Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images

Weather shield

PapaSmurf, do you have any idea how much warmer the inside of the hammock is with the shield on? Is it close to what the Travel Sock claims?

Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Many have reported 10-15ish, but I think it varies quite a bit depending on the conditions.
    For me, it's not so much boosting the temperature, but blocking the cold wind that makes the biggest difference.

Hammock
    multicam T-bird
    Tarp
    camo cuben hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*; Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch; whoop
    I was thinking about getting a winter sock, and wondered about condensation if you cinch up the head end. Also wondering about the side pull out on my T-bird that pulls the fabric away from my head; why not put a shock cord loop on the inside of the winter sock that would attach to my T-bird pull out, and a pull out on the out side of the sock?

Hammock
    multicam T-bird
    Tarp
    camo cuben hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*; Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch; whoop
    While I'm at it, I think I would prefer a door. With a dog on my lap, it would be too difficult to reach up and cinch/open the head end of the sock.

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoEvo View Post
    I was thinking about getting a winter sock, and wondered about condensation if you cinch up the head end. Also wondering about the side pull out on my T-bird that pulls the fabric away from my head; why not put a shock cord loop on the inside of the winter sock that would attach to my T-bird pull out, and a pull out on the out side of the sock?
    I think their sock has to be slid down to get in and out, wouldn't your idea prevent this??

Hammock
    multicam T-bird
    Tarp
    camo cuben hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*; Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch; whoop
    Yep, their sock is pulled back and forth for entry/exit. A shock cord loop would be easy to connect/disconnect though. I just looked at a winter sock from Warbonnet, which has a door, but I would rather stay with the Smurfs that made my awesome hammock. I really don't know about the "behind the scenes" competition from our cottage vendors, what the back stories are that go unmentioned, and don't want to step on any toes.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoEvo View Post
    With a TBird all you really need is a UQP. Doubling up the top cover would not really do much for warmth.
    Venting is very important the colder it get.
    I know it's counterintuitive but the colder it gets the more you have to vent to keep the condensation at bay.

Here in Colorado I have done extensive testing during our winters with a custom Winter Gnome setup on my deck.

Down to about 20F I can get away with this sized vent and have no condensation.
    NOTE: the hammock was zipped closed the pict is just to show the vent size at the top.

Below 20F I have to more than double the size of the opening.

One of my first condensation tests back in 2011 @+15F. Using a wbbb with BBO not vented and a sylnylon UQP.
    Needless to say I woke to a frosty morning

I would really like to see Dreamhammocks come up with an integrated breathable UQP to compliment the best top cover out there.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 09-28-2014 at 14:26.

Hammock
    multicam T-bird
    Tarp
    camo cuben hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*; Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch; whoop
    Thanks OutandBack.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11 ft.
    Tarp
    12 ft Tadpole
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Full Whoopie Hook
    FYI . . .I used my Thunderbird, 20 degree underquilt, 40 degree topquilt and the zip-in solid cover down to about 8 degrees. I was comfortable (my body temp runs pretty warm). No comfort issues, but the quilt area area in the vicinity of my face, did get a fair bit of condensation. I can vouch, the solid top cover adds about 10 degrees felt. From now on, I will leave it partially unzipped or get a screen windows sewn in. I might just leave it vented because there is no need for bug protection when it dips down into anywhere near those temps.

Dave

ps. underquilt protector (breathable) is a nice addition and helps block wind.
    Dave "Tbird911"
    Knoxville, TN

Any Day Above Ground . . .

• + New Posts