Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11 ft.
    Tarp
    12 ft Tadpole
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Full Whoopie Hook

What do you guys think? Old Man Winter Size . . .

I currently have (and love) my tadpole. Its 144" and I have both door kits and an external pole mod. I'm thinking about getting a winter tarp and the option, for me is clear . . . I need an OMW. I am considering the length and pole mod options. I really think I like the look of the porch mode (I use it alot) with the center pole option, but it seems like most people are still hangin on to the two external poles. Help a brother out . . .what are the pros and cons? Also, I have had a couple of occasions with my 11 ft hammock, where I felt that I couldn't pitch the tarp as low as I wanted because of the fact that the extended length tarp would contact my suspension when I started lowering it (at some point.) So, 11ft hammock -- 11ft OMW or stick with the 12 footer?

Dave
    Dave "Tbird911"
    Knoxville, TN

Any Day Above Ground . . .

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    That's the reason I was never drawn to a 12' ridge line, coverage is nice but the geometry interferes with you hammock suspension on a low pitch.

The 11' ridge line allows that lower pitch and is plenty of coverage for a 10' or even for an 11' hammock which I use more often now.

I can't give you much advice about the pole mod but I do hang in deep winter quite a bit and I use porch mode quite often unless there are high winds. Even then I might still open up the leeward end or a corner.

David

Images
    With a small tarp getting it close to the hammock is pretty important should a storm come thru. The big advantage with a larger tarp is you don't have to hang it so low.
    Which means no bending over everytime you get under the tarp. In winter I am under the tarp a lot more so being able to stand HomoErectous is much nicer on my back.
    Which is really hurting from carrying all that winter gear.
    hth

11' hammock 12' winter tarp.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 09-22-2014 at 09:15.

Hammock
    Tarp
    12 ft Tadpole
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Full Whoopie Hook
    Yep,

I have the 144" rl Tadpole and it's great! I ordered (30 minutes ago) a 132" RL OMW -- I got black with the center internal pole mod. My thoughts:

- I already have a tarp with the external pole mod and it's great-- the internal would let me try something new
    - I mostly pitch in porch mode-- the cernter pole mod seems to really do a great job of "opening" up the tarp
    - If I want to add the two pole external mode later . . . no sewing required- just have to send money
    - only one pole to carry so, less expense, maybe less weight, possibly a little easier/faster to pitch
    - The 132" lets me pitch as high as I basically want, but also give me the option to pitch lower than I could with my 144" tadpole. Also thought about using this as a "ground" option if I had to.
    - Let me know if I'm wrong on this, but 144" gives about 17" of overhang on each side of my 11ft Tadpole- which I often pitch without door kit-- the 132" OMW would give me about 11" overhang on each end which should be ample too since I will always have doors with me. (the OMW has them built in)
    -- the OLD MAN is Bad A$$ so why not?

Dave
    Dave "Tbird911"
    Knoxville, TN

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    You have (imho) the perfect winter tarp setup with the 132'OMW w/int.center pole mod.
    omw porch&doors.jpg
    The CPM (center pole mod) makes the porch so much nicer.
    * CPM acts as a transverse ridge line to prevent water from pooling between the porch poles.
    * porch poles are not necessary in low wind. or can be removed hrs. before "bedtime" to hasten the porch being closed for the night
    * CPM allows the center stake out to be left un-staked allowing for more air movement and keeping the tarp side well tensioned.
    omw porch-poles bw.jpg
    I like to hang my Micro candle lantern from the center stake out loop when in porch mode.**BE SURE TO EXERCISE CAUTION**!!!
    IMG_0134.jpg
    It is my belief that the OMW w/Int. pole mod is the closest thing to a "Do It All" tarp setup that can be found.
    It's top shelf for roominess, versatility, protection and workmanship!
    You defiantly will be a Happy Hanger, all year round.

__bob__

Hammock
    Tarp
    12 ft Tadpole
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Full Whoopie Hook
    Thanks for the great info Flatline..... WL stuff I'd great and they atr
    Great to do business with! I have a mini hozuki lantern that will go right where you're talking about.

Dave
    Dave "Tbird911"
    Knoxville, TN

Hammock
    HH Expedition zip
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Thanks for the always informative post Flatline. I love my OMW; it is my go to tarp when I expect any kind of serious weather.

Hammock
    Tarp
    12 ft Tadpole
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Full Whoopie Hook
    WOW! Again . . . ordered on 9/22/2014 and shipped yesterday . . .
    Dave "Tbird911"
    Knoxville, TN

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just got into this pole thing, adding a pole mod to my superfly. I've always missed a center tie out, and this looks to be the set-up that'd be my ideal.

Hmmm, my cuben fibre tarp is getting closer and closer to being put up for sale...

Hammock
    Tarp
    12 ft Tadpole
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Full Whoopie Hook
    Old Man Winter has landed . . . I spent a good chunk of the day getting it rigged. I'm throwing up a few pics here-- realize that it is pitched low and "flat," I had to take what I could get.

I used two stingers and two lengths of Lash-It for the separate ridge lines . . .really like this on my Tadpole. For the six main guy lines, I used a combo of Lawson Lime Glowire, micro line locks and 1/8" shock cord. The doors were done with shock cord and mitten clips.

IMAG00094 (Medium).jpg IMAG00095 (Medium).jpg IMAG00096 (Medium).jpg IMAG00098 (Medium).jpg
    Dave "Tbird911"
    Knoxville, TN

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast