Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    BIAS Camper DL
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Thinking of ordering a new WBBB XLC...?

So I'm ready to order a WBBB XLC. I just need advice on two topics...

1) I am 6'3" 235. I really don't know which I feel comfortable ordering...the 1.1 double or the 1.7 double. I want to be comfortable and of course I don't want to crash through. But I'd also like to save some weight if possible because I do hike as light as I can.

2) Due to a health condition, I have to sleep either on my back or on my left side. Would it be better to have the standard lay with the footbox on the right to lay on my left side? Or would it be better to have the left version? I really have no idea because I haven't laid in a WBBB yet.

Thanks for any advice!

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    1.) I'm 6'2", 225, and I was perfectly comfy in my WBBB 1.1 dl. Though I've since traded up to an 11' hammock, I never found the 1.1 dl to be too flimsy or stretchy. You could also consider 1.7 single layer, unless you're certain you're going to be using a pad - I only say that, because I bought the double thinking "just in case I need to" and never ever found myself utilizing the double layer in the 3 years I owned and used it, and found myself wishing I had just bought the 1.7 sl. I think 1.7 dl would be overkill for your size and weight, and would just be added ounces to carry.

2.) I'd go with the standard version. Either will be fine for laying on your back, but if you get the lefty version, laying on your left side will put your face square into a wall of hammock fabric, whereas the standard will be better suited to left side sleeping.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    +1 to both of silentorpheus' suggestions. The DL 1.1 is plenty sturdy for a guy your size, and you definitely want the stock version if you sleep on your left side.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    2.) I'd go with the standard version. Either will be fine for laying on your back, but if you get the lefty version, laying on your left side will put your face square into a wall of hammock fabric, whereas the standard will be better suited to left side sleeping.
    I'm going to disagree with that. If you're sleeping at a diagonal on your left side in the standard version with the footbox on the right your face will be close to the wall of the hammock. With the footbox on the left the back of your head would be close to the wall of the hammock.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    I'm going to disagree with that. If you're sleeping at a diagonal on your left side in the standard version with the footbox on the right your face will be close to the wall of the hammock. With the footbox on the left the back of your head would be close to the wall of the hammock.
    I'm not visualizing what you're suggesting ...

When laying on your back at a diagonal in a regular WBBB, with your head to left of center and your feet in the footbox to the right, the bulk of the hammock fabric rises up to your right, next to your face, and meets the shelf. Your head and face, however, are right next to the edge of the fabric and zipper where you get in and get out. So laying on your left side would be preferred, as you'd have less material in your face before it meets zipper and netting, whereas if you roll over, you've got all that fabric AND the shelf in your face (when you lay on your right side).

Reverse that for the lefty version … so laying on your right would be preferred.

That's been my experience, at least. I find it more comfortable to roll onto my side towards where my head is, then opposite into the fabric of the hammock.

EDIT: To clarify, I don't know what other people do - maybe I'm odd But I view it like a bed … I like to sleep on the edge of the bed, facing off. If I have a bed to myself, and I'm sleeping on my left side, I like to be on the left side of the bed near the edge, facing off the bed. If I roll over, rather than facing into the middle of the bed, I'd rather move to the other side of the bed and sleep on my right side, on the right side of the bed, again facing off the edge of the bed. Same goes for my hammock. Since I lay head left and feet right, I always sleep either on my back or left side. YMMV.
    Last edited by silentorpheus; 09-22-2014 at 17:15.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    I second silentorpheus again. A regular BB/XLC, lying as designed (head left, feet right), facilitates sleeping on your LEFT side. Doing so puts your face towards the bug netting with minimal fabric in your face. Sleeping on your right side is as silentorpheus describes: a face full of fabric and shelf (if there is anything in it).

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Another vote for standard lay.
    I sleep on my back or left shoulder/side. Can't picture sleeping on my right side with my head facing the shelf. I've tried in but unsuccessfully.

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DanglingModifier View Post
    I second silentorpheus again. A regular BB/XLC, lying as designed (head left, feet right), facilitates sleeping on your LEFT side. Doing so puts your face towards the bug netting with minimal fabric in your face. Sleeping on your right side is as silentorpheus describes: a face full of fabric and shelf (if there is anything in it).
    I third that. With a Blackbird, this is the way to go. But.....

I will add that I understand the opposing opinion. If the hammock is reversed and you lay on your left side with the foot box to the left, then your back is to the shelf.

I guess you could go either way. Standard, and your head is one the left edge. Reversed, and your head is more to the middle of the hammock.

I still agree that the standard lay is best.
    Last edited by The Tree Frog; 09-22-2014 at 17:57. Reason: Added thoughts
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

Thinking of ordering a new WBBB XLC...?

Quote Originally Posted by The Tree Frog View Post
    I third that. With a Blackbird, this is the way to go. But.....

I will add that I understand the opposing opinion. If the hammock is reversed and you lay on your left side with the foot box to the left, then your back is to the shelf.
    Unless he has completely changed how it has always been designed, the foot box and the shelf will always be on the same side as each other. So if the foot box is on the left, so is the shelf - there's no way that it can be to your back in a lefty blackbird while laying on your left side.

Unless you're suggesting laying in a lefty WBBB with your head left still (and your feet not in the foot box) in which case what's the point of getting a lefty?

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    Unless he has completely changed how it has always been designed, the foot box and the shelf will always be on the same side as each other. So if the foot box is on the left, so is the shelf - there's no way that it can be to your back in a lefty blackbird while laying on your left side.

Unless you're suggesting laying in a lefty WBBB with your head left still (and your feet not in the foot box) in which case what's the point of getting a lefty?
    Now I learned something new! I didn't know the shelf moved with the foot box. Make sense though. Ok, back to my original vote and comment. Stay with the standard!
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast