insulation and hammocks work best for me - enables choosing best combo for the trip. HH Bottom Entry with a wide pad cut to fit with fleece wrap for summer (love that integrated bug net and with a pad cut to fit it doesn't move); and a gathered end with UQ/UQP in winter.
    This sounds like excellent advice that I intend to follow myself. I've loved my HH Eped so far, but haven't hung in true cold weather yet. The suggestion to have a summer hammock AND a winter hammock, different configurations, is appealing. Thanks!

I have a US military modular sleep system on its way, it's rated to -40 f I believe , I'm sure it will be enough in my hammock surely. Can hanging in hammock be colder than lying on snow ?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast