WBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Ridgerunner - How light can it go?

For reasons that I won't get into in this thread, I'm thinking my new Blackbird XLC might not be for me. The Ridgerunner is really appealing for it's perceived comfort and ease of use with the under quilt. However, and a big however, is that I'd want something I can carry backpacking with me, so weight is a concern. The XLC with Whoopies is already at the high end of where I'd like to be with weight. That and I also currently use an Edge tarp so my setup is about as light with a Warbonnet setup as can be.

I'd like some input from folks who have a Ridgerunner. Questions:

- What is the actual weight of the Ridgerunner hammock with everything, spreader bars and suspension included? Also curious what the webbing version weighs vs. the whoopies. I only ask because I've found that listed weights on the website can sometimes not match up exactly with reality. Looking for total ounces.

- How easy is it to substitute a trekking pole for the spreader bar(s)? I carry at least one trekking pole with me on trips, so it's possible that I could use it at the head end to save some weight. Gossamer Gear makes an attractive 4oz. trekking pole that looks like it can accept the adapter at the top of the grip.

- How much would a carbon fiber replacement set weigh, and cost?

- I'd have to get a new tarp. What have you found to be the best option for you, and what is your weight with that? I'm not sure I can afford Cuben at this point, but it's still nice to know my options.

- What's the actual weight of a full length Lynx 3 season?

So yes, I'm mostly concerned about weight. A few ounces here and there is not a big deal, but the cumulative effect can be quite significant! My current shelter and sleeping setup with top and under quilts, hammock and tarp is under 5 lbs, and that's what I'd like to stay under with any future setup. I realize that this may not be possible with a Ridgerunner, but I am curious to see if others have done it. Thanks!

Hammock
    WBXLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Shamu, CrowsNest
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've just received my Ridgerunner yesterday and the component weights are: Ridgerunner - 27 oz/760 g; Poles - 11.5 oz/325 g; Cover - 12 oz/340 g. The RR's weight includes the stuff sack and webbing straps. My HG standard cuben tarp comes in at 6.5 oz including stuff sack and cordage. Hope these numbers give you an idea of a basic setup.
    Solvitur Ambulando - Diogenes

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    My DL Ridgerunner with webbing and buckles, carabiners at the tree end, stock spreader bars, weighs 41 ounces.
    The spreader bars weigh 11 ounces - so maybe some weight could be saved there.

I use a Superfly. With 4 corner tie outs, door tie outs, ridge line, & tarp skins, it weighs 24 ounces.

It seems light weight to me after converting from a Clark setup.
    It's so comfortable I'd probably carry it even if it was 2 lbs heavier...
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    It's so comfortable I'd probably carry it even if it was 2 lbs heavier...
    ^^^This right here.

Unless I attempt a thru hike, the RR will be my first choice. I have 6 other hammocks that are gathered end, just for reference.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Interesting, thanks for the responses so far. I notice now that the double layer is only 2.5oz heavier than a single layer. That would make it almost a no brainer to go for the double layer then.

That's pretty amazing about the weight of the Cuben tarp. Do you find that it is plenty of coverage for the RR? The Superfly looks great too, though the weight of it is a bit of a concern, as well as how much pack space everything would take.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Every time
    I went through a similar process as you and I was also concerned about the weight. Finally ended up with the Warbonnet Ridgerunner and I'm so happy I pulled the trigger. Yes, it has some drawbacks like every system does, but the benefits far outweigh (pun intended) the negatives. For me, it weighs what it weighs....the rest of my kit is light enough that I'm far from struggling on my weekend trips.

In theory, we could all just wander around naked in the woods with a sheet of tyvek and a pop tart. We'd survive and be able to list our base weights on the internet with great pride. In reality, balancing weight with comfort is a fun process. The Ridgerunner fit nicely into my equation.

Good luck in your quest!

Hammock
    WBXLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Shamu, CrowsNest
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My RR is the 1.1 DL version. Now that I think about it, I probably should have gone with the Whoopie option, but that's easily fixed. I just got the RR so I haven't had a chance to work with it and the tarp, but Shug as usual, has a nice video on his RR and cuben tarp setup here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hug+cuben+tarp
    Solvitur Ambulando - Diogenes

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    If you are truly considering the Superfly, don't worry about pack size. For as much coverage as it provides, that thing packs down small. If you compressed it, it'd probably get down to grapefruit size. The stuff sack it comes with is oversized though, to allow the other gear in your pack to squish it into the nooks and crannies.

Great tarp. I love it.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by GravityOutdoors View Post
    I went through a similar process as you and I was also concerned about the weight. Finally ended up with the Warbonnet Ridgerunner and I'm so happy I pulled the trigger. Yes, it has some drawbacks like every system does, but the benefits far outweigh (pun intended) the negatives. For me, it weighs what it weighs....the rest of my kit is light enough that I'm far from struggling on my weekend trips.

In theory, we could all just wander around naked in the woods with a sheet of tyvek and a pop tart. We'd survive and be able to list our base weights on the internet with great pride. In reality, balancing weight with comfort is a fun process. The Ridgerunner fit nicely into my equation.

Good luck in your quest!
    Good points all around. Spreadsheets for backpacking weights are all well and good, unless it doesn't work well when put to use. On my most recent trip I opted for a smaller hammock because I thought the under quilt fit it better. It did, sort of, but if I moved my legs any other spot but at the middle end I'd get an air gap and a cold butt. So I could either sleep cold, or sleep with dead legs. Hence the appeal of the Ridgerunner!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmerton View Post
    snip...
    So yes, I'm mostly concerned about weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmerton View Post
    snip...On my most recent trip I opted for a smaller hammock because I thought the under quilt fit it better. It did, sort of, but if I moved my legs any other spot but at the middle end I'd get an air gap and a cold butt. So I could either sleep cold, or sleep with dead legs.
    Folks mostly concerned with weight don't consider bridge hammocks and the larger tarps required to cover them. You pay the weight and volume penalty for the added comfort.

On your second comment it sounds to me you did not have your UQ adjusted properly.
    Moving around in your smaller hammock or WB XLC gathered end hammock and staying warm should not be an issue if you have things dialed in.

I highly recommend you get together with someone who knows how set up a hammock/quilt system before just throwing money at your issue.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 09-23-2014 at 12:00.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast