ridgerunner questions

Hello,
    New here. Recently bought a ridgerunner. Works pretty good, service was great, get it before the 4 day labor day weekend, slept 8 it now probably 8 days. Had used a Hennessey explorer now for about a year prior, so no stranger to hammocks. People ask here how a bridge compares, which is better, etc. I think at this point both are good. I feel more secure in the Hennessy as far as not falling out, Ridgeline inside to hang a light off, but the ridgerunner is **** comfy in hot, still air. I've camped in it at 41 degrees at night and been good too with my wife's exercise pad. So far so good! She's taken a real liking to the Hennessy, sleeping on it in the house!

Questions:
    1. My biggest headache with the ridgerunner is setting up the super fly tarp quickly and how to pack it back in its bag, strings and all. So far I figure it works like a kid's parachute gi joe toy, stuff the nylon in, the ropes last? It's a nice tarp, but not at all easy to deploy like the Hennessy. I think it's got 8, 10 tie outs and stakes. Suggestions on speeding up deployment?
    2. Tree sap! Easier way to get it out?

I use the hammocks mostly for dirt bike camping, appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Chuck

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime_Beef View Post
    Hello,
    New here. Recently bought a ridgerunner. Works pretty good, service was great, get it before the 4 day labor day weekend, slept 8 it now probably 8 days. Had used a Hennessey explorer now for about a year prior, so no stranger to hammocks. People ask here how a bridge compares, which is better, etc. I think at this point both are good. I feel more secure in the Hennessy as far as not falling out, Ridgeline inside to hang a light off, but the ridgerunner is **** comfy in hot, still air. I've camped in it at 41 degrees at night and been good too with my wife's exercise pad. So far so good! She's taken a real liking to the Hennessy, sleeping on it in the house!

Questions:
    1. My biggest headache with the ridgerunner is setting up the super fly tarp quickly and how to pack it back in its bag, strings and all. So far I figure it works like a kid's parachute gi joe toy, stuff the nylon in, the ropes last? It's a nice tarp, but not at all easy to deploy like the Hennessy. I think it's got 8, 10 tie outs and stakes. Suggestions on speeding up deployment?
    2. Tree sap! Easier way to get it out?

I use the hammocks mostly for dirt bike camping, appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Chuck

Well Chuck, as far as easy to deploy and pack up goes, have you looked into getting a pair of snake skins for the tarp?? Shug has some great videos to show you how to use them and as far as sap goes i'm not sure how to get it out, you can contact Brandon at Waebonnet for his advise but AHE sells small sap sacks to keep your straps away from your hammock, i think they are only 5 bucks each. good luck

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    How do you mean your biggest headache with the rr is superfly packing?The superfly packing doesent have anything to to with the rr. With my big tarps i just quickly wrap up the guylines and just stuff it all in a double ended stuffsack. Easey and it never tangles. Only takes me like 3 minutes and can save ALOT of time untangling a snarl.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    I also use a double ended stuff sack. Just got two more in camo from Warbonnet yesterday as a matter of fact. Makes deployment a lot easier. Snakeskins make it even easier, but then I usually put the tarp wrapped in snakeskins in a sack... so to avoid using two forms of storage on one tarp, I just stick with a bishop bag (double ended stuff sack).

Also, use this method to wrap up your guylines and ridgeline to keep it neat and tangle free, which also deploy quickly.
    wrapping-guyline.jpg

Snake skins for the tarp can help deploy and stow the tarp very quickly.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...skins-for-tarp

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I like using my snakeskins for tarp setup/takedown. I hank all the guylines then roll the tarp up to my ridgeline (I use a separate SRL) and pull the snakeskins into place. I know it's overkill but I even hank each end of the ridgeline poking out of the skins then the whole mess gets rolled in a ball and crammed into another stuffsack.

Sap is a huge pain. I generally try and stay away from pines or at least look for ones that aren't leaking a bunch of sap. If you do happen to get a bunch on your straps or hammock body you can use "goo gone extreme" to remove it. This stuff is basically orange oil and doesn't appear to damage fabric like some stronger stuff does. I managed to get all the sap out of a fleece jacket with it after I leaned against an injured tree on the trail.

I have snakeskin for the Hennessy, probably best way to go but the super fly packs up so small!

I take it you guys run your own Ridgeline from tree to tree for it?

• + New Posts