Tarp
    DIY 12 ft. w/Doors
    Insulation
    Flight Jacket
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

I'm dumb.

Hello all,
    Just thought I would let you know that I'm stupid. Over the weekend I decided to go on a hiking trip up in Northern Michigan on the North country trail. Not a lot of research was available on the area that I was hiking, so I decided to wing it and go for it. I knew there would be rain, I brought rain gear along, and I knew the general time it would be starting. I had no idea where I was going to camp, I just kind of figured I would find two nice trees and hook up the hennessy.
    The hike was great, put in close to twenty miles, and 19 out of 20 went better than planned. Lots of wildlife, no other hikers, decent amount of water supply. Then the rain came at mile 19. I was tired, wet and starting to get cold (50 degrees at the time), and looking for any campsite. I came across an awesome shelter that was locked, but it had an outhouse and some great trees to hang from. I set up the hammock blew up my sleeping pad, threw both my sleeping bags inside, cooked some dinner and decided to go to bed around 6.
    I had two sleeping bags, a 25 degree rated one and a REI travel sack I've had for years. I had a fleece, zip off pants, long sleeve t-shirt, a regular t-shirt, two pairs of wool socks, a wool hat and a neck warmer on, and still froze. I was shaking, cold, wet, and 20 miles from my car.
    The next morning I rolled out of my hammock, ate two mountainhouses, failed at making coffee and walked almost all day to get back to my truck. It was the worst experience I've had. And that's why I'm dumb. I'm buying an underquilt, A NICE ONE TOO, once I get the money.

I hope my stupidity made you feel smarter,

Nighthawk

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    The most important thing is you survived and hopfully learned a lesson that you'll never repeat !

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    What was the overnight low? I would think that a pad and a true 25 degree bag would take you close to that if wind wasn't a factor. Add in the second bag and clothes, and you should have been comfortable to below freezing.

So if it wasn't that, what really went wrong?

My guess is you went to bed already chilled, wearing damp clothes from 20 miles of hiking, and without eating enough food to replenish the energy expended in those 20 miles let alone dry out and warm up. Were your t-shirts cotton by chance?

Images
    Never forget the hot water bottle trick even in summer it can make a big difference.
    Thanks for the story and enjoy shopping for an UQ they really do a good job of keeping you
    warm as long as you can keep them dry.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by genixia View Post
    What was the overnight low? I would think that a pad and a true 25 degree bag would take you close to that if wind wasn't a factor. Add in the second bag and clothes, and you should have been comfortable to below freezing.

So if it wasn't that, what really went wrong?

My guess is you went to bed already chilled, wearing damp clothes from 20 miles of hiking, and without eating enough food to replenish the energy expended in those 20 miles let alone dry out and warm up. Were your t-shirts cotton by chance?
    I think the issue with the pad is that it sounds like it was an inflatable pad which doesn't provide nearly as much insulation value as foam or self-inflating pads. Add that to the other things you mentioned and it will make for one miserable night.

Glad you were able to make it out ok. Rest assured that is the kind of mistake you will only make once.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    I think the issue with the pad is that it sounds like it was an inflatable pad which doesn't provide nearly as much insulation value as foam or self-inflating pads. ...
    Many of the inflatables contain down or synthetic insulation now, but the OP didn't state what kind his is.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Glad you made it out ok.

Many times I "wing it" but I always test my gear in various weather conditions at home including carting the stuff outside and sitting it up in the middle of a rain storm just to make sure I know how to do it and keep my down dry. Being cold is no fun. Being cold and wet can be deadly!

You are not stupid. You just learned a valuable lesson the hard way....which is exactly how most of us learn

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO HouseFly
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    I'm assuming you had a change of clothes and did so before hitting the sack. When I go camping and I know the temps will be dropping pretty low, I bring some hot hands and throw them in my sleeping bag about an hour before hitting the hay. I put one at my feet, one at my hips and one at my chest/upper back area. They're not expensive and have really made hammock camping wonderful in the winter. I use a closed cell pad, poncho liner on top of that and a 20 degree bag. I've slept in weather in the low 20's and have been warm and toasty all night.

Glad you made it out okay. I wouldn't consider you "dumb", you just learned a good lesson, as we all have. I came up with my set up after freezing my behind off several years ago and it's worked great. I felt "dumb" then, too, but I learned from it and now have great cold weather outings.
    "A man's got to know his limitations," Clint Eastwood in Magnum Force

Hammock
    Bonefire whisper/Airship
    Tarp
    Airship
    Insulation
    WB Yeti//HG TQ
    Suspension
    All in one
    Images
    Don't feel bad brother . Last year I forgot my UQ and my TQ. Thank God it only got down into the 30's. Lesson learned though.
    Don't be scared ,it's just a beard.

My youtube videos on Hiking ,Camping & Cooking

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Considering you were rather hungry in the morning (2 MH for bfast), this might be another area to look at. Food is essential to keeping you warm.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast