Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Just a little mod for my little Scout

My son is 10. He'll be joining a scout troop this winter that does a lot of camping, and they are all really rough on gear. He will likely hammock camp much of the year since base camp is very wooded and has some great spots. That being said, he is only 10, so I need to be sure he can handle his gear before spending the big $$ on better gear/tarps etc. Once he proves he can take care of his stuff, I'll make him a better tarp, but for now, I whipped this cat-hex out of a 9x11 Harbor Freight 4mil today. $7

SAM_2161_1.jpeg

SAM_2162_1.jpeg

SAM_2163_1.jpeg

I was surprised how much the twine reenforcement at the edges and grommets added to the overall weight.

Mighty impressed that I just 'happened' to have the right gutterman shade of blue thread in my stash...

Suggestions for a cheap non-slippery guy line?? The paracord is really slick and slipped when I was pitching it in wind today...

Hammock
    DIY 11'
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Sleep bag
    Suspension
    Home made Whoopies
    Cheap non slippery guy lines, Mason line at walmart or etc. Cheap as you can get ~$2 100ft and durable enough since it is for outdoor use. Used it a lot fishing, trot lines and drop lines.

At 10 they will be car camping and so weight isn't an issue.

What do you mean by twine re-enforcement at the edges? Did you run twine in the the hems?

And it looks Nice!

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nift View Post

What do you mean by twine re-enforcement at the edges? Did you run twine in the the hems?

And it looks Nice!
    Thanks. The original tarp had twine, similar to the stuff you find at HD for tying your stuff in the back of your truck, inside the folded heat-seal hem. I imagine for reenforcement, to keep it from over stretching.

The troop tries to go to a camporee every year and they elect to backpack in. He will be able to use this with his trekking poles as a ground tarp with his tyvek floor, if he doesn't buddy up in a junk tent. They setup in a field, no chance for hammocking there.

I'm coming in as asst scoutmaster so I'll be at many of the campouts to keep an eye on his gear.

Hammock
    DIY 11'
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Sleep bag
    Suspension
    Home made Whoopies
    Look around here and you will find many folks have found ways to solve the camporee issue. Portable hammock stands! When I say they are not backpacking I am thinking 7-20 miles. At 10 they should not be doing that yet. Gives you a couple years to get him understanding caring for it.

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nift View Post
    Look around here and you will find many folks have found ways to solve the camporee issue. Portable hammock stands! When I say they are not backpacking I am thinking 7-20 miles. At 10 they should not be doing that yet. Gives you a couple years to get him understanding caring for it.

LOL It's a 3 mile trek each way, as a Webelos he's already gone with them (he wasn't even the youngest that went with the troop!). He isn't new to backpacking.

However aside from this trip, they aren't backpacking or hiking. With me coming on as ASM, they'll be doing both for the merit badges. I'm really looking forward to it.

Hammock
    SB Pro, Lawson, Everest Double
    Images
    Nice job on the tarp !

Mike

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Great looking tarp. Hopefully he's proud to show it off. Nice job.

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Thanks Mike and Brian.

I like your tarp i might do the same thing for my scouts. I have 2 in boyscouts and 1 in cubscouts. we all use our hammocks. but im scared to sew them a lightweight tarp.

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Welyjr View Post
    I like your tarp i might do the same thing for my scouts. I have 2 in boyscouts and 1 in cubscouts. we all use our hammocks. but im scared to sew them a lightweight tarp.
    Thank you! I feel your fear!

There is another thread with step-by-step pics of how the original op laid it out. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ight=poly+tarp

He went a little more beefy on the reinforcements, and his tarp is heavier duty, and slightly larger. I folded it in half on the 11', then in half on the 9', so it was 5.5'x4.5' then using a bow of tent poles/string shaped to my cat curve, traced with permanent marker and cut through all 4 layers for the hex shape. Cut 1/2" up into the cat curves every few inches to make the double-rolled hem fold easier. I didn't reinforce the corners, just added poly webbing over the double turned hem (to make the poly web loops, simply fold each 6" piece into the shape of an 'awareness ribbon' and sew on.)

For the boy, it'll be fine I think, especially for the cost and one hour of sewing time invested.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast