Hey, NM_Leo, I'm with the others; wool is heavy & bulky on a trek, and a ccf pad isn't very comfortable imo. Down is your best bet, and in NM it's not hard to keep it dry! (except during state fair and balloon fiesta, when of course it always rains on the weekends)

Not a huge deal that you don't sew, although you'll probably get caught up in it if you hang around here much. Meanwhile, if you need some sewing done you might try the fabric stores; ask the clerks and look on their poster board for somebody who sews. Or maybe trade something you can do for a sewing job. Craigslist? Daily Lobo? Maybe a neighbor or colleague has a closet-sewing habit! I used to sew for people on the side, had lots of projects for camping gear. Most of the sewing for DIY hammocking is pretty quick and simple (it's not like making tailored clothes), so it shouldn't cost very much to have an UQ done or your comforter modded to suit. You just need to explain clearly what you want and provide the materials & measurements/diagrams. Then magic happens, and then you have your cool stuff!

I lived in SF and then ABQ for 40 years, and I really miss hiking in NM! Mountains and mesas, sand and sun... And chile on almost anything. Green, please!