Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Insulation
    CCF pad (for now)
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    To answer some of your questions, I do live in san Diego, but i love to snowshoe, and in all reality with my backpacking snow is more likley for me to run into then rain. I am looking for a tarp thats right around 100 bucks. Really I have no idea were to start. Ive seen all of them and really can't decide on any :/

-CS

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    As far as construction, quality and customer service, both the MacCat Deluxe and the Speer Winter Tarp are pretty much neck and neck. They're both close to the same weight and cost as well. But if it's coverage you want, then between those two tarps, I'd go for the Speer Winter Tarp. Just my $0.02.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by klaatu View Post
    I feel your pain, Cannibal. I really don't like those things.

What is with you guys and spiders? WOW. LOL. I actually kind of like the little guys. They do a lot of good getting rid of the flying bugs that I tend to dislike. MOST of them do not really bother people. Were you traumatized by one as a kid? Yeah, flying, stinging type creatures are worse for me hands down. But even those tend to bug other people more than me.

SC

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.1
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps and 'biners
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    What is with you guys and spiders? WOW. LOL. I actually kind of like the little guys. They do a lot of good getting rid of the flying bugs that I tend to dislike. MOST of them do not really bother people. Were you traumatized by one as a kid? Yeah, flying, stinging type creatures are worse for me hands down. But even those tend to bug other people more than me.

SC
    I had a GIANT wolf spider jump out of my shoe when I was young. A few nightmares as well. I tend to let them be these days, unless they are in the house or in my way, unless it is a black widow. They die as soon as I find them, which averages about 1 a year. Can't risk one of the kids getting hit by one of those. I rarely see brown recluses, but I know they are around and they also need to go.
    One day I'll come up with a clever sig.

Quote Originally Posted by klaatu View Post
    I had a GIANT wolf spider jump out of my shoe when I was young. A few nightmares as well. I tend to let them be these days, unless they are in the house or in my way, unless it is a black widow. They die as soon as I find them, which averages about 1 a year. Can't risk one of the kids getting hit by one of those. I rarely see brown recluses, but I know they are around and they also need to go.
    I had a wolf spider crawl up the inside of my bednet (on a GI cot) and crawl across my face in the middle of the night in Haiti. It gave me a bit of a fright.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.1
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps and 'biners
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    I had a wolf spider crawl up the inside of my bednet (on a GI cot) and crawl across my face in the middle of the night in Haiti. It gave me a bit of a fright.
    They would have buried me the next day.
    One day I'll come up with a clever sig.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    When I lived north of Chicago I used to watch wolf spiders eat roaches. That alone endeared the l'il critters to my heart. I'm not too fond of the brown recluse but that's mostly because I don;t like the places where they hang out. I try to make sure I don't grab into a wood pile without kicking it around a bit. Or unless I have gloves, which is rare.

I have an amusing story about my mother and a black widow spider but it is too complicated to tell over the text forum. Suffice it to say my mother could not kill anything and ended up carrying this spider out of a store on a Christmas decoration to the nearby woods. Much to the consternation of her daughter and the amusement of her sons. My dad was almost as bad as mom when it came to letting things live.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I am able to close off the ends of a 8x10 OES tarp. Go as light as you can, whatever you choose, or you'll be buying it again.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    What is with you guys and spiders? WOW. LOL. I actually kind of like the little guys. They do a lot of good getting rid of the flying bugs that I tend to dislike. MOST of them do not really bother people. Were you traumatized by one as a kid?
    Nope, never traumatized by a spider. It may be my mind working because my immune system does react very aggressively to a spider bite. A bite on the hand makes the hand useless for a couple of days due to swelling; doesn't really matter the species.

More likely it's because I know evil when I see it. Those things are spawned from Satan. I swear it's the truth!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Insulation
    CCF pad (for now)
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    hahaha i think im going to go with the speer winter just because the 2 oz weight penalty is, to me, worth the more options provided by the speer. And the winter hammock is actually just a tad bit cheeper

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast