Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Love the Polypro Mike. I am wondering if a Pack Cover (on or off the pack) could replace the polypro and be hung underneath the hammock to provide some splash protection at the hammocks lowest point? I am thinking of something like a Big Carl" Dutch line and hook from each strap or buckle; while getting multiple use out of a pack cover. (I myself do not plan on using an UQ Protector and currently use a piece of sunshade windshield pad for my shoes and pack to sit on underneath the hammock. (The sunshade is a backup pad in the hammock). I currently use a Pack Cover but not sure if I will purchase one for a new pack in the future; because many packs (especially CF) no longer require a cover.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    Here it is, Thunder, but I've made an improvement since the picture by running lines from each corner:

Attachment 93617
    Nice! Is the UQ Protector something you bring on every trip? Or just certain seasons, weather reports, temperatures etc?

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Thanks, Thunder. Just made it after sleeping in rainy weather last week. We've been in a drought here for years and this was a relatively new set up and I'm relatively new to hammocking.

My last hang before that was under clear skies so didn't even use a tarp. Before that there was no rain. So, I'm on a learning curve here.

My last hang in the rain was in New Mexico last summer; I had a bigger tarp (9x10") so there was no need for splash protection.

But this UL set up uses a minimalist tarp, only 9x6 feet.

The polycro protector is so light that I'll probably always bring it in the UL backpack. It can double as a pack cover.

Now I don't have to worry about rigging up my rain gear for an UQ protector.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Gee, if things are really tight go to The Dollar Store, buy a painters tarp, some tape, string...

I opted to purchase, I wanted the silnylon, I am sometimes very picky, I elected to pay the price of having Miss Donna of Q2ZQ do mine, her skills in working with the silnylon are far superior to mine.

I had two kids to entertain over the Summer, we did lots of hammock things, they made their own protectors out of things they scrounged. When you start thinking outside the box all kinds of things open up. Exercise for the brain.

Salvation Army, yard sales, church sales, Dollar Store, salvage companies, Wal Mart all sorts of places have things that can be acquired inexpensively and will work wonderfully for a quilt protector.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    ... We've been in a drought here for years ...
    I hear that. It's the same story here in southern California. I don't remember the last time it rained.

I wouldn't need a UQ protector for much more than wind robbing the heat from my UQ.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40*
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    A silly question but would adding a UQ protector add any warmth to my 40 degree UQ? Just thinking of extending my hammocking season without having to purchase another $250 plus quilt.
    -No man is above the law and no man is below the law, nor do we ask his permission when we require him to obey it.

Theodore Roosevelt, 1903

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    It could add maybe 5' degrees.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallyrob View Post
    A silly question but would adding a UQ protector add any warmth to my 40 degree UQ? Just thinking of extending my hammocking season without having to purchase another $250 plus quilt.
    Less "add warmth" and more "keep breezes from stealing warmth". With still air, the UQ will be good to about the same temperature. However, with even only moderate wind, you'll be considerably warmer with the UQP than without.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Wallyrob, FLRider has a great explanation. If you decide to get a UQP from 2QZQ, I recommend the $3 bridge hammock mod which provides 4 sets of tabs that can be used to close the top of the UQP up making it warmer. I really like the UQP - takes the breeze/dampness out of the weather equation.
    Another efficient Option would be to add a $75 3 season Jarbrige (from Arrowhead Equip); Then stacking quilts will get you to 20F easy.
    Below 20F just add a hot water bottle and you are good to 12/15F or lower.
    Add a fleece blanket inside your TQ and put your feet in a bag or your jacket - wear a hat/hood - all the standard cold weather stuff.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Lesovik Draka + many more
    Tarp
    Superfly + alot
    Insulation
    Quilts Tq+Uq
    Suspension
    Woopiesling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    Gee, if things are really tight go to The Dollar Store, buy a painters tarp, some tape, string...

I opted to purchase, I wanted the silnylon, I am sometimes very picky, I elected to pay the price of having Miss Donna of Q2ZQ do mine, her skills in working with the silnylon are far superior to mine.

I had two kids to entertain over the Summer, we did lots of hammock things, they made their own protectors out of things they scrounged. When you start thinking outside the box all kinds of things open up. Exercise for the brain.

Salvation Army, yard sales, church sales, Dollar Store, salvage companies, Wal Mart all sorts of places have things that can be acquired inexpensively and will work wonderfully for a quilt protector.
    I se your point. But i'm not from the big US of A.
    So those stores you are mentioning, we don't have here in Denmark.
    And the import tax plus postage gets it op, close to 85 dollars.
    And that, I will not spend on a uqp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast