Partial Quilt Tips

I've been using a hammock for about a year and half now. Based on some recommendations, I purchased a Jarbidge for my first underquilt. It has performed well, but I've only used it to about 35 F. I'm infected with that urge to buy a new down quilt. I don't hike a lot of mileage yet, but would like to and would like to save pack space. Therefore, I am leaning towards a partial quilt. I've seen Shug's video on underquilts and how he inserts a Thermarest sit pad inside the topquilt. I'm only about 5'9 so a 52" quilt should hit me mid-calf. Any other recommendations on how I can be comfortable in the mid 20Fs with a 20F quilt and 20F topquilt beside the sit pad?
    TNX

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Small piece of foam pad cut to size you prefer. Empty pack under feet. Parka or down vest over foot end of hammock. All will work.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    When the temps drop below freezing I usually sleep in a light down jacket that has a hood, cabelas silk medium weight longjohns, thick loose fitting woolsocks and thin wool gloves.
    All these items adds insulation to my quilt system.

If I know the nite temps are going to hit the low 20's I'll usually bring a full length UQ and UQP. For me and I like to sleep warm I switch to full length UQ at freezing.
    Not to say you can't do it with 3/4 uq.

Hammock
    DIY, BB, Snipe
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images
    +1 on the UQP (be sure to use a breathable one.) It cuts the breeze and is pretty light to carry.
    I also like Shug's "parka on the feet." Have been using that every winter since I watched his vid. Works dandy when combined with all of the above.
    If you really want hot feet, get some good down booties.

Hmmmm......winter!
    Last edited by Home Run; 09-23-2014 at 12:00. Reason: Spelling

Thanks cod the tips. I think I'm gonna order the partial. I just have to decide phoenix or grey lock !

Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    HilbillyHanger,

I've been thinking along the same lines, except I'm using a no-sew PLUQ today with only a few overnight hangs of experience. Any of the above would be an upgrade, including the Jarbidge. Are you planning to keep the Jarbidge, or do you think you will move on to down and not look back? Others must have tread this path before.

Did you also look at the Wilderness Logics 3/4? About the same price as your choices, maybe a little bit heavier, but that's ounces of down heavier from what I've read. That and the Phoenix seem to be my early favorites on spec. It's a hypothetical until I save my pennies for the down UQ I want (as suggested by others here on HF). Any feedback on favorites is greatly appreciated.

Slbear

Slbear,
    At this point, I will keep my Jarbidge. It's one of the reasons (along with the great tips) that I'm leaning towards the partial down quilt. I've only used it down to about 35 F a few times, but was comfortable. The only time that I got cold was when I had it cinched too tight one night and created a big ole gap. Also, if I were to sell it, I would probably only "net" about $50 to $60 after paying shipping. For that amount, I'll keep it use it for those trips that extended periods of rain are in the forecast.
    Yes, I looked at Wilderness Logics. I have a hammock and Tadpole tarp from WL and it's all great gear. I have no doubts Marty's quilt would be awesome. In all honesty, I was going to try the phoenix just because I don't have anything from Hammock Gear and all of the great reports. I started considering the Greylock from JRB after my recent purchase from them for a topquilt. I placed the order and had it in two days. The quilt is awesome quality.
    HH

Quote Originally Posted by slbear View Post
    HilbillyHanger,

I've been thinking along the same lines, except I'm using a no-sew PLUQ today with only a few overnight hangs of experience. Any of the above would be an upgrade, including the Jarbidge. Are you planning to keep the Jarbidge, or do you think you will move on to down and not look back? Others must have tread this path before.

Did you also look at the Wilderness Logics 3/4? About the same price as your choices, maybe a little bit heavier, but that's ounces of down heavier from what I've read. That and the Phoenix seem to be my early favorites on spec. It's a hypothetical until I save my pennies for the down UQ I want (as suggested by others here on HF). Any feedback on favorites is greatly appreciated.

Slbear

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I have both 40°and 20° HG Phoenix underquilts. The quality and suspension are fantastic and I have found they are good to their temp. ratings or a little better. What I love is the weight and compressibility. I have tried all manner of stuff under my feet from backpacks to thick longjohns and fuzzy socks, jackets, Z-Rest sit pads and torso pads, and Gossamer gear 1/4" pads of various sizes as my full size pad gets cut down smaller and smaller. I am 6' 2" and like to sleep on my sides or back and move around while sleeping.

I like the GG pad the best (currently) as it makes a good sit pad on the trail, weighs a couple of oz. and tends to stay put if not in my top quilt. I used the dimensions of the Arrowhead pad, but I think that was little too small given my height. I will only put it in the top quilt if it is cool enough for socks and long johns as the foam will pull the hair off my legs if I don't.

My wife and twin 8-year-olds all have Jarbidge underquilts and love them.

All said, there really are sometimes I wish I had gone with the Incubator so I wouldn't have to fight with the pad, but then again, the weight savings can't be beat and I am going to carry a pad anyway.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

• + New Posts