Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    JRB GL3 + REI bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images

UQ-should I use down or wool

I am working on becoming a hammock camper. I just listed my Kelty tent, and I'm going to use those funds to buy a WB DL hammock (either the BB or the traveler). I have ground mat that I plan to use in the DL, but I wanted to figure out an UQ. In the closet, I have both several quality wool blankets and a down comforter.

1. what do you think about the possibility of rigging up a wool blanket into an UQ? I was thinking about doubling it over and running channels to attach and across to snug it up (similar to a poncho liner type of construction)
    2. what's a recommendation on a way to use the down comforter? do I need to build/buy an UQ shell and fill it up with the down? is there another way to use it?

Initially I will be more of a 3 season camper here in NM, and avoid severe cold weather (<20). I do not have a sewing machine. I plan on purchasing the materials and finding someone locally to help me.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    It depends on what type of hanging you are planning on doing. Wool will work, but won't pack and weighs a lot. I have heard of people rigging up something with a comforter without modification. Your best result will be having down in an actual UQ. I guess it really comes down to a matter of money and resources. You will have to figure out what is best for you at the moment, any of the above options can be made to work.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    JRB GL3 + REI bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I see your insulation approach is a DIY 20deg UG. how did you put this together?

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    JRB GL3 + REI bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I do want to put my gear in a pack, and go 10 mi back in the woods for some Peace and Quiet...so it will need to be light. I guess using the comforter would be my best route. I'm trying to make it a win, win, win. Get some unused stuff repurposed and save some $$. Especially with me trying this out for the first time.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Here is the write up I did with my down quilt. There are others out there that are better. I also use a PLUQ for temps from the mid 40's and up. The plan is to eventually make a set of 40° down quilts. I found quite a bit of My Luxe 800 fill stuff on eBay a while back that I use for my down source. The comforters you already have will work, although you might want to consider something better if they don't list a fill rating. If you don't have any sewing experience you might want to find a shell that you just need to fill and close. I can't remember off the top of my head who does that.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    You are smart to ask up front.

When I started, I cobbled together a hammock setup and camped on the back porch for a few months. My gear was adequate.

Then, I got into backpacking. WOW!! My pack ended up huge. A synthetic 0 degree bag and a Poncho liner blanket left no room at all.

Slowly, I came to appreciate down for it's compressibility.
    I still go back and forth between a down underquilt and pads. Mainly because my Gearskin type DIY pack (http://www.moonbowgear.com/1trailgea...rskinhome.html ) requires a sleeping pad for stiffness.

Good luck in your endeavors. I sure you'll do fine
    grinder

I to live in new Mexico and I rigged up a comforter for a while but truth be told I was warmer using a ccf pad. If the sweat bothers you buy a sleeping bag liner (they can cost as little as 10 or 15 bucks) and slide the pad in there. Its cheap, light , and warm.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    You aren't going to want to carry wool 10 miles. It's heavy and bulky. Go for the down, or like lobodelanoche said, see if a pad works for you.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    JRB GL3 + REI bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    thank you everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I repurposed a down sleeping bag that we weren't going to use, shook down as much as I could opposite where I was going to sew, and sewed across the lengths, both zippers, and across the head and foot to make a rectangle. Then cut across (outside) the new seams and hemmed the edges with ribbon to make channels for my elastic shock cord. Cost me next to nothing aside from a few hours pulling out half a zipper before getting frustrated and just sewing and cutting. IF you can find a decent used down bag on the bay or craigslist, it is worth it to make one if you are willing to sew your own.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast