WB Blackbird XLC, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    All WB tarps
    Insulation
    Down quilts
    Suspension
    WB webbing/buckles

Ridgerunner 1.1DL First Impressions

This is my first serious attempt to retire from tent camping. I've carried an ENO for relaxing, but I figured I needed a dedicated hammock for camping. I settled on the Warbonnet Ridgerunner and Cloudburst tarp, and received them on Friday. I set up the hammock for the first time on Saturday.

Using a pair of different color Metolius carabiners I got from REI (can tell at a glance which is the head end of the hammock when pulling out of the stuff sack), I set up the hammock in the back yard. I would say I got in about 10 minutes of laying before my wife came out to test it out. Considering I've only ever laid in an ENO, the experience was fantastic! As a matter of fact, my wife decided to take an hour-long nap in it! (Which may necessitate ordering a second one.)

The excellent, flat lay and the quality of the workmanship affirmed I made the right choice. To me, the lay was improved even more after I inserted a 25" wide ThermaRest closed cell foam pad in the pad sleeve. I haven't tried my Big Agnes Air Core yet, but the cc pad made it feel wider and flatter still, and the warmth radiating up was immediately evident. The Cloudburst tarp was equally impressive; pull outs in the perfect spot and the little rings in the ridge seam for attaching the bug net cords is a great little detail. Can't wait for the first camping trip!

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    You definitely made the right decision. I love mine. Slept in mine Friday night with a thermarest ridgerest pad and a snugpak jungle blanket. It got down to about 55 degrees, and I was comfortable.

I would have slept in it Saturday night too, but I had to put two hammocks under my Superfly and the RR would've been too wide.

I'm pretty sure the next few times I hang solo, I'm going to be in my RR. That thing is awesome.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    All WB tarps
    Insulation
    Down quilts
    Suspension
    WB webbing/buckles
    The WBRR and tarp weigh 7.5 oz more than my one person REI tent + ground tarp, but I'm thinking the comfort is worth the slight weight gain. Plus I can lose the ENO and atlas straps from my pack, so I'm actually shedding weight overall.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnoutback View Post
    The WBRR and tarp weigh 7.5 oz more than my one person REI tent + ground tarp, but I'm thinking the comfort is worth the slight weight gain. Plus I can lose the ENO and atlas straps from my pack, so I'm actually shedding weight overall.
    When I tent camp I always take a tarp for dining/relaxing in addition to the tent and ground cloth. The hammock tarp can often do double duty as hammock protection and camp tarp - depending on finding a suitable hang location close to the camp activities. So, often, the weight comparison swings in favor of the hammock setup. And, I agree, the comfort difference is worth a small weight disadvantage anyway.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

• + New Posts