WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY QUILT pads
    Suspension
    Web straps whoopie

New hanger in California

Hello everyone. new to hanging this summer, but I have backpacked and car camped for many years. All my camping trips are for one reason: to fly fish for trout, with camping as a means to an end. After coming across Jeff's Hiking Page, there were references to hammocks. I followed that thread because of interest, and now here I am. It seemed to me that I could be more comfortable sleeping, stay just as warm as in a tent, with some slight changes to my routines, still being protected from the weather, etc. The warm, comfortable sleep is what convinced me to try it.
    I spent much time reading the different topics on this forum, and checking mfg. web sites for equipment. A lot more thinking of my needs and web sites. In early September, I decided to purchase a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC DL 1.7 hammock and a Superfly. I spent a weekend or two setting both items up in my backyard, taking them down and back up again. Finally, I decided to spend the full night in the hammock with the tarp set up also. I was impressed. I spent the next nite also. 2 wonderful sleeps. This is going to be FUN. Since I truck camp, weight is not critical. Comfort is. The hammock provides plenty of that. The tarp provides the weather protection and wind blockage necessary for me. I have to play with and finalize my pad arrangement with the double layer hammock, which works rather well by the way, and try a few bags and quilts I own and DIY'd over the years and still use. Different guyline arrangements and types of rope for ridgelines, pullouts, carry extra poles for porch mode, etc. Lots to experiment with and decide. With the cooler weather approaching, much more testing to do, in backyard or locally, overnite.
    In my short time on Hammock Forum, I am very impressed with the generosity and patience from all the members to us newbs. Very mature, patient, and generous with their knowledge.I am very impressed and thankful.
    A short bio: born and raised in San Francisco, living north of SF for almost 40 yrs. Career as an electrician in SF. Now retired 5 yrs.Wife and 2 daughters, all camping together many times over the years. Daughters in their mid-20's, the oldest still camps and fly fishes with old Dad. Many of my camp/fish trips are solo, sometimes a friend along. Really looking forward to the pleasure of hammocking on future fishing trips. I will still carry a tent, but seriously intend to use the hammock/tarp. Not all campsites are accomodating where I sometimes go, but that's ok.
    Now, if I could just find those 2 perfect trees!!! I will post my thoughts, questions, etc. in appropriate sub-forums. Looking forward to it all. My screenname is kinda self-explanatory, but kinda catchy, I thought.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Welcome!! I am across the bay! All you need now are hammocks for the rest of your gang.

Quote Originally Posted by Novatoflyguy View Post
    Now, if I could just find those 2 perfect trees!!!
    Ha! Finding two perfect trees sounds like the perfect quest for either a weekend or a lifetime. That's my new mission. Thanks for the inspiration.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Welcome from far West Texas, there are no perfect trees ;-)
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    We used to live on Ignacio Boulevard (down by the community college) in Novato!! Small world, indeed. Welcome, friend!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY QUILT pads
    Suspension
    Web straps whoopie
    Thanks for the welcomes everyone. Pip, it is a small world, isn't it? Really looking forward to contributing here. Thanks again.

• + New Posts