WBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    ...before just throwing money at your issue.
    Good point. I've done quite enough of that lately it seems. If I ever went with the RR I'd have to trade in what I currently have for sure. But you're right, I need to learn how to set it up properly before I dismiss it. I guess I just thought it wouldn't be that difficult for a new guy like me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmerton View Post
    Good point. I've done quite enough of that lately it seems. If I ever went with the RR I'd have to trade in what I currently have for sure. But you're right, I need to learn how to set it up properly before I dismiss it. I guess I just thought it wouldn't be that difficult for a new guy like me.
    If you haven't watched the shug videos I highly recommend them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0

Your XLC is one of the nicest hammocks we have to choose from getting your UQ dialed in should not be too hard.
    Just know we are here to help. Do a backyard or local park hang, get a friend to lay in the hammock, take a bunch of picts from all angles.
    You would be supprised how much help that will be. We have many members that can spot and suggest improvements.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 09-23-2014 at 12:08.

Hammock
    WBRR, Numerous DIY
    Tarp
    Winter Palace WBCB
    Insulation
    WB Lynx HG TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Strap/SMC Ring
    I have a DL 1.1 Ridgerunner w/webbing suspension. I use soft shackles between the cinch buckles and apex buckles so that I can remove the straps from the hammock. With feeding the strap through the loop and no carabiners the setup weighs 27.2 oz (no spreader bars). I ordered a set of carbon fiber spreader bars, 2 piece with 28.5" foot end and 35.5" head end from "http://www.rutalocura.com/Tent_Poles.html. They are a little pricey w/shipping @$90 but I had them in less than a week even though they are custom made and they weigh 5.6 oz. My full length lynx 3 season weighs 16.9 oz. If you compare this to my 20* incubator at 22.2 you can subtract that difference from the difference in weight of a gathered end. I have a multitude of GE's in all weights and lengths but the RR is by far the most comfortable IMO. I've used woopies, UCR's and single ring suspensions on all but the webbing suspension with it's ease of use and closeness of set-up to trees is my favorite. I'll trade off that ounce or two. I have a WB Cloudburst tarp that I've used with all hammocks. It has very good coverage, great protection in inclimate weather and with a beak I would consider it 4 season. Trying to shave a few more ounces I did get a HG Camo Winter Palace and equipped with all lines and 2 loop aliens (still use Dutch's Tarp Flyz on other tarp) along with stakes is 17.7 oz ( camo added another ounce or two). I sometimes carry tarp mod poles and UQP but right now my base weight is 12.9 lbs. If I have to add another 15 lbs for a weeks worth of food and water (of course water goes up and down constantly) I'm still very happy with this weight even though I have other hammocks that are lighter. I bought a set of hiking pole adapters with the RR but have never used them. There is a lot of load on those bars and you never know what the hiking poles is actually designed to support plus if you break one.......if you're in the hammock, that's not good and you still have to hike out without it. Just my opinion and the reason I went with the CF bars. Hope this helps but most of the others have stated things along the same line.

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    If you haven't watched the shug videos I highly recommend them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0

Your XLC is one of the nicest hammocks we have to choose from getting your UQ dialed in should not be too hard.
    Just know we are here to help. Do a backyard or local park hang, get a friend to lay in the hammock, take a bunch of picts from all angles.
    You would be supprised how much help that will be. We have many members that can spot and suggest improvements.

Good Luck.
    Thanks so much for the kind words and support! I'd watched and re-watched that video by Shug, so when I went to set it up afterwards I thought I had a pretty good grasp of how to set up the quilt. I'm going to have to give it another go and set up a tripod so I can take videos or pictures while I'm it it to see what's going on. Maybe some Dutch hooks would help too, but I was hoping not to have to sew anything on.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
    I have a DL 1.1 Ridgerunner w/webbing suspension. I use soft shackles between the cinch buckles and apex buckles so that I can remove the straps from the hammock. With feeding the strap through the loop and no carabiners the setup weighs 27.2 oz (no spreader bars). I ordered a set of carbon fiber spreader bars, 2 piece with 28.5" foot end and 35.5" head end from "http://www.rutalocura.com/Tent_Poles.html. They are a little pricey w/shipping @$90 but I had them in less than a week even though they are custom made and they weigh 5.6 oz. My full length lynx 3 season weighs 16.9 oz. If you compare this to my 20* incubator at 22.2 you can subtract that difference from the difference in weight of a gathered end. I have a multitude of GE's in all weights and lengths but the RR is by far the most comfortable IMO. I've used woopies, UCR's and single ring suspensions on all but the webbing suspension with it's ease of use and closeness of set-up to trees is my favorite. I'll trade off that ounce or two. I have a WB Cloudburst tarp that I've used with all hammocks. It has very good coverage, great protection in inclimate weather and with a beak I would consider it 4 season. Trying to shave a few more ounces I did get a HG Camo Winter Palace and equipped with all lines and 2 loop aliens (still use Dutch's Tarp Flyz on other tarp) along with stakes is 17.7 oz ( camo added another ounce or two). I sometimes carry tarp mod poles and UQP but right now my base weight is 12.9 lbs. If I have to add another 15 lbs for a weeks worth of food and water (of course water goes up and down constantly) I'm still very happy with this weight even though I have other hammocks that are lighter. I bought a set of hiking pole adapters with the RR but have never used them. There is a lot of load on those bars and you never know what the hiking poles is actually designed to support plus if you break one.......if you're in the hammock, that's not good and you still have to hike out without it. Just my opinion and the reason I went with the CF bars. Hope this helps but most of the others have stated things along the same line.
    That's very helpful information, thank you! Much to consider.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    There's a learning curve with underquilts. It probably took me half a year before I got somewhat consistent results. Ever since I got a HG underquilt with the "new" suspension system, it has been a lot easier to avoid air gaps. I see that you have a HG underquilt, too. Don't be afraid to crank up the secondary suspension and don't over-cinch the ends. That should help a lot with closing any air gaps. For what it's worth: on my 11' hammocks I use dog bones made from Lash-It to extend the main suspension of my uq. I run the uq suspension over the hammock (you have to thread the hammock ends through the suspension before hanging it), which changes the pull direction in a positive way. Don't know if you get what I'm trying to say. I could take some pictures.

Anyway, try to fix your uq issue before getting a RR. It's certainly a nice hammock, but it is kind of heavy. A badly fitting underquilt is not the best reason to change the complete hammock system. For hiking, GE hammocks are superior to bridge hammocks, unless you're unhappy with the lay.

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks hutzelbein, I'm going to have to start a new thread about fitting the UQ. I was even having problems with the cord slipping loose in the four corners when I would lay down, so it seemed impossible to keep them tight, it was weird. I'm not sure what the differences are between the new and old suspension on the HG quilts are, but I hope mine is the new one! I'd love to see pics of how you set up yours but I should probably ask you to do that on a new thread.

Only other problem is I'm slammed with work right now and don't have a spot to test hang here at the house so it takes more time to go to the park and set it up.

Thank you for your input!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    As you alluded to in your first post...fitting an under quilt on a Ridgerunner, or probably any bridge hammock, is much easier than on a gathered end hammock. If the UQ that you already own is very wide (say, more than 40") it will extend up past the cat cut sides of the Ridgerunner somewhat. Not really a problem but be aware.
    Here is a pic of a 42" wide UQ on a Ridgerunner.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    I have a RR and use a Mt Greylock UQ (3/4 length) with it. I put quilt hooks, 1 to each corner on it, they hook over the grosgrain tabs before the spreader bar ends and inside out. Seems to work well enough. Only problem I've seen is getting the UQ to snug up just right. But then I usually get up tween 12 and 5 for a mid night foray away.

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    For anyone interested in the issue I'd been having with my UQ and XLC here is a new thread I started over in the HG section. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ension-and-Fit It's going to be my main thread in my quest to get it set up the right way. And the more I research the more I realize I have not been doing it the right way. I do kind of wish that HG had an instructional video, or at least some instructions on their website for how best to hang the quilt.

The Ridgerunner absolutely interests me still, as I love sleeping on my side. But seeing as how this is mainly for backpacking I should at least give my current setup a fair shot. Your comments about the RR have been really helpful to me, and probably something I'll revisit at a later time.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    I suppose it makes sense to fix the UQ issues with your XLC before springing for a new RR. But: (1) The Lynx UQ is very easy to put on (the RR) and it really doesn't require the fiddling or learning curve that fitting an UQ seems to need on most GE hammocks. And: (2) Using an UQ designed for any GE hammock on the RR isn't going to fit as well, and will weigh more, than the Lynx will.

So, it seems to me that deciding between a bridge hammock (e.g., RR) and a gathered end one (e.g., your XLC) comes down to the position(s) you like to sleep in, at least as much as the weight difference (favoring any GE hammock). If you sleep on your side or stomach, the RR is a really comfortable place to sleep -- GEs, not so much. The people who prefer GE hammocks for backpacking (because of weight) also seem to sleep happily on their backs. Even backpacking on relatively shorter (e.g., weekend) hikes, I carry my RR's additional weight because getting a much better night's sleep is worth it, to me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast