Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Greetings from Finland and advice beseeched!

Hello,

A fairly new hiker here, age 28, only two years of trail busting behind. I live in Vantaa with my girlfriend and we frequently visit the nearest National Park which is Nuuksio. She is to blame for this new, awesome hobby.

I’ve now watched too much of Shug, Sintax77 and other hikers to realise that for my solo outings, it makes little sense to take our Hilleberg Nallo 2, an over two kg 2-person tent as my shelter. I’ve been reading everything I can from websites, forums to blogs and I’m almost ready to make my first exciting orders - and pay much extra for over-seas shipping and VAT, of course. The hammock culture in Finland seems very small and thus no good local retailers. Now before I order anything, I would like to hear what experienced people think of my plans and thoughts. All advice is appreciated and I’m open for suggestions or tweaks! I’m in no hurry to spend.

Allow me to lay out some background. First thing that I want from a hammock is reliable 4-season performance and a weather shield for additional cover. I hope a strong winter hammock will be somewhat more forgiving to a newbie, when the temperatures eventually drop. I’m 183cm (a six footer?) and weigh 68kg (150 pounds), but I’m in good shape to carry stuff. I just don’t like the tent because it doesn’t compact into a small package. I’m also still trying to gain back the pounds I lost, when we were hiking in Kuusamo and did the Bear’s trail. It was venerably hot and both of us just kept drinking litres of water. You can check our earlier adventures here: jariperho.exposure.co

My hammock browsing eventually lead me to the NX-150 from Clark Jungle Hammock. It’s sturdy, 4-seasonal, got the weather shield, extra pockets and at least 500 grams lighter than the Hilleberg tent. I would also add the Z-liner 150 to the same order. Under quilts evaded (for now). I can also knock off 50 bucks from the NX’s price by sticking with our Hilleberg UL 10 tarp. If I want something small and lighter in the future, I’ll take that 50 bucks and invest in cuben fiber.

The next shopping spree would take place at kammok. I showed the red Roo to my girlfriend and she instantly fell in love with it. I might have to get that as an oddly-timed christmas present… Anyway, pretty much everyone discards the stock suspension of the Clark and replaces it with something else. I also don’t see a reason to not get something more simple. Kammok's got these Python Straps and a Racer Sling which I researched and found to be pretty practical and easy. A few climbing carabiners and I’m good to go.

I don’t think I want to mess too much with knots at this point or with elaborate DIY modifications. The tarp gets my fancy knots for the time being. The idea I laid out before you now, would only take two separate orders. I really don't want to import stuff from too many different sites.

Hope to see some criticism and maybe we’ll bump in the forums elsewhere as well!

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WarBonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Welcome Jari,

I too am new to hammocking and these forums. I'm sure we will bump into each other out here on the boards... Til then welcome.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Not sure a 4 season hammock system is going to save that much weight or compactness over your tent, sleeping bag & pad, but you will be more comfortable & it does give you a different perspective...trees & hammock swaying
    with the wind gusts.

Checked out your site, great looking landscape to explore, also liked the site layout & quality pics.
    Looking forward to your first hammocking trip report .
    Welcome to the forum, Jari Perho.
    Last edited by ofuros; 09-18-2014 at 16:16.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome from the Jersey Shore. I personally don't think there is such a thing as a 4-season hammock. Clark says they have a weather shield and some pockets to add insulation, so I guess that's what makes it a 4-season hammock. However, it's bring-your-own-insulation so it all seems like marketing to me. I don't think anyone else even tries to market their hammocks as 4-season hammocks. Winter hammocking is mostly about the insulation. Clark also makes some of the heaviest hammocks to be found on the marketplace - I doubt seriously it will compact into a small package.

Also, be very wary of Kammok's customer service. There have been several complaints, leading some to question if they even have a customer service department.

Good luck!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    In addition to potential customer service issues, the Kammok python straps you're looking at work great and provide a lot of different attachment points for hammocks with simple suspensions, but they are VERY heavy compared to alternatives. I have a pair, and wish I did more research before I got them. Now they only go on car camping trips or as loaners.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Dang.

You sure have a lot of vowels in Finland.

Welcome from Texas!

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

I'm temporarily scratching all my hammock plans, because no sooner posting this thread, I stumbled upon the Finnish Tarseer from MadTree. Definitely going to at least try it in the shop. It's pretty expensive, but at the same time not considering all the insulation that comes with it. A pretty light package too. I was informed it's pretty easy to use my sleeping pad and bag for added protection, sounds bloody convenient to me.

sargevining, be sure to check out vowel harmony in the Finnish language.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I really enjoyed your blog....beautiful trails you have there. Just in case you may reconsider buying a hammock from the USA with a weathershield, I would highly recommend one of the Dream Hammocks. They are the lightest hammock with a weathershield as far as I know.

The Tarseer looks like an interesting design. I'm not sure I like the three attachment points but perhaps the spreader bar system works well enough. If you do buy it please do a review for us. You are right about being pricey!

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I really enjoyed your blog....beautiful trails you have there. Just in case you may reconsider buying a hammock from the USA with a weathershield, I would highly recommend one of the Dream Hammocks. They are the lightest hammock with a weathershield as far as I know.
    Thanks for the compliment. Our landscapes are pretty flat, but we have beautiful forests and lakes. I'll take a look at Dream Hammocks, but I now also found about Sheltowee Hammocks. An insulated hammock is making more and more sense to me. The nights in Finland never seem to get too warm, even in the summer.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    A little bit more info on the tarseer here..https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hlight=tarseer

I've been using a tarseer for a couple of years now, you'll see it in most of my trip reports. It's a great 3 season system which
    can be stretched to 4 season with an extra layer of insulation(add a Under Quilt) plus a Under Cover to block those cold winds from blowing your warmth away.

Last edited by ofuros; 09-18-2014 at 17:02.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast